Phrases that annoy you...

Started by Jon T., Jul 01, 2011, 09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

"Sharpen your pencil".  I work in sales and I hear this one A LOT when quoting customers.

Penny Lane

when people begin their sentences with ..."To be honest with you..."

and a big thing at work is "can you loop back with..." or "can you loop around with sales and get back to me?"
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote from: Taterbug on Jul 01, 2011, 10:32 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 01, 2011, 10:29 AM
baby batter

Also included is, 
ball butter &man jam

And any phrase ending in " Hizzy "

ha ha...both of these responses are funny to me for some reason

Crispy

"Can I ask you a question?"

>:( >:( >:(
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

the_wizzard

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 01, 2011, 11:13 AM

This one irks me too!  So you haven't been honest with me...until now?

jones

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 01, 2011, 11:20 AM
"Can I ask you a question?"

>:( >:( >:(
You just did.  Game over, right?

mjk73

Quote from: jones on Jul 01, 2011, 11:11 AM
"Sharpen your pencil".  I work in sales and I hear this one A LOT when quoting customers.
Yes. I hear this in meetings and I want to sharpen my pencil so I can stab them with it.

Not a specific word or phrase, but it annoys me to absolute no end when Executives try to talk hip and cool and the lingo they are using is way out of their station in life. Like not even in the same galaxy. Do I really need to hear a middle aged, wealthy, WHITE executive black it up in meetings and presentations?

tdb810

I skimmed through quickly, and didn't see this one, which is currently most irritating to me:

"it is what it is."
.....Back at the Model Home

Penny Lane

Quote from: the_wizzard on Jul 01, 2011, 11:23 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 01, 2011, 11:13 AM

This one irks me too!  So you haven't been honest with me...until now?

i always stop people and say 'no, please keep lying to me, it's worked so far'...

BH

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 10:08 AM
I heard or read (can't recall) someone talk about how much it drove them crazy when the word literally was used incorrectly.  He said something like "everytime I hear the word literallly used incorrectly, I literally want to jab a pencil through my head".   ;D

Parks and Recreation - Chris Traeger Literally
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I really need to stop saying, "I'm just saying."   I'm trying so hard, but I can't.  I annoy the hell out of myself.

Another phrase that annoys me, "Sir, no more drinks for you."   Why are people constantly saying that all the time?  So annoying.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

I know you are but what am I?

The weight room is that way.

I know that's right
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

This really annoyed me off at last year's Winter Olympics in Whistler: "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi".

More like: "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Fuck Right Off".

Oh, and "Did you watch SNL last night"?

kydiddle

Quote from: BH on Jul 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 10:08 AM
I heard or read (can't recall) someone talk about how much it drove them crazy when the word literally was used incorrectly.  He said something like "everytime I hear the word literallly used incorrectly, I literally want to jab a pencil through my head".   ;D

Parks and Recreation - Chris Traeger Literally

Thank you.
Cow temperature.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

you guys really do not like talking to people.   may we all take notes from your perfection.  "like I hate when people use words to talk, it's like so stupidz".

darkglow

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jul 01, 2011, 02:02 PM
you guys really do not like talking to people.   may we all take notes from your perfection.  "like I hate when people use words to talk, it's like so stupidz".

sometimes silence is golden.. especially when all that someone has to spew out of their excuse for a mouth is some not so well thought out and misused 2 dollar words..

i like to talk to people who speak when they've got something to say and shut up when they don't

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 01, 2011, 02:14 PM

sometimes silence is golden.. especially when all that someone has to spew out of their excuse for a mouth is some not so well thought out and misused 2 dollar words..

i like to talk to people who speak when they've got something to say and shut up when they don't

some words cost 2 dollars to use?  fuck... I hate when people are judgmental.   it's unnecessary hatred.

Jon T.

That doesn't make any sense.  You're saying there isn't a phrase or word that you don't like?  You find the words, "you betcha" coming out of Sarah Palin's mouth pleasant?   ;D
This isn't one person saying they hate all of the above phrases, it's a bunch of people saying a couple things that they don't care for.

Ruckus

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 01, 2011, 02:14 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ROFLZ

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 01, 2011, 02:34 PM

That doesn't make any sense.  You're saying there isn't a phrase or word that you don't like?  You find the words, "you betcha" coming out of Sarah Palin's mouth pleasant?   ;D
This isn't one person saying they hate all of the above phrases, it's a bunch of people saying a couple things that they don't care for.

well sure it does.  when palin says something dumb as fuck it annoys me but it's because I hate her not because of the specific words.  with palin it's different too because she's more celebrity than actual human. 

we all say stupid shit, frequently.  "man like he's the gayest fag ever" hurts my feelings but that's only because it's my dad talking about me to my mom.   if it was anybody else I wouldn't care.