Rolling Stone 100 Albums of the Decade

Started by murph468, Dec 09, 2009, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248017/100_best_albums_of_the_decade/

I dont take much stock into these lists, but its always nice to see MMJ on 'em.  They're number 31 right into between Lil Wayne and Radiohead  ;D.  

el_chode

Quotehttp://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248017/100_best_albums_of_the_decade/

I dont take much stock into these lists, but its always nice to see MMJ on 'em.  They're number 31 right into between Lil Wayne and Radiohead  ;D.  

I really hate their write up of it.  I don't hear Skynyrd at all. In fact, this makes me want extend the fake feud and say that if anything, they're Neil.
I'm surrounded by assholes

TEO

I think I own like one cd out of that entire list... ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jaimoe

Quotehttp://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31248017/100_best_albums_of_the_decade/

I really hate their write up of it.  I don't hear Skynyrd at all. In fact, this makes me want extend the fake feud and say that if anything, they're Neil.

I find that their more southern rocker-leaning guitar epics suggest Skynyrd's influence. Perhaps MMJ deconstruct or think outside the southern rock box. I think One Big Holiday, Lay Low, What a Wonderful Man, I'm Amazed etc... take old school southern and turn it on its head. I also hear lots of Crazy Horse in there too.

xmascriminal

Rolling Stone always makes horrible lists. Once I saw Return to Cookie Mountain at #98, I gave up any hopes of it being decent.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteRolling Stone always makes horrible lists. Once I saw Return to Cookie Mountain at #98, I gave up any hopes of it being decent.

don't worry about it, Kanye West has three albums on the list so all is right in the world.  

He should only have one, his first album.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

jones

QuoteRolling Stone always makes horrible lists. Once I saw Return to Cookie Mountain at #98, I gave up any hopes of it being decent.

I definitely agree with you on this.  I think I saw Dear Science further up, but I like Cookie Mountain more, personally.

el_chode

I find that their more southern rocker-leaning guitar epics suggest Skynyrd's influence. Perhaps MMJ deconstruct or think outside the southern rock box. I think One Big Holiday, Lay Low, What a Wonderful Man, I'm Amazed etc... take old school southern and turn it on its head. I also hear lots of Crazy Horse in there too.

I just  consider a lot of skynyrd to be a little cheeky. The closest I hear in MMJ is the end of lay low really. I mean yeah MMJ is southern, but when I think "Southern Rock" I think ZZ Top, Skynyrd (& .38 Special, which I'm waiting for MMJ to cover), less complexity and more bluesy. MMJ's got a bit more of an epic stretch, even early on.

My Monkey Friend

This list was mainly crap. MMJ should have had all albums on there, as they are all pretty different and all groundbreaking. Green day should never be on any "top" list, they just started bashing bush to sell records and become relevant again. It just seems they left off a lot, mainly MMJ.

Jaimoe

I just  consider a lot of skynyrd to be a little cheeky. The closest I hear in MMJ is the end of lay low really. I mean yeah MMJ is southern, but when I think "Southern Rock" I think ZZ Top, Skynyrd (& .38 Special, which I'm waiting for MMJ to cover), less complexity and more bluesy. MMJ's got a bit more of an epic stretch, even early on.

Now .38 Special were/are cheeky, far more than even Molly Hatchet. The non-overplayed Skynyrd tracks are still incredible such as "Tuesday's Gone" and "Simple Man"; I realize these two tracks get lots of play on rock radio, but they were never hits.

I think ZZ Top falls into the Texas blues, heavy blues categories instead of Southern rock.

I really don't hear the Allmans too much in MMJ's sound. Well, maybe in the more atmospheric tracks. Certainly the jams are a bit ABB inspired.

el_chode

I've never considered Allman's truly southern rock aside from the kitschy songs. To me they're pure jam. I think that may be a meaningless distinction though.

.38 special are my #1 guilty pleasure act, I can't help it.

Don't hear much Allmans in MMJ either though, but I think if they ever did an instrumental they'd probably get compared to Jessica automatically.  

I also feel dirty doing these comparisons.

Jaimoe

QuoteI've never considered Allman's truly southern rock aside from the kitschy songs. To me they're pure jam. I think that may be a meaningless distinction though.

