Main Menu

The Avett Brothers

Started by Eweezy, Jun 25, 2011, 07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
Wasn't too impressed after first listen.

With the band in general or just the new album?

mbuha

I have been a fan of these guys since my freshman year of college (like 8 years ago).

But I was sickened when I saw the Gap commercial.  Some people say, good for them, let them cash in.  I think there are more subtle ways to sell out nowadays, they didn't have to do a Gap commercial.  Columbia Records, Gap commercials, and over production has pretty much ruined this band for me.

How can you write a song like 'head full of doubt' and then have a fake smile in a tv commercial.. I don't get it.

The new album is garbage. Literally. There are a few good songs, but most of the good ones have parts that ruin it.  Definitely not the place to go for a first time Avett listener.

mahg33ta

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

I am unimpressed with the album after 3 run throughs.  That's just me though- the only songs I liked were ones I'd heard live for a while.

joey_rogo

Quote from: mbuha on Sep 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
I have been a fan of these guys since my freshman year of college (like 8 years ago).

But I was sickened when I saw the Gap commercial.  Some people say, good for them, let them cash in.  I think there are more subtle ways to sell out nowadays, they didn't have to do a Gap commercial.  Columbia Records, Gap commercials, and over production has pretty much ruined this band for me.

How can you write a song like 'head full of doubt' and then have a fake smile in a tv commercial.. I don't get it.

The new album is garbage. Literally. There are a few good songs, but most of the good ones have parts that ruin it.  Definitely not the place to go for a first time Avett listener.

I agree with the overproduction comment. Only listened to the new album once (while i was running around the apt doing other things) but was struck by a few songs that had lots of electric guitar and driving drum beats and such. I won't say I hated it, but it definitely wasn't the type of music that attracted me to them originally.

I haven't seen the gap commercial, but was quite surprised when I saw their picture in a gap ad on the side of one of those glass bus stop thingies (I'm not a city boy) in philly before the mmj show.

We'll see how it goes at the GPN fest this weekend.

itrainmonkeys

I could care less what commercials they appear in. As long as the music on album speaks to me and they can entertain me at concerts like they have been I'll be happy.

Now, if they started singing Gap jingles at shows and went on big tours like "The Gap Tour" and started to let companies affect their songwriting then I'd be pretty turned off.

I can understand the overproduced complaints. I only discovered them after I and Love and You came out and found it interesting that so many former fans were upset with the production and how clean it was. I thought it was great (and I love their older stuff as much  if not more) and they had a fantastic interview in I think Rolling Stone where they talk about why it was so important to them. They learned a new way to do things. Instead of just repeating the process they had done numerous times before they got to work with a producer who really opened their eyes to different ways of doing things.

That said, I love the live show better than the albums and I look forward to more releases. Their lyrics and harmonies really speak to me.

mahg33ta

For whatever it's worth (as a data point), I discovered them when I&L&U came out too.   I love that album but was bored by this one.   I'll for sure give it plenty of chances to grow on me. 

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
For whatever it's worth (as a data point), I discovered them when I&L&U came out too.   I love that album but was bored by this one.   I'll for sure give it plenty of chances to grow on me.

I've only had a brief listen through of the new one so I can't offer any opinions on that yet. Possible I don't find it as interesting/good as their previous stuff either. Love the one or two new songs that I've seen live though.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

Just the album! I'm a fan, seen them live twice.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 12, 2012, 04:04 PM

I discovered them with that one too. I don't get why older fans don't like it. I think it's the right way to do an album with mainstream appeal, and the song writing is arguably stronger than previous albums. Not much stood out to me on The Carpenter, except the slick production. I'll definitely give it more listens though.

parkervb

pretty big fan and have caught them plenty over the last several years.  The new album is okay, just okay. There are a few standouts (Winter in My Heart, PGF Michigan) and some new styles for the band (Paul Newman vs the Demons), but that lead single (Live and Die) is awful, so cheesy and lyrically it sounds like something from a coffee shop open mic. 

i will still have the album (wifey LOVES them) and will see them again, I'm sure several times but I'm not overly impressed with this album.
Don't you ever turn it off

ManNamedTruth

They should've worked with a different producer. T-Bone Burnett would've been a nice fit, would've gone for a more rootsy feel.

mbuha

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
I could care less what commercials they appear in. As long as the music on album speaks to me and they can entertain me at concerts like they have been I'll be happy.

Now, if they started singing Gap jingles at shows and went on big tours like "The Gap Tour" and started to let companies affect their songwriting then I'd be pretty turned off.

I guess Bill Hicks has influenced me too much on this subject. Its just how I feel.

Bill Hicks - Do A Commercial And You Are OFF The Artistic Roll Call Forever !!!

itrainmonkeys

I'm a huge Bill Hicks fan and love all his work but I don't really see the point in disliking a band for "selling out". If I had to do that then I'd have to stop listening to The Black Keys, Wilco, Cold War Kids, Deer Tick, and a lot of other bands and artists that I really love listening to.

