Rolling Stone 100 Albums of the Decade

Started by murph468, Dec 09, 2009, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMightyCaporal

QuoteYet another silly statement.
Who would have been in your Top 10? At least offer that before throwing out a bunch of negative stereotypes and generalities.

You first  :)
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

My Monkey Friend

"That's a silly comment. American Idiot was definitely in my top 5 of the decade. A classic album.
There's a lot of great music on that list. "

no way that's silly. green day has sounded the same since 1994. they play about 3 chords, and have about 2 different beats. and the singer sounds like cat sex. People lost interest around nimrod, and only seemed to jump back on when they got preachy. one of the worst groups i have ever heard.

if dylan or springsteen release an album of farts, RS will put them in the top 5. Irrelevant list.

bicyclejoe

Who would have been in your Top 10? At least offer that before throwing out a bunch of negative stereotypes and generalities.

Sure:

Green Day -- American Idiot
Arcade Fire -- Funeral
Radiohead -- Kid A
White Stripes -- Elephant
Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Radiohead -- In Rainbows
TV on the Radio -- Dear Science
My Morning Jacket -- At Dawn
M.I.A. -- Kala
Pearl Jam -- Self-titled

bicyclejoe

Quote"That's a silly comment. American Idiot was definitely in my top 5 of the decade. A classic album.
There's a lot of great music on that list. "

no way that's silly. green day has sounded the same since 1994. they play about 3 chords, and have about 2 different beats. and the singer sounds like cat sex. People lost interest around nimrod, and only seemed to jump back on when they got preachy. one of the worst groups i have ever heard.

if dylan or springsteen release an album of farts, RS will put them in the top 5. Irrelevant list.

"they play about 3 chords, and have about 2 different beats."

So, by that measure, The Clash and The Ramones were among the worst groups too?

"People lost interest around nimrod, and only seemed to jump back on when they got preachy."

I'm assuming that you're someone who doesn't like to be challenged with thoughts and opinions outside your front door. Music and art should reflect the challenges and politics of an epoch. It should be a snapshot of an era, of hope and betrayal, of dissent, of mood, not a generic assembly of dance beats and guitar licks. If only more musicians would have been "preachy" at a time of unforgivable lies and unforgettable excess. I'm assuming courage offends your passion for self, income and status quo.

"one of the worst groups i have ever heard. if dylan or springsteen release an album of farts, RS will put them in the top 5. Irrelevant list."

And with that rhetorical flourish, any glimmer of credibility fades. I don't question your taste. I question your intellect.

capt. scotty

Sure:

Arcade Fire -- Funeral
Radiohead -- Kid A
Radiohead -- In Rainbows
M.I.A. -- Kala
Pearl Jam -- Self-titled

quick question: which magazine do you work for?

....dont lie now
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

QuotePaste had the best list I've seen so far...Paste is hands down the best mainstream music source out there.  

http://www.rollogrady.com/paste-magazine-50-best-albums-of-the-decade/

At least Rolling Stone had an MMJ album though. Paste and several other lists totally snubbed MMJ and Neko Case.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

el_chode

American Idiot is about as inspired as that recent campaign to get a Rage song to be the anti-commercial success on the UK charts.

If you can't see the irony inherent in either situation, you may find them both to be awesome.

And the difference between Green Day's three-chord redundancy and the Ramones and the Clash is found in an old Calvin and Hobbes bit where Calvin remarks at the stupidity of an idea and how anyone could have thought of it, yet his Teacher, Ms. Wormwood, points out that the original author is the one who actually did it, so STFU. Also, the clash are way more nuanced than Green Day musically, and I hate the Clash and think they're a one-album wonder and that one album isn't all that great. The Ramones are awesome, and like Neil Young, they can at least make something beautiful out of a single note or chord.

Finally, the Ramones and the Clash actually had inspired messages to go with it, not the pre-canned fight against mommy and daddy tome that Green Day excels at. A bunch of old men wearing eye liner talking about the current state of society doesn't really make much sense when they're doing it on the stage of the VMAs.
I'm surrounded by assholes

bicyclejoe

Sure:

Arcade Fire -- Funeral
Radiohead -- Kid A
Radiohead -- In Rainbows
M.I.A. -- Kala
Pearl Jam -- Self-titled

quick question: which magazine do you work for?

....dont lie now

The Economist

My Monkey Friend

El Chode, I couldnt have said it better myself.

"I'm assuming that you're someone who doesn't like to be challenged with thoughts and opinions outside your front door. Music and art should reflect the challenges and politics of an epoch. It should be a snapshot of an era, of hope and betrayal, of dissent, of mood, not a generic assembly of dance beats and guitar licks. If only more musicians would have been "preachy" at a time of unforgivable lies and unforgettable excess. I'm assuming courage offends your passion for self, income and status quo."

Your assumption is off base, and wrong. Green Day reflects no change, just jumping on a bandwagon to sell their failed version of music. I cant even start to explain to you how obvious it is that they got preachy just to push the expiration date on their career a bit further. If you cant see that, I question your intellect. I dont mind preachy artists at all, but the fake ones (Green day) drive me fucking crazy. Throw in the fact that their music is absolute piss, and you have one shitty group. cant believe I got this riled up about green day. I guess i just dont like seeing fake shitbirds get any credit.

capt. scotty

Not to get off topic, but I still love rocking Dookie every once in awhile
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

QuoteNot to get off topic, but I still love rocking Dookie every once in awhile

I've owned at least 3 copies of it
I'm surrounded by assholes