Don't hear much Allmans in MMJ either though, but I think if they ever did an instrumental they'd probably get compared to Jessica automatically.  

Well, the Allmans invented the southern rock genre and their in-prime songs and albums transcend the genre. But they aren't as rock influenced as followers .38 Special, Molly Hatchet and Skynyrd.

capt. scotty

2 Springsteen albums in the Top 20
M.I.A. has 2 on the list, 1 in the Top 10
;D

I still dont get the love at all for Is This It?

I too share the sentiment that once I saw RTCM at #98, I wasnt going to be impressed.

Surprising thing is, if you look at the artists they had vote for this list, its pretty respectable. One Jim James was one of the voters. Id be cool to see his personal list.

...that said, their song list is a little more in line with what Id have at the top than pitchfork's with 1,2, and 3 for me being Seven Nation Army, Hey Ya, and Crazy
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote2 Springsteen albums in the Top 20
M.I.A. has 2 on the list, 1 in the Top 10
;D

I still dont get the love at all for Is This It?

I too share the sentiment that once I saw RTCM at #98, I wasnt going to be impressed.

Surprising thing is, if you look at the artists they had vote for this list, its pretty respectable. One Jim James was one of the voters. Id be cool to see his personal list.

...that said, their song list is a little more in line with what Id have at the top than pitchfork's with 1,2, and 3 for me being Seven Nation Army, Hey Ya, and Crazy

The music mag I write for has a pretty snobby Top 50 of the decade list. Most of the list and order of rankings made me simmer in slow-boil anger. The top 10 gets posted tomorrow, but Elephant is #19. C'mon. It's a Top 5 or even #1.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Paste had the best list I've seen so far...Paste is hands down the best mainstream music source out there.  

http://www.rollogrady.com/paste-magazine-50-best-albums-of-the-decade/
God damn those shaky knees.

el_chode

QuoteI've never considered Allman's truly southern rock aside from the kitschy songs. To me they're pure jam. I think that may be a meaningless distinction though.

Well, the Allmans invented the southern rock genre and their in-prime songs and albums transcend the genre. But they aren't as rock influenced as followers .38 Special, Molly Hatchet and Skynyrd.

You know when you said Allmans I was like "oh yeah of course" but they're really just the last ones I think of as far as southern rock. The image that comes to mind is blues rock with more twang. Sort of SRV on one end, Allmans on the other, and Southern Rock somewhere in between.

Ultimately, I think I'm just describing water in degrees of wetness.

Janet

Rolling Stone's lists are crap.  I saw one a few years ago about the top 100 guilarists of all time and I believe Joan Jett was #17.  

Really?

el_chode

QuoteRolling Stone's lists are crap.  I saw one a few years ago about the top 100 guilarists of all time and I believe Joan Jett was #17.  

Really?

Was it last year that they showed the artists ballots for selecting these things and included YY?

Joan Jett is the female non-Aretha that modern female "musicians" like to cite to.

EDIT: that's not to say that women can't be musicians; I'm referring to women who like to pretend to be musicians.

Jaimoe

QuoteRolling Stone's lists are crap.  I saw one a few years ago about the top 100 guilarists of all time and I believe Joan Jett was #17.  

Really?

Was it last year that they showed the artists ballots for selecting these things and included YY?

Joan Jett is the female non-Aretha that modern female "musicians" like to cite to.

EDIT: that's not to say that women can't be musicians; I'm referring to women who like to pretend to be musicians.

There's lots of men pretenders too, especially the ones in bands in the '90s. Also, anyone who wields a Flying V better know how to play the thing; Albert King should haunt Lenny Kravitz. Joan Jett and especially Chrissie Hynde are good rhythm  guitarists and extremely influential - Chrissie's influence crosses genders.  

el_chode

Really?

There's lots of men pretenders too, especially the ones in bands in the '90s. Also, anyone who wields a Flying V better know how to play the thing; Albert King should haunt Lenny Kravitz. Joan Jett and especially Chrissie Hynde are good rhythm  guitarists and extremely influential - Chrissie's influence crosses genders.  

Guys cite to Joan Jett too? Yikes. I don't know if that movie about her is out yet but it's going to be a similar suckfest.