Like I said....if it actually had some sort of affect on the songwriting or live shows I'd be annoyed. But I really don't care if they are featured in a magazine ad or a television commercial. It doesn't bother me. When I put the record on or when I am in the audience at their show none of that other stuff matters. 

mbuha

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
I'm a huge Bill Hicks fan and love all his work but I don't really see the point in disliking a band for "selling out". If I had to do that then I'd have to stop listening to The Black Keys, Wilco, Cold War Kids, Deer Tick, and a lot of other bands and artists that I really love listening to.

Like I said....if it actually had some sort of affect on the songwriting or live shows I'd be annoyed. But I really don't care if they are featured in a magazine ad or a television commercial. It doesn't bother me. When I put the record on or when I am in the audience at their show none of that other stuff matters.

I didn't say I disliked them.  I said I disliked this album.  Their reputation takes a little hit with me, but I don't dislike them. Disappointed would be a better word.

I think you spun this differently than I intended, probably bc I didn't explain it well at all.  How I really feel about it would take a huge explanation, and that would be annoying to read. 

A small part of the explanation; there is a difference between a band like Black Keys lending a song for a commercial and what the Avetts didl Black Keys haven't really written songs like the Avetts.  A lot of the meaning in some of the older Avetts songs comes from a perspective on the world that makes them hypocrites for this in my opinion... its a little different than the typical 'artist sellout' argument. 

Really respecting Ryan Bingham right now.  He got his label going, doing it all himself.  He's doing things his way, and it shows in the music.  Things really changed for Avetts when they signed with Columbia. Doing things like commercials puts you in this PC ring where you can't say to much... I do think the music changes because of it. Okay now I'm going deeper into this.. I'll stop.

The Bama Bear

When I first listened to the new album yesterday, I thought it was alright. Nothing really struck me about it. I listened to it for a 2nd time earlier on today, and I enjoyed it much more already. It gets two thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: mbuha on Sep 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 06:09 PM

I didn't say I disliked them.  I said I disliked this album.  Their reputation takes a little hit with me, but I don't dislike them. Disappointed would be a better word.

I think you spun this differently than I intended, probably bc I didn't explain it well at all.  How I really feel about it would take a huge explanation, and that would be annoying to read. 

Sorry if it came off like I was saying that you disliked them. I was more just speaking generally on the topic of disliking bands for their commercials/"sell out" work. I knew you were just pointing out something about artists and commercials, using the Hick's quote to easily (and humorously) state a feeling on the topic.

I was more trying to speak for myself. I get annoyed when a friend of mine will say "The new Black Keys album isn't as good...too commercial and mainstream....they sold out" and when I ask them to clarify what they mean and why they think that they can't back it up. Sometimes it's a knee-jerk reaction to "What? They're in a commercial? What happened to them?" and I always have to roll my eyes.

QuoteA small part of the explanation; there is a difference between a band like Black Keys lending a song for a commercial and what the Avetts didl Black Keys haven't really written songs like the Avetts.  A lot of the meaning in some of the older Avetts songs comes from a perspective on the world that makes them hypocrites for this in my opinion... its a little different than the typical 'artist sellout' argument. 

Really respecting Ryan Bingham right now.  He got his label going, doing it all himself.  He's doing things his way, and it shows in the music.  Things really changed for Avetts when they signed with Columbia. Doing things like commercials puts you in this PC ring where you can't say to much... I do think the music changes because of it. Okay now I'm going deeper into this.. I'll stop.

I don't know....I think you're giving this one series of ads too much credit. It's just a fall advertising campaign. Are they in a lot of other commercials that I'm not aware of?

They took some photos, some videos, played a song. To me that's not the same as say, being the permanent Gap spokesmen and appearing in a ton of different commercials. There are a few other artists involved in this as well.

I'm not saying you're wrong (please don't take this as an argument  :cool:) just giving my take on things as well. I personally don't think their music/songs will change because of this one ad campaign. If I start seeing them pop up in a bunch of different commercials or are signed to some kind of advertising deal that lasts longer than a couple of months I'd definitely start re-considering my opinion on it.

At the moment, I feel like they are real people who have worked hard to get where they are and are being given opportunities that they never used to get. I don't begrudge them for this (even if I am a bit disappointed...I can agree with you on that). I'd prefer they weren't in these ads but I certainly don't have a problem with them doing this. That said...we'll see what the future holds. I'm hoping they see the coments from people and their next release is either another live album or one where they amp up the energy/grunginess of some songs.

Eweezy

For me it's always been the way they sing together and their songwriting.  I get goosebumps every time I hear "A Father's First Spring" on the new album.  I really try not to compare or judge each of their albums against each other.  I look at each one as a different chapter in time in their lives as well as mine.  I love the progression of them as a 5 piece band and it comes out even better live.  I know they cut a lot of songs for this album and there was talk of a possible Gleam III, that would be really cool.
Yikes!

iLikeBeer

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM

I agree ITM.  Is Everest a bunch of sell-outs because they are in a Carona commercial?  I can't subscribe to the philosophy of pinning the term 'sell-out' on a band for doing a commercial.  As ITM said, as long as it doesn't affect them musically, I'm ok with it...

lucylew

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
They should've worked with a different producer. T-Bone Burnett would've been a nice fit, would've gone for a more rootsy feel.

That would have been a perfect pairing.

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: lucylew on Sep 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 12, 2012, 05:34 PM

That would have been a perfect pairing.

I agree, a change in pace would be good. Hopefully for the next album.