Maika'i Mele Ukulele... Eddie Vedder Ukulele Songs!

Started by woodnymph, May 27, 2011, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

NOW STREAMING ON NPR!!!  In all of its sheer awesomeness.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/25/136649054/first-listen-eddie-vedder-ukulele-songs#playlist

As though I didn't already want to go to Hawaii badly enough......   8)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

el_chode

As if I'm already having a hard time coping that I'm not still in Kauai and that plane tickets cost $800
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

I was actually on the island the day that first pic was taken, but stuck in Honolulu.

< creepy   ;D

Not super entranced with this record, unfortunately  :embarassed: though it's nice to finally get studio versions of some of these songs - "You're True" especially.   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

Without You is the one that really hit me live, would make a great PJ ballad.  Glad it made the cut.  Looking forward to the live DVD more that the album, but overall, I reckon it will be a nice keepsake of Eddie's Uke work over the last few years..
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

mahg33ta

two listens completely through and it didn't grab me at all.   Just, nothing really stood out as memorable, lyrically or musically, and it all blurred together.   Hmmm...  hope the EV setlists next month aren't full of these songs, or I hope that they're more captivating live.   I loved Into the Wild FWIW.

lucylew

I really wanted to like this.  Sadly, that did not happen.

woodnymph

Dang sorry to hear no one enjoys this.... tough crowd!  :P  I dig the simplicity and the way it makes me feel like getting to Hawaii is a possibility someday.... I'm not yet in the special league of luckies who've already been there!!  Oh and I'm always a sucker for bare acoustic-type songs... makes me feel like I'm just chillin out with EV (or anyone else playing bare-bones acoustic-type tunes), and hell, if we were hangin out and he broke out a ukelele I would have no qualms with whatever he decided to play!!  8)

I dig his "simple realm" he's created with the album, and for me it's been nothing short of a small dream come true... Ever since I heard "Goodbye" from the Brokedown Melody soundtrack, I've secretly yearned for a uke album

el_chode

Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dang sorry to hear no one enjoys this.... tough crowd!  :P  I dig the simplicity and the way it makes me feel like getting to Hawaii is a possibility someday.... I'm not yet in the special league of luckies who've already been there!!  Oh and I'm always a sucker for bare acoustic-type songs... makes me feel like I'm just chillin out with EV (or anyone else playing bare-bones acoustic-type tunes), and hell, if we were hangin out and he broke out a ukelele I would have no qualms with whatever he decided to play!!  8)

I dig his "simple realm" he's created with the album, and for me it's been nothing short of a small dream come true... Ever since I heard "Goodbye" from the Brokedown Melody soundtrack, I've secretly yearned for a uke album

There's a trick to affording hawaii. I've figured it out, but my wife isn't sold: you just pack like 3 things:

shorts
shirt
tent

and then you buy your tickets. try and argue against sleeping under the stars in paradise.

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on May 28, 2011, 08:31 PM

There's a trick to affording hawaii. I've figured it out, but my wife isn't sold: you just pack like 3 things:

shorts
shirt
tent

and then you buy your tickets. try and argue against sleeping under the stars in paradise.

Hahahah oh man that's my list right there!! (+maybe one book....maybe)  I'd be pretty set with that!  ...I guess my trouble in affording it SOLELY exists on my intending to live there but needing to pay off accrued debt first (which isn't an awful amount, but a slight hindrance!) Otherwise, I'm game for just living and working on an organic farm and making a few rupees at the market!  8)  *long sighhh*

el_chode

Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 08:52 PM

shorts
shirt
tent

Hahahah oh man that's my list right there!! (+maybe one book....maybe)  I'd be pretty set with that!  ...I guess my trouble in affording it SOLELY exists on my intending to live there but needing to pay off accrued debt first (which isn't an awful amount, but a slight hindrance!) Otherwise, I'm game for just living and working on an organic farm and making a few rupees at the market!  8)  *long sighhh*

I've set a goal:

This beach is at the end of an 11 mile hike. This is my goal. There are 2 offshoots, 5 miles one way (approx) that end in 800' waterfalls. The trail is inhabited by wild hippies (srsly). They help you on your quest. I do not see another reason why (a) I need a hotel (b) to go anywhere else in Hawaii. Should you desire, you can join the wild hippies. They apparently survive on wild papayas and guavas.

