The worst MMJ song?

Started by Jahmazed, Jun 06, 2011, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

It's not as conspiracy -like as you think. One of the bigger cases in Copyright law results from Tom Scholz's vice-like grip on creative control
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Also, Boston's S/T is one of the greatest albums to ever be an album.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: el_chode on Jun 06, 2011, 11:37 PM
Also, Boston's S/T is one of the greatest albums to ever be an album.

Me too. I recall the way that album sounded was quite remarkable for the time with most of the instruments recorded in Tom Scholz's basement studio (standard practice for faceless corporate rock bands of the 70's).

However, in order to try to salvage this terrible display of going off thread topic, I will say the worst song off that album is Let Me Take You Home Tonight.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

MarkW

Quote from: halesdd on Jun 06, 2011, 07:39 PM
Quote from: MarkW on Jun 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Run Thru.  Too long.  Not enough falsetto.

Please tell me your joking!!!

I was.  Need to find the sarcasm font.

There are certainly songs I like less than others.  If I'm not in the mood, I just skip 'em rather than getting all dramatic about it.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

FiddleCastro

Touch Me Pt 1 and Two Halves is really all I could even think of as being about average. Maybe "Outta My System", but that song kicked butt live at Mountain Jam
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Jahmazed

Cool to see lots of interesting replies.. not surprised to see two Halves & Sec walkin appear frequently they'd probably make a top 5 least favs list if I made one. I know a lot of people like Librarian but it just doesn't do it for me.  I'm not crazy about I'm Amazed either -  used it my handle b/c I was just baked & had to think of one  ;D - but must say the version of I'm Amazed from the Louisville webcast rocked hard and sounded about as good as I've heard it. 

I have to say I'm shocked to see Honest Man a couple times that song is so freakin powerful live.

Someone else said it best, there are no "worst" MMJ songs, only least favs.   

fleabag

Quote from: rincon on Jun 06, 2011, 11:02 PM
Quote from: Brother Beck on Jun 06, 2011, 05:44 PM
Two Halves is the only MMJ song that I actually and actively dislike.  Gets my vote hands down.
I really like Two Halves. I have a friend that I have been watching perform live over 25 years. He has lot's of originals, and is into power pop, and old stuff like Orbison, Holly, and Valens. Every time I hear 2 halves it sounds like Frank.  He runs the record dept. at Salzers, the big indy music store in Ventura.
Sec Walkin sounds like a Ronnie Milsap song/ My wife is a big fan. Thank You Too is the Spinners, or some other 60's motown male group.

Sec Walkin has reminded me of some song that I can't place from 70s AM radio -- maybe it is Ronnie Milsap so you cleared that up for me.

There isn't a bad song until EU -- I thought Into the Woods sucked, but it's grown on me so I'll have to go with Two Halves.

I have always liked Honest Man, and I'm amazed has a great pop sensibility, sounds great live and my wife likes it. 

If I were a band member, this thread would be my least favorite to read.  I hate criticism.  :(

But if I were a band member, I'd be a rock star, so it would all be cool  :D
...words only got in the way

halesdd

Quote from: MarkW on Jun 07, 2011, 02:24 AM

There are certainly songs I like less than others.  If I'm not in the mood, I just skip 'em rather than getting all dramatic about it.

I figured as much. They really do need a sarcasm icon. But what does aggregate me a little about run thru is that mmj isn't playing the full thing live any more. What's up with that?
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

rincon

Quote from: halesdd on Jun 07, 2011, 07:28 AM
Quote from: MarkW on Jun 07, 2011, 02:24 AM

I figured as much. They really do need a sarcasm icon. But what does aggregate me a little about run thru is that mmj isn't playing the full thing live any more. What's up with that?
Not only is it not the full song, it was only the middle. Last tour they did the middle and the third part. Now there is not an "Oh Shit Run" to be heard.

SplatSplatSplat

Easy - The Librarian.  What an awful, awful song.  I can't believe they put that one on the record over some other song...ANY other song.  Jesus.
You need it.  That's for sure.

Im The Dude

I'm Amazed and two halves not my favorites.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

halesdd

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Jun 07, 2011, 10:57 AM

Easy - The Librarian.  What an awful, awful song.  I can't believe they put that one on the record over some other song...ANY other song.  Jesus.

Really??  What is there not to like about this song??  I love it.  One of my favorites by far.

I also don't see why people hate on I'm Amazed so much.

Honest Man

Two Halves and Touch Me Pt 1 in a close tie.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

diddy57

Highly Suspicious. Never really works for me, and I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to these guys. Maybe I need to hear it live, and I see they played it this week. Do like the guitar solo, though.

gardenparty

Lots of EU chat here. Seems evey song is pretty polarizing.

I love Touch Me 1 and Thank You Too.  Like, really love
I'm Amazed is such a fun live song

however:  Librarian, Sec Walkin, Look At You, Two Halves and Aluminum Park all do nothing for me.   

sundari

Into the Woods, but not because of the lyrics; it's the circus/carnival-y sounding oomph pa pa music.  Those lyrics with different music would be fabulous!
Don't think about all those things you fear.
Just be glad to be here.

sweatboard

I agree about the recording of They Ran.  Great Song, almost sounds like someone put the wrong take on the record by accident.  The bass specificaly sounds fucked up.  I always think something is wrong with my stero when it comes on and then I'm like....nope, it just sounds fucked up.   :'(    Oh well, It's my ONLY complaint about that record the rest of the production is flat out amazing.   The vocal layering on that song is so sweet.
There's Still Time.........

YungYave

Quote from: TheSoundsofSilence on Jun 06, 2011, 05:43 PM
#1 Sec Walking. #2 Two Halves #3 What a Wonderful Man #4 Outta My System #5 First Light. does my list give away my fondness of pre-Z mmj? I'll be honest not only are these my least favs they are no good. I see Librarian and into the woods was getting alot of hits.....i like them both.

I like What a Wonderful Man but my bottom 5 would include the other 4 listed here. Sec Walkin and Two Halves seem to be getting a lot of votes, understandably so. I love the new album but could do without First Light and Outta My System (even though that's 20% of the songs!). I'm surprised to see Touch Me Pt. 1, Honest Man, and Librarian getting mentioned numerous times, I love all those songs. I'm Amazed isn't too bad either, especially for a mainstream-geared tune. True about the quality of They Ran on TTF but still an awesome song.
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

halesdd

Quote from: YungYave on Jun 07, 2011, 04:38 PM
Quote from: TheSoundsofSilence on Jun 06, 2011, 05:43 PM
#1 Sec Walking. #2 Two Halves #3 What a Wonderful Man #4 Outta My System #5 First Light. does my list give away my fondness of pre-Z mmj? I'll be honest not only are these my least favs they are no good. I see Librarian and into the woods was getting alot of hits.....i like them both.

I like What a Wonderful Man but my bottom 5 would include the other 4 listed here. Sec Walkin and Two Halves seem to be getting a lot of votes, understandably so. I love the new album but could do without First Light and Outta My System (even though that's 20% of the songs!). I'm surprised to see Touch Me Pt. 1, Honest Man, and Librarian getting mentioned numerous times, I love all those songs. I'm Amazed isn't too bad either, especially for a mainstream-geared tune. True about the quality of They Ran on TTF but still an awesome song.

I was not a big fan of Outta My System at first but it has definitely grown on me.  It's very catchy and just kind of a fun little jam.  First Light, although I think it translates very well live but lyrcally, there just isn't much there.  So I can see how that one get's some votes. I think They Ran has the potential to be a good song but as sweatboard pointed out, the sound quality is quite poor in places.