More articles, interviews, and reviews

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Record Store Day Announces 2012 Black Friday Releases

QuoteMy Morning Jacket is set to release the It Makes No Difference live recording on 10", which was recorded at the Newport Folk Festival Tribute to Levon Helm. The recording features Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes.

:smiley:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

"I want to tour for this record and I'm gonna bring a band 'cause I want to play the record as it is recorded, with all the instrumentation but then, yeah, I'm sure I'll probably do a couple of songs each night acoustic and stuff like that but I want this show to be more of a more danceable affair."
(via this article)

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :thumbsup:

touchingmept2

Anyone peep the February issue of GQ (you know, the one with, ahem, Beyonce on the cover)? There's a short article featuring Jim, along with yet another striking photo of him and flowing hair!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

SaraBananaBear

Stereogum!  :smiley:

The amount of f-words in this article makes me think that perhaps I should have left the uck in my blog url after all... :thumbsup:

Also:

Quote"Yeah, I'm putting a band together to do it. We'll probably do a few things when it comes out in February, but I really want it to be out at least a couple of weeks before we tour it. Because I want people to have a chance to digest it. When you tour immediately, it's kind of fun for people watching who don't know it, but it's kind of weird too. Especially for something like this where I've never put out a solo record before, because it's not like I have five solo records and people will know the older stuff. When we do the tour, I'm sure we'll do some of the My Morning Jacket songs, but I want people to have had a couple of weeks to know this record and want to see it live."

GO4IT

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 24, 2013, 04:30 PM
Stereogum!  :smiley:

The amount of f-words in this article makes me think that perhaps I should have left the uck in my blog url after all... :thu
[/quote]

Ha ha maybe so!

I just finished reading this myself and was a bit surprised at all the f-bombs.
He must have picked up this bad habit in New York City, same place I did.

justbcuzido

Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

justbcuzido

"Uhh, I want it to sound like it's grey and it's purple and it's up in the clouds," and they're like, "It's a B diminished seventh chord, with an augmented fifth." You know, all that kind of technical talk."

Jim James is really sounding like John Lennon here. I remember seeing an interview with George Martin comparing/contrasting John & Paul and he said something along the lines of, "when we recorded For the Benefit of Mr Kite, John just said he wanted to feel like he was in a carnival, he wanted to taste the sawdust of the carnival grounds".. Where as Paul would get completely technical.

A funny thought to me.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

ericm

As a huge Bruce fan, I loved this last section! :cool:  :thumbsup:

You're a big Neil Young fan. Are you into his current work?
The last Neil Young record I really enjoyed was Prairie Wind.  I thought that was a fucking beautiful record. I like everything that Neil does. Neil's a big hero of mine, but I really came to this realization: I saw Springsteen in Louisville, and I've never been giant Springsteen fan.  I only liked things here or there and I wasn't like a giant fan. I saw him in Louisville and he was fucking phenomenal! It was like seeing the sun shine for the first time or something. It was like he was so positive and it felt like every motherfucker in that place was his best friend. You know he touched everybody. He was crowd surfing. He was fucking running around and shit. When you see Neil and Bob, they're, like, all pissed and you feel like they don't give a fuck if you're there or not. I'm so sick of that, and seeing Bruce I was like, "Fucking-a, man!  Thank you! I paid a lot of money to be at this fucking show and you care I'm here." It was just, like, such a revelation.

"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

Quote from: ericm on Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
As a huge Bruce fan, I loved this last section! :cool: :thumbsup:

The last Neil Young record I really enjoyed was Prairie Wind.  I thought that was a fucking beautiful record. I like everything that Neil does. Neil's a big hero of mine, but I really came to this realization: I saw Springsteen in Louisville, and I've never been giant Springsteen fan.  I only liked things here or there and I wasn't like a giant fan. I saw him in Louisville and he was fucking phenomenal! It was like seeing the sun shine for the first time or something. It was like he was so positive and it felt like every motherfucker in that place was his best friend. You know he touched everybody. He was crowd surfing. He was fucking running around and shit. When you see Neil and Bob, they're, like, all pissed and you feel like they don't give a fuck if you're there or not. I'm so sick of that, and seeing Bruce I was like, "Fucking-a, man!  Thank you! I paid a lot of money to be at this fucking show and you care I'm here." It was just, like, such a revelation.

I wonder if that's part of why during the PC and Boston shows, Jim interacted with the crowd even more than he has in the past. Penny  :wink:  knows what I mean!

APR

That was a great read.  I thought the interviewer asked some great questions.  Jim wasn't specific about the dark period.  It's great to know what his hopes are for MMJ for the future.

Regarding two of the above posts, I cut and pasted the Bruce paragraph two my two friends that love The Boss.  Very cool that Jim's mentality is more like Bruce and he appreciates the people at his concerts.

I love how Jim describes things and has a feel for what he wants.  And Carl is more technical and maybe "properly schooled."  But regarding the Beatles,  I don't know how technical Paul could be since he can't read or write music.  It was interesting when he discussed how that pertained to writing his classical music in more recent years.

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
As a huge Bruce fan, I loved this last section! :cool: :thumbsup:

I wonder if that's part of why during the PC and Boston shows, Jim interacted with the crowd even more than he has in the past. Penny  :wink:  knows what I mean!

I noticed that too, but thought maybe he was just stoked to be playing PC. Once I read the RS interview, it dawned on me that quite possibly there was more to his interactions with the crowd than just being happy to be there.

I know MMJ tix aren't as expensive as Bruce tix, but I definitely had the same feeling at PC that JJ had at Bruce; that with all the money we all spent, JJ and the band definitely cared that we were there. It was noticeable to me then, and now I think maybe I know why. :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

LeanneP

That could account for all the "Muchos" and fingering going on  :drum:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

bartel

love my neil young but I DO AGREE... neil doesn't look interested on stage which is part of why i love the man... bruce is a whole other kettle of fish.. a different type show... the new MMJ q&a gets me excited.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

great review in new Rolling Stone-- 3 and 1/2 stars
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

subinai

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 02, 2013, 09:28 AM

the illustration makes him look crosseyed

bluesky

Quote from: subinai on Feb 02, 2013, 10:27 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 02, 2013, 09:28 AM

the illustration makes him look crosseyed