The worst MMJ song?

Started by Jahmazed, Jun 06, 2011, 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halesdd

Quote from: e_wind on Jun 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
1. I'm Amazed is the most boring song they have.
2. I agree 100% with Sticky that they're setlists need to change. They have a very extensive catalog and it sucks driving all around the country and shit to see maybe one different song a show. Obviously bands are going to play their fan favorites at every show, but if they play OBH, Golden, TWTHS, Gideon, Mageetah, Wordless, Off The Record, Smokin From Shootin, TMIGTS P2, Anytime, Dondante, I'm Amazed, and Highly every show, they still have 10 (give or take) songs they can switch up. I know they're going to play 5 or so new songs every show this tour, but why do they need to fill the other 5 slots with the same 5 songs every show. Especially last year when they didn't have Circuital to play all the time. They closed out their first tour with 3 covers every night in 2010, which is just ridiculous. It's awesome that they threw Steam Engine in the mix this tour, but now that I've seen it 3 times in 2011, it's getting less exciting. It's not exciting at all to go into a show knowing what you're going to see...
1. I'm Amazed is more boring then two halves? I not even saying I'm Amazed is one of my favorites but that's a pretty big stretch to say it is the absolute bore of all their catalog. There are several songs that rank up there with being even more boring then Im Amazed.
2. I agree they need to mix up their set. Never said I didn't agree. Just if were truly boring, then why would we all pay good money to watch a boring show? I certainly hope they do change it up a bit this tour. But end the end, we will all still go regardless.  You have to remember they are now really just getting started with this tour so as time goes on and they feel more comfortable with their mix, they'll change things up.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: halesdd on Jun 07, 2011, 10:15 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Jun 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
1. I'm Amazed is the most boring song they have.
2. I agree 100% with Sticky that they're setlists need to change. They have a very extensive catalog and it sucks driving all around the country and shit to see maybe one different song a show. Obviously bands are going to play their fan favorites at every show, but if they play OBH, Golden, TWTHS, Gideon, Mageetah, Wordless, Off The Record, Smokin From Shootin, TMIGTS P2, Anytime, Dondante, I'm Amazed, and Highly every show, they still have 10 (give or take) songs they can switch up. I know they're going to play 5 or so new songs every show this tour, but why do they need to fill the other 5 slots with the same 5 songs every show. Especially last year when they didn't have Circuital to play all the time. They closed out their first tour with 3 covers every night in 2010, which is just ridiculous. It's awesome that they threw Steam Engine in the mix this tour, but now that I've seen it 3 times in 2011, it's getting less exciting. It's not exciting at all to go into a show knowing what you're going to see...
1. I'm Amazed is more boring then two halves? I not even saying I'm Amazed is one of my favorites but that's a pretty big stretch to say it is the absolute bore of all their catalog. There are several songs that rank up there with being even more boring then Im Amazed.
2. I agree they need to mix up their set. Never said I didn't agree. Just if were truly boring, then why would we all pay good money to watch a boring show? I certainly hope they do change it up a bit this tour. But end the end, we will all still go regardless.  You have to remember they are now really just getting started with this tour so as time goes on and they feel more comfortable with their mix, they'll change things up.

I would rather see Two Halves because both Jim and Tom play bass and that is the only song where they do that.  to me that is unique and what I'm all about.  plus, I think two halves has always gotten way too much heat.  regardless, if I got Two Halves I'd kinda be psyched because I haven't seen it 6 or 7 times like Golden or something.  which is another song that the band has made me tired of.  It's not a bad song at all, I don't listen to it that much but no matter what, for the most part, every my morning jacket show I listen to will have that song on there. 

With that said, there really isn't a song worse than I'm amazed.  maybe as bad, but no worse and if so, not by much. 

My hope is that they don't begin to rely on these overly elaborate stage setups that have to be set and sync'd up every time they play before hand.   I guess music fans get spoiled when they're into bands like phish or the dead and the lights aren't preset.  kuroda, the phish lighting dude uses the lights as his canvas.  that's what MMJ needs so they can TRULY get in the zone.  an improvised lighting dude.  you'll most obviously notice the presets on a song like touch me pt. 2 at the beginning and the end before good intentions.  the low lights that pulsate, etc. 

Even tho they have embraced all this awesome technology they have to make it work for them rather than them work around it.  I've heard of Jim playing a different acoustic song at the beginning of the encore than planned or them cutting songs but rarely does it seem like they just choose a song on the fly.  and it all has to do with presets.  which is a major hindrance to the zone.   I'm sure the shows will rock but they've been extremely reserved since the MOF break.  that's just an opinion tho.  the Phone Went West from Mountain Jam was one of the best things I've ever heard from them to date.  they've got the power, they just have to truly unleash it rather than building a fanbase with simple minded setlists.  you rarely see an album closer open a show, which they totally could.  Touch Me Pt. 2 would blow the roof off.   Dondante would blow the roof off.  it's artistic and creative risk, they don't do it enough.