It's also where they shot Pirates 4 (in theaters now).

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on May 28, 2011, 09:40 PM

shorts
shirt
tent

I've set a goal:

This beach is at the end of an 11 mile hike. This is my goal. There are 2 offshoots, 5 miles one way (approx) that end in 800' waterfalls. The trail is inhabited by wild hippies (srsly). They help you on your quest. I do not see another reason why (a) I need a hotel (b) to go anywhere else in Hawaii. Should you desire, you can join the wild hippies. They apparently survive on wild papayas and guavas.

Ok..... dude. So I'd have to confirm with you the name of mentioned place, but it sounds one hell of a lot like the place my roommate hiked a couple years ago. He said the trail definitely became a real bitch at one or two points (one being an extremely narrow stretch that recedes dramatically to your left and right, which is actually making my palms sweaty right now picturing it....) He ate the guava and will not stfu about them, like at least once a month mentions them.  :-X

So. Ok. All of the farm research I've read about lists a couple other main crops as being macadamia nuts and avocado. (I'm pretty sure I could subsist on those 2 foods alone for many days, if need be)...and coffee (but I don't drink coffee....)  But yeah, so there are definitely good things growing in abundance.  As for hippies..... I mean there's a chance I might fit in, maybe...

hotels and tourist crapola Treehouses, small-scale farms, nature, waterfalls, ocean

Yes'm....................

woodnymph

Ah, I just finally now saw the link you made in that post, and I do believe that is the place my roommate hiked, but I'd have to ask him again......

Ram Dass is out there in Hawaii too, and he has these spectacular meditation retreats that appeal to me greatly.......

2012 might just have to bring me out there  :D

Oh and while I'm at it, I might substitute the book I added to the packing list for a ukelele.  They do just make me entirely too happy

But then again those wild hippies probably have all the ukes one could hope for  8)

el_chode

Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 10:00 PM

shorts
shirt
tent

I've set a goal:

Ok..... dude. So I'd have to confirm with you the name of mentioned place, but it sounds one hell of a lot like the place my roommate hiked a couple years ago. He said the trail definitely became a real bitch at one or two points (one being an extremely narrow stretch that recedes dramatically to your left and right, which is actually making my palms sweaty right now picturing it....) He ate the guava and will not stfu about them, like at least once a month mentions them.  :-X

So. Ok. All of the farm research I've read about lists a couple other main crops as being macadamia nuts and avocado. (I'm pretty sure I could subsist on those 2 foods alone for many days, if need be)...and coffee (but I don't drink coffee....)  But yeah, so there are definitely good things growing in abundance.  As for hippies..... I mean there's a chance I might fit in, maybe...

hotels and tourist crapola Treehouses, small-scale farms, nature, waterfalls, ocean

I haven't stopped talking either, which is why I almost didn't post it because I didn't know if I was redundant. I don't like Papaya or Guava, and I couldn't stop eating them there. Since going there, I haven't stopped dreaming about going back. It's an obsession. Even the smell of the dirt there is unique and hasn't left my nostrils.

But yes, the way you describe it, that's the trail. The narrow point with the sharp drop offs is the known nightmare, the part that makes my wife second guess my grand plan to spend a week hiking it slowly.

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on May 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 10:00 PM

shorts
shirt
tent

I've set a goal:

I haven't stopped talking either, which is why I almost didn't post it because I didn't know if I was redundant. I don't like Papaya or Guava, and I couldn't stop eating them there. Since going there, I haven't stopped dreaming about going back. It's an obsession. Even the smell of the dirt there is unique and hasn't left my nostrils.

But yes, the way you describe it, that's the trail. The narrow point with the sharp drop offs is the known nightmare, the part that makes my wife second guess my grand plan to spend a week hiking it slowly.

