I have a new asshole.

Started by foomex, Jul 22, 2011, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Jul 22, 2011, 10:20 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
I havent been looking at setlists for a reason, but with a simple yes or no, have they started playing the entire Lay Low again yet frequently?
Are you confusing Lay Low with Run Thru? Or are you just wasted again?  ;)

Not wasted (yet), and not confusing them..last year they were playing just the 2nd half of both songs pretty consistently. I think the 2nd half Run Thru started being played earlier than 2nd half/Lay Low Jam though

OK, well, I'm half wasted and don't remember Lay Low getting short shrift. So maybe it's just me. And the bourbon  ::)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ChronicHunger

Quote from: foomex on Jul 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
Lay Low... what the hell is that?!

I listened to it for the first time, ever, this week during my full "Z" first listen. It started and I thought, man thats cool, then the jam started and I was tripping all over thinking, I don't want this to end :o, and it didn't, longest beautiful jam and it only got better and better, it totally shred me a new one.

I can't stop playing it, seriously, I can't, I wake up, go to work with LayLow on the car, airjamming with the wheel and everything, get to work, listen to it a couple of times, do the same in the car for lunch break, and on the way back from lunch break.

Then I get back to work, play it a couple of times more and finally listen to it on my home. It's just incredible, and I'm getting good shifting between 1st and 2nd guitar and drums on my airjams.

W O W.

Thats exactly how i broke myself into the Jacket. I got Z in 06 and that was really the first song that i thought "Fuck what is this beast im hearing right now" The Jam made me a fan. I owe it alot.

woodnymph

I havent been looking at setlists for a reason, but with a simple yes or no, have they started playing the entire Lay Low again yet frequently?

Not wasted (yet), and not confusing them..last year they were playing just the 2nd half of both songs pretty consistently. I think the 2nd half Run Thru started being played earlier than 2nd half/Lay Low Jam though

Oh I do remember hearing the end of Lay Low once or twice last year, one way or another!  Not very promising details there I know, but a memory never-the-less!..... Well what happened was, wherever or however I heard it, it left me horribly brain-farted out of what song it came from.  It was terrible.  I had to virtually rewind the wailing guitar in my brain to find the source (and that is not always easy to do, when you keep hearing it playing forward in your head at the same time)... torture.  But once I came to and realized it was Lay Low, I think I played the song 2 times through, in a small expression of victory over my musically muddled mind  8)  What a killer tune
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 22, 2011, 11:17 PM

Oh I do remember hearing the end of Lay Low once or twice last year, one way or another!  Not very promising details there I know, but a memory never-the-less!..... Well what happened was, wherever or however I heard it, it left me horribly brain-farted out of what song it came from.  It was terrible.  I had to virtually rewind the wailing guitar in my brain to find the source (and that is not always easy to do, when you keep hearing it playing forward in your head at the same time)... torture.  But once I came to and realized it was Lay Low, I think I played the song 2 times through, in a small expression of victory over my musically muddled mind  8)  What a killer tune

Oh woody, I think you are writing the way I'm feeling after a bunch of beers chased with a Manhattan. Time to review Lay Lows from the past year.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

woodnymph

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 22, 2011, 11:17 PM

Oh woody, I think you are writing the way I'm feeling after a bunch of beers chased with a Manhattan. Time to review Lay Lows from the past year.

Hahah nice. What can I say, my lack of mind works in mysterious ways! Or doesn't work.... in mysterious ways....or.....    Let the fetus rock!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

OK scottie, I found an example in Chicago, 8-17-2010. Lay Low gets run into right after Touch Me Pt 2, after a crazy Good Intentions mix. That's the only one I have, but surely several other instances exist, and I apologize for calling you drunk, as I am.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Jul 22, 2011, 11:06 PM

OK, well, I'm half wasted and don't remember Lay Low getting short shrift. So maybe it's just me. And the bourbon  ::)
Its just you!  Don't blame the bourbon. 

Yeah, Lay Low and Run Thru were both turned into highlight reels in 2010.  Looks like they've brought Lay Low back 8 times in 2011, though still used the "end of Run Thru" at 15 shows this year, never once playing it in full.

All of 2010, both Lay Low and Run Thru were abbreviated, just the last 1/3 or so of the tune.  It was great, the way they worked 'em into the set, but I want to hear 'em whole.

They didn't even play Lay Low or the whole Run Thru at the Unstaged performance in L'ville!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

By god, I'll blame the bourbon if I want to! It couldn't possibly be due to my