My Circuital Review

Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyJacket18

I've actually heard the record. On my 4th listen now. Its growing on me but is a bit disappointing. Look, I believe some of the best music, you have to work for as a listener... but Circuital just isn't amazing. No matter how much I may come to enjoy it, as an album or even a collection of tracks, its not what I had hoped for. For the record, MMJ is my favorite band.

If you've heard the 3 available songs (Circuital, Wonderful and Holdin' On To Black Metal), you've heard the 3 best songs on the record. Although the demo version of Wonderful sounds better and more organic to me than the more meticulous studio cut. To be fair, there isn't anything here I don't like... but why settle for good when you could have had shit kicking, heart wrenching, spirit soaring amazingness?

I was jumpin out my skin as I sat down last night and fired it up.

Circuital starts with such promise and then meanders into uninspired territory for most of the middle (black metal excluded) and in the end sort of fades out, slowly and... somewhat generically. Lyrically tracks vary from flat out amazing to just flat and easy. Think slam dunk vs. layups.

At times there are sounds coming from the speakers that seem to defy imagination. But in equal measure, Circuital has compositions that sound so... established and... heard. Only tiny nuances place the Jacket stamp on sounds that have been done before. From a distance, it feels like MMJ looked back at their catalogue and crafted 10 songs that encapsulated a different aspect of their sound over the years, with 1 or 2 new ideas thrown in. Its like each track is from a different band all trying to sound like a component of the MMJ we know and love.

Vocally Jim is much more restrained then ever before. If you've been a fan through their evolution, you might be able to envision what they're capable of. This album is kind of like an A student turning in a B paper. You can't fail him or her for not living up to their potential, but you want to. A shortage of solos and the typical guitar personality of MMJ fame makes parts of Circuital feel smaller than they should.

Victory Dance - is amazing, new, familiar and epic - but I would have loved to see this a few tracks later with its guts blown out the back of the track in an extra 2 minute jam session.

Circuital - at track 2 is perhaps the best. Its the only one with any aforementioned instrumental part.

The Day Is Coming - has Bo bouncing keys off the back of your mind, while scattered chops of Jim's vocals ease you into a track that basically is the indie rock equiv of Live Like You Were Dying. Its good, but small and contained.

Wonderful - is just that. But again, the studio seems to take its toll on vocals and instruments. Its too... in place and feels more meticulous than it needs to.

Outta My System - starts with promise and a great opening line. But just when you think the tempo's gonna kick up, it goes for a more languid vibe and the lyrics sort of falter. It def doesn't feel back to their roots at all.

Holdin On To Black Metal - Is the wildest, new-fangled and rockin cut. But where I had hoped the track would be a wave of genius in an ocean, it winds of standing out as possibly the most inspired.

First Light - Fun, fuzzy and infectious this is the Aluminum Park of Circuital. It doesn't need to exist, but you'll take it.

You Wanna Freak Out - So this one cut out abruptly @ 1:40 for me. I hope to all that is good in the world that there's like 5 - 7 minutes missing from a great track. If not then its fated to fall in with the bottom half of the tracks.

Slow Slow Tune - Evocative pedal steel threatens to overwhelm before warm vocals hush its aching fever. This happens twice. A slow song that doesn't seem to get off the ground. Its nice.

Movin Away - I really do love this song. Its honest and emotional. Could have done without Slow Slow Tune and just had this one. As a closer it works but we've been spoiled by MMJ closers in the past few records. Will there ever be another Dondante? Probably not... but one can wish.

A lot of Circuital doesn't feel like it will rock live, despite MMJ claims of this being a live record. A few great tracks will be assimilated into the repertoire and the rest of the record will probably be forgotten. And it doesn't feel too rootsy either. Maybe just echos of the trail they've blazed, but its all meshed in the chaos of post-indie identity crisis. Where there should have been rockin arena glam bursting through the seams of back-to-the-earth rockers reminiscent of 03 - 05, there's a contained pop foundation with moderate flare on top.

No disrespect to MMJ, after all they've done and been, we can let this slide. Again, its good enough, just not great. To the point where you kind of want to ask for some sort of explanation. Where did all the personality go? The jams, the twist and turns through a fluid yet alien sonic plane of existence? Where be they Mr. James & co? Considering we're probably not getting another album until @ 2014... this will have to do. Steel yourselves MMJ fans cause there will be some haters when this drops. Until next time... beggars can't be choosers so learn to love what you got folks.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: MyJacket18 on May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM
Circuital starts with such promise and then meanders into uninspired territory 

Sort of like your review   :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 04, 2011, 06:16 PM

Speak for yourself.  This is the single greatest review of a record I have ever read. 
There's Still Time.........