Hahahah you know... I don't mind hearing about the heavenly papayas and guavas, I just get a real severe twitch in my face since I haven't, you know, been there yet and all  :(

:P Yeah that one part of the trail psyched me out a bit too when he mentioned it, but like for you and your wife it would probably be super do-able, cause you'd have eachother. It sounds like a kind of thing where you should either be by yourself or with your choicest company, who won't unnecessarily feed your fears or cause any emotional hardship. And definitely taking your time is majorly key. That's one issue I would've had if I'd gone with my roommate, he's not what you'd call a "time taker" hahah

But yeah man, you should definitely make your way back to the island at some point, in some form or another! I know once I get out there I'll be quick to stay and slow to leeeeeave

e_wind

I want to do this:  http://www.malaekahana.net/default.asp?file=Models

I would love to go to a paradise type island and spend a week with 3 other people maximum in a beach hut. these places have outdoor showers and mini fridges, and other than that you're on your own. i think i read that they now have wifi and cellphone charging places haha. it would be a blast, and it'd be like 20$ per person per night. I'd be paying for the plane ticket.

oh yeah and, im patiently waiting for my EV CD + Book + DVD. I haven't listened to it yet.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

weeniebeenie

Haven't listened yet. Gonna wait till the album comes in the mail. I can't wait to hear You're True. I love, love, love that song.
How loud can silence get?

el_chode

1) Listened to hte Vedder Album the other night. It's not bad, but it's not anything I'd ever listen to as more than background music. Quite relaxing though

2) As far as a Hawaii watch, my wife looked up packages this morning - Airfare + Hotel in Kauai for $800 in september. It's $800 more than I have to spend, but all things considered (we found a place that does $2 breakfast), that's not expensive at all.

woodnymph

Firstly, Hooooooooly guava, e wind!!!  How awesome are those huts!!!!!!!  What a sweet deal!!!!  That just added to my already boundless excitement about Hawaii....  Curious as to free beach camping if you hike far enough...  I'm sure they're not just outright letting people camp a mile off of a road, but I wonder if there's maybe even permit beach camping if you hike certain trails.  Unless the permit costs over $40... then it would just make sense to rent one of the huts.......... but like chode said, "shirt, shorts, tent" being the essentials (and I'd be down for a good bivvy even, instead!)  8)

Whoa we might have to have an MMJ Hawaii takeover of some sort in the not-so-distant future......

Speaking of which..... Maggie!! I meant to write back what were you doing on the island following Mr. Vedder!!!   :o  Hahah that's REALLY bizzare though, how that went down!!!  How long were you there for and what all did you get into while there???

And chode, it looks like you've got a September plan in the works my friend  :thumbsup:  So you guys grab the hotel and meet e wind, EddieV, Maggie, and myself on the beach with the huts for a fire when you can!!  :P  But for real it would be awesome if you make it back out there this year!!!

You guys are strong to hold off on listening to the new album, I clicked "Listen" so fast when I saw the link to it... I think my computer actually selected it for me... But I was all about the Circuital Virginity and only listened when my package came in the mail  :)

Well, can't wait to hear what you guys who haven't heard it yet think, for better or for worse!  :)

ALady

Quote from: woodnymph on May 30, 2011, 08:32 PM
Speaking of which..... Maggie!! I meant to write back what were you doing on the island following Mr. Vedder!!!   :o  Hahah that's REALLY bizzare though, how that went down!!!  How long were you there for and what all did you get into while there???

It was my birthday and they were playing a show...I took an unexpected and inadvisable splurgey plunge.  About the time I landed I learned they were playing a secret tiny show on the North Shore...but all my friends were already there and I was stuck in Honolulu with no car   :(  Though there are worse places to be stuck, for sure...

I was there less than a week, only on Oahu, and I didn't get to do nearly as much as I wanted to...but it was lovely.  Would love to go back someday - count me in for hiking and camping this time!   :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

e_wind

listening to it for the first time since it came out. i actually think its really awesome/beautiful.  :thumbsup:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...