AlwxanderD10

Dude you guys are complete forgetting something. KEYBOARD MADNESS i mean c'mon now...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on Jun 07, 2011, 11:19 PM
Dude you guys are complete forgetting something. KEYBOARD MADNESS i mean c'mon now...

sorry had to lay down my scent.

AlwxanderD10

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 07, 2011, 11:21 PM

;)... yeah i just made a whole new post just for a winky face, yup.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: AlwxanderD10 on Jun 07, 2011, 11:23 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 07, 2011, 11:21 PM

;)... yeah i just made a whole new post just for a winky face, yup.

post that shit.

el_chode

As I've said a few times here, I liked I'm Amazed when it came out, much less when every time I went to a Kohls, Supermarket, Elevator, Doctor's Office, FM Radio Station, and Abortion Clinic all I'd hear was I'm Amazed. It took the edge off real quick
I'm surrounded by assholes

Brother Beck

I'm Amazed is my jam - I've always loved when Jim sings "I'm amazed at the lack of evolution
I'm amazed at the lack of faith".  Love that song.  I like it better than Sec' Walkin, Two Halves and Librarian combined. 

capt. scotty

Quote from: The DARK on Jun 07, 2011, 06:20 PM
I suppose Somebody Cares About The Maestro tends to get skipped a lot when it comes up on shuffle...  ;)

In all seriousness though, How Do You Know doesn't quite do anything for me.

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 06, 2011, 11:01 PM
Somebody Cares About The Maestro

High Five!  8)

Ive never been a big fan of How Do You Know either...On the other hand, I love How Could I Know
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 08, 2011, 12:40 AM
Quote from: The DARK on Jun 07, 2011, 06:20 PM
I suppose Somebody Cares About The Maestro tends to get skipped a lot when it comes up on shuffle...  ;)

In all seriousness though, How Do You Know doesn't quite do anything for me.

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 06, 2011, 11:01 PM
Somebody Cares About The Maestro

High Five!  8)

Ive never been a big fan of How Do You Know either...On the other hand, I love How Could I Know
Agree with everything above.

I don't have a least favorite song but TMIGS I, I'm Amazed, Librarian, Two Halves, Thank You Too and Highly Suspicious all make me cringe and I have to fake it live. ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

youreveningcoat

Mine would have to be "Look at you"
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

CodyT3212

Thank You Too. During the chorus I picture a vast field of Christians with their arms raised in the air, praising their Lord for all of his kindness and knowledge. I mean, I have nothing against religion, nor do I think this song is directly about God, but it just sounds corny and...worship-y?

halesdd

My hope is that they don't begin to rely on these overly elaborate stage setups that have to be set and sync'd up every time they play before hand.   I guess music fans get spoiled when they're into bands like phish or the dead and the lights aren't preset.  kuroda, the phish lighting dude uses the lights as his canvas.  that's what MMJ needs so they can TRULY get in the zone.  an improvised lighting dude.  you'll most obviously notice the presets on a song like touch me pt. 2 at the beginning and the end before good intentions.  the low lights that pulsate, etc. 

[/quote]

That is really a good point about the light show setup.  I hope that doesnt handcuff them to a set number of songs they can pretty much play to utilize that setup.  I know how you feel about Im Amazed and Golden being played so much.  Even though I like the songs alot doesnt mean I want it to be played every show.  As many times as I have seen Pearl Jam, there wasn't a time they didnt play Evenflow.  I love the song but after seeing it so many times, it loses it luster.

BH

Such an inspirational feel good thread.   ::)

A Killer beat and this: (Come on!)

put on my robot face. hide my emotions way far away from me.
oh! you really saw my naked heart.
you really brought out the "naked" part.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

I figured since BH posted finally here, I could too. I will probably be shunned for this, but I've never really enjoyed Old Sept. Blues. The "never were a drawback, always were an asset" lyric is awkward, and some of the harmony makes my head tilt (which could be the point).

Also, I really don't want some of you people wandering the earth not knowing how to spell "fellate." Go ahead, call me a Spelling Nazi -- or blow me.  ;)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

I was trying to defend Thank You Too by the way.  :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 08, 2011, 01:42 PM
Also, I really don't want some of you people wandering the earth not knowing how to spell "fellate." Go ahead, call me a Spelling Nazi -- or blow me.  ;)

score
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

Quote from: BH on Jun 08, 2011, 02:25 PM

i really like thank you too.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

halesdd

Quote from: BH on Jun 08, 2011, 02:25 PM

And thank you for doing so.  Thank You Too is a song me and the wife have come to love.  Sort of our unofficial song.  I can see however how some people can't really stand it.