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

why the fuck did I just read that bullshit?  It's better than evil urges.  I'm Amazed, Sec Walkin', Thank You Too, Two Halves.  not one of those tracks stand up to any of the tracks on Circuital with the exception of maybe Outta My System and First Light (only because of they're repetitive).  However, even first lights outro is supreme.  The horns and string work is top notch.  Slow Slow Tune sounds like it was recorded on tape, sent back to the past and re-recorded during tennessee fire or at dawn and then left to settle in the dust until now.  My predication is these songs will rock way harder live than expected.  there is plenty of room for them to grow and the dense melodic songs are really nice and fresh. 

e_wind

i went into reading this pissed off waiting to pick it apart and what not. then I found myself agreeing with almost all of it.

my main disagreement is that i thought the studio wonderful was WONDERFUL. so, so beautiful. really really loved it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

after hearing Wonderful live over the years, it's hard to listen to the studio version--i agree with this, i just wanted it raw
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on May 04, 2011, 07:00 PMSlow Slow Tune sounds like it was recorded on tape, sent back to the past and re-recorded during tennessee fire or at dawn and then left to settle in the dust until now. 

I felt the same way about this one,

and I also felt Movin' Away would have fit on ISM or AD

I also really like the studio version of Wonderful, live the added Omnichord!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

I guess I can sort of agree with the "review" that started this thread, but my overall impression is more positive. 

First of all, and THIS is why I love MMJ, they didn't make this or any album or song to make YOU happy.  This is what Jim conceives and the other 4 boys help him to realize.  This is HIS concept and passion.  If YOU like it, great.  But MMJ isn't making music to make money, score a radio hit, sell records, sell out stadiums, or taking orders from "fans". 

I miss the lack of epic guitar mindfucks, but MMJ doesn't want them in this album.  Guess what?  That's their choice.  We can come along for this ride or hop off and wave goodbye.

Me, I jumped on the MMJ bus in May of 2008 and am loving the ride.  I don't know where we're going, sometimes I'd prefer we go left when they go right, but its fun as hell and often a sweet surprise.   
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Penny Lane on May 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
after hearing Wonderful live over the years, it's hard to listen to the studio version--i agree with this, i just wanted it raw

oh penny, no!! Wonderful is produced to perfection and way less boring than it is live.  the strings, perfect accompaniment.  the ending when it all comes in is exactly what it needs.   oye people are going to be snarlin' when this puppy comes out officially.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: FiddleCastro on May 04, 2011, 10:20 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on May 04, 2011, 07:00 PMSlow Slow Tune sounds like it was recorded on tape, sent back to the past and re-recorded during tennessee fire or at dawn and then left to settle in the dust until now. 

I felt the same way about this one,

and I also felt Movin' Away would have fit on ISM or AD

I also really like the studio version of Wonderful, live the added Omnichord!

yeah, The Day Is Coming has an almost Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 1 vibe going on with it.  I love that tune so much.  Wonderful reminds me of Golden 2.0 or Bermuda Highway 2.0.  something in that zone.  then outta my system has an MOF vibe to me.  Victory Dance reminds me of a Cobra-ish type vibe.  first four tracks crossfade into each other.  plus we've still got an entire song missing from the album.  You Wanna Freak Out is waiting in the wings to blow minds still.

e_wind

I'd actually say First Light is the only song I'm not in love with. Like I've said many times, every listen I discover something great in every song. In VD the  "SETTING SUNNNSS" background vocals are amazing.

The song seems like its DYING to explode at the very end, and I bet it does live.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mgriff73

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
I guess I can sort of agree with the "review" that started this thread, but my overall impression is more positive. 

First of all, and THIS is why I love MMJ, they didn't make this or any album or song to make YOU happy.  This is what Jim conceives and the other 4 boys help him to realize.  This is HIS concept and passion.  If YOU like it, great.  But MMJ isn't making music to make money, score a radio hit, sell records, sell out stadiums, or taking orders from "fans". 

I miss the lack of epic guitar mindfucks, but MMJ doesn't want them in this album.  Guess what?  That's their choice.  We can come along for this ride or hop off and wave goodbye.

Me, I jumped on the MMJ bus in May of 2008 and am loving the ride.  I don't know where we're going, sometimes I'd prefer we go left when they go right, but its fun as hell and often a sweet surprise.   

Very well put Johnyyac.  :beer:

Tracy 2112

"If you've been a fan through their evolution, you might be able to envision what they're capable of. This album is kind of like an A student turning in a B paper. You can't fail him or her for not living up to their potential, but you want to."

That gem there is the absolute reason I stopped ever reading any sort of review about anything that has to do with anything about 20 years ago, other than for my own amusement and to thank God all-mighty that I don't take myself so seriously that I feel the need to "grade" someone's heart. I haven't heard this album, but I guarn-damn-tee you that it's not at all "like" an A student turning in a B paper. Maybe you can encourage Jim and the boys to work harder to pull up their grades...to live up to "their" potential that you know they are capable of achieving.

THEIR potential that YOU want them to reach so YOU will be satisfied.

I'll clean that up later.

Good night  :)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 05, 2011, 12:29 AM
"If you've been a fan through their evolution, you might be able to envision what they're capable of. This album is kind of like an A student turning in a B paper. You can't fail him or her for not living up to their potential, but you want to."

That gem there is the absolute reason I stopped ever reading any sort of review about anything that has to do with anything about 20 years ago, other than for my own amusement and to thank God all-mighty that I don't take myself so seriously that I feel the need to "grade" someone's heart. I haven't heard this album, but I guarn-damn-tee you that it's not at all "like" an A student turning in a B paper. Maybe you can encourage Jim and the boys to work harder to pull up their grades...to live up to "their" potential that you know they are capable of achieving. THEIR ptential that YOU want them to reach so YOU will be satisfied.

Sweet dreams schnuckums.
10 bucks on shorty
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Running Oz

Ruckus thank you for your reply to this post.  While I'm a new poster on this forum I've been reading and following the band through this site since I discovered them in '06.  The review by the OP'er sounds like retreads from Pearl Jam's site ever since Riot Act came out.  The guitar's this, rhythm section that, Jim shoulda sang it this way.  Same folks who get mad because the band didn't play their particular deep cut favorite during the 10th time they've seen the band live while they sit on their hands because they've lost the magic of just enjoying what's being created.  But that's just my particular opinion not being able to play a note on an instrument while having listened to a lot of music over my many years.  ::)
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

MickeyReds

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 04, 2011, 06:16 PM

Disagree
As long as you keep a straight face...

MickeyReds

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 05, 2011, 12:29 AM

That gem there is the absolute reason I stopped ever reading any sort of review about anything that has to do with anything about 20 years ago, other than for my own amusement and to thank God all-mighty that I don't take myself so seriously that I feel the need to "grade" someone's heart. I haven't heard this album, but I guarn-damn-tee you that it's not at all "like" an A student turning in a B paper. Maybe you can encourage Jim and the boys to work harder to pull up their grades...to live up to "their" potential that you know they are capable of achieving.

THEIR potential that YOU want them to reach so YOU will be satisfied.

Agreed. I have listened to the album and my mind is in a tornado. Fan FUCKING tastic is an understatement.

DougMac

I don't agree with everything in the review but the essence is correct.  It's better than Evil Urges (not hard) but that's two average records in a row by a band who are capable of a so much more.   I can't lie, I'm disappointed and I suspect many others will be as well. 

MickeyReds

Give it a week. You'll change your mind.

The DARK

Quote from: Running Oz on May 05, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ruckus thank you for your reply to this post.  While I'm a new poster on this forum I've been reading and following the band through this site since I discovered them in '06.  The review by the OP'er sounds like retreads from Pearl Jam's site ever since Riot Act came out.  The guitar's this, rhythm section that, Jim shoulda sang it this way.  Same folks who get mad because the band didn't play their particular deep cut favorite during the 10th time they've seen the band live while they sit on their hands because they've lost the magic of just enjoying what's being created.  But that's just my particular opinion not being able to play a note on an instrument while having listened to a lot of music over my many years.  ::)

To be honest, I think this is one of my major beefs with music fans these days. The way that music is consumed, through entire catalogues that that can be found essentially for free over the internet if you so choose, fans invest a lot less energy in one particular band, and look too much at the big picture.

Instead of buying records from a band that writes a lot of GOOD Americana songs, modern fans only want to buy the BEST Americana songs, as objectively chosen by God-knows-who. As much as I love top 10 lists, they're a big part of the problem; they try to hold unique, worthwhile songs up to the "greatest" songs in a genre, which they will never be able to reach because those original songs defined the standards in the first place. So many modern reviewers make a living off of this type of journalism, only ever comparing albums to their influences and giving middling grades for not living up to those standards.

In the same way, if a band ever makes a "great" record, everything they do after will be judged unfairly against it. Because Circuital is somewhat similar in sound to Z, all the reviews will complain about what Circuital doesn't do that Z did: no rockers, not as innovative, etc. Yet at the same time, innovation gets frowned upon too; Z still gets criticism for not being It Still Moves Pt 2, because so many people couldn't be arsed to view the band as anything other than "southern-fried" and "alt-country". Mark my words: no publication will ever rank Circuital or any album after it as the best MMJ album.

But us saying that picking between MMJ albums is like picking between children isn't just an exaggeration; that's exactly how it is. In both cases, there's no good reason for you to be picking between them in the first place.

/rant. Enjoy Circuital. It's pretty amazing.
In another time, in another place, in another face