Main Menu

Maggot Brain

Started by rincon, Jul 13, 2011, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

Just heard it for the first time. (Funkadelic). Holy Crap, that is 40 years old, and the Chili Peppers would be proud to have made it today. If you have never heard it, go out of your way. Sly Stone X10!

el_chode

Don't compare it to RHCP or Sly Stone! It stands on its own as awesome. Can You Get To That?
I'm surrounded by assholes

YouAre_GivenToFly

Pearl Jam - Little Wing/Maggot Brain

Pearl Jam - Little Wing Maggot Brain - 070995 - Milwaukee WI

One of my favorite tunes on my mp3 player in high school... I was a HUGE McCready fan.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jul 13, 2011, 09:36 PM

One of my favorite tunes on my mp3 player in high school... I was a HUGE McCready fan.

Sweet LORD

I never knew they covered either of these, but it makes total sense......  thanks so much for sharing, Maggot Brain was a highschool favorite that used to spin me out, and this version tears shit to pieces!!!!  :o :o :o
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 13, 2011, 10:18 PM

Sweet LORD

I never knew they covered either of these, but it makes total sense......  thanks so much for sharing, Maggot Brain was a highschool favorite that used to spin me out, and this version tears shit to pieces!!!!  :o :o :o

Isn't it amazing? I havent listened to this in 4 or 5 years, but already 3 times tonight  ;D
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Jul 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 13, 2011, 10:18 PM

Sweet LORD

Isn't it amazing? I havent listened to this in 4 or 5 years, but already 3 times tonight  ;D

;D ;D I pulled a double-play myself!  And I know I'll be throwing it on again before the night's over  8)  Way glad you posted it!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Guy Whitey Corngood

No offense..... but if 'Maggot Brain' makes your brain go to the Red Hot Chili Pepper for whatever reason, then I think you might be listening to it wrong.

wolof7

Quote from: Guy Whitey Corngood on Jul 14, 2011, 01:54 AM
No offense..... but if 'Maggot Brain' makes your brain go to the Red Hot Chili Pepper for whatever reason, then I think you might be listening to it wrong.

C'mon give the guy a break, Geroge Clinton produced 1 (or 2?) Chili Peppers albums...the chili peppers always have remarked on Parliament's influence on them, so it's not a stretch that they are spoken in the same sentence....and if you can't give them credit for Blood Sugar Sex Magik then that's just not fair. If you are referring to their output following that I understand but they were pretty funky earlier on.

Maggot Brain is a monumental album tho right guys??? :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

rincon

Don't be Douch bags. Smarmy dicks  that criticize people who compare music to each other piss me off. I have never heard any Parliment or Funkadelic, white kids in the 70's stayed away for the most part. So now that I have access to hear old stuff without buying it, I am able to listen to all kinds of stuff I missed out on growing up.
As for the Chili Peppers, I had no idea Clinton produced any of their stuff. They were clearly influenced by them because Funk/Hard rock hybrids are few and far between. Sly was a funk rock band with AM hits and made it to the RNR HOF. P/Funk was never on any radio station I listened to.  Mentioning those 3 bands in the same post is quite fucking logical, you pretentious A-holes.

I have always refrained from being rude here, but this just pissed me off. Delete this if you must CC.

rincon

Quote from: el_chode on Jul 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
Don't compare it to RHCP or Sly Stone! It stands on its own as awesome. Can You Get To That?
What in God's name makes you think you can tell me what to think?

el_chode

Gods name is my name, therefore I am God

el_chode

Also, relax. You read way too much into my post.

rincon

Quote from: el_chode on Jul 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Also, relax. You read way too much into my post.
El Chode states, "Don't compare it to RHCP or Sly Stone! It stands on its own as awesome. Can You Get To That?"
I think my assessment is accurate.
smarmy    
   A certain attitude often accompanied by a squinty look and a superior smile that makes you instantly hate a person. Similar to snobby. (urban dictionary)

lucylew

Maggot Brain is definitely one of the best albums in my collection.   Glad you liked it Rincon!

rincon

Quote from: lucylew on Jul 15, 2011, 12:30 AM
Maggot Brain is definitely one of the best albums in my collection.   Glad you liked it Rincon!
Thank you. The internet allows an old fart like me to access all the bands I heard about, but never bought or heard on the radio. There are hundreds of old bands and thousands of new bands, that are worth checking out. If they had this shit in the 70's and 80's I would have never left the house. Good thing I guess.

Guy Whitey Corngood

rincon - Upon re-reading my post, I'll be the first to admit that it came off much more dickish than I had intended..... I was just razzing you, man.  And while I still feel like your comparison did warrant at least a little good-natured ribbing, I certainly didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if I did.  I also don't even really particularly dislike the Chili Peppers, but like many of my all-time favorite albums, I can be a little defensive about/protective of 'Maggot Brain'.

Either way, my bad.

rincon

Quote from: Guy Whitey Corngood on Jul 15, 2011, 03:09 AM
rincon - Upon re-reading my post, I'll be the first to admit that it came off much more dickish than I had intended..... I was just razzing you, man.  And while I still feel like your comparison did warrant at least a little good-natured ribbing, I certainly didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if I did.  I also don't even really particularly dislike the Chili Peppers, but like many of my all-time favorite albums, I can be a little defensive about/protective of 'Maggot Brain'.

Either way, my bad.
Cool. That was the first time I ever heard it, and I just turned 50. All I thought was it was the epitome of Funk/Hard Rock, and there are very few other bands that dabble in that shit. RHCP are clearly influenced by them, so it seemed natural to comment that they would be envious of it.

Jaimoe

The fan base of most genres back in the '60s and '70s were more colour blind than  today, however, Funkadelic's first three or four albums certainly appealed more to a rock-oriented white audience. As a parallel, blues has a far bigger white following. 

A big reason why funksters that dabbled in rock such as James Brown, Sly, Funkadelic, Suggie Otis, Parliament etc... don't get played on mainstream radio is that classic rock stations always play it safe, often because they are owned by large centralized (and often conservative) broadcasting networks. Why aren't other bands played on classic rock radio such as Television, Patti Smith, Replacements, Galaxie 500, Sonic Youth and so on? I discovered Maggot Brain (the album) through Guitar Player Magazine around 15 years ago and have never looked back.

I don't think it's too stupid to related early Funkadelic to RHCP, or even *gasp* Lenny Kravitz. I got into the blues white ass-backwards and I might have skipped checking out the first three Funkadelic albums, which are all equally must-owns, if it weren't for Hendrix expanding my mind in the early to mid '80s. God love Hendrix.

On a related aside, Death, the late '60s to mid '70s black Motor City pre-punk/funk power trio (three Detroit brothers), never found an audience, but are hot now.

Death - Politicians In My Eyes (1974/2009) [HQ]

Death - Rock'n'Roll Victim

lucylew

Jaimoe, am not familiar with Death (the band) but otherwise - very well said.  Nicely done.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

maggot brain by funkadelic is one of the most popular records to come out of detroit.   What's goin' on was recorded here.  Stevie Wonder.  comparing it to the RHCP, even early RHCP's is insulting.   end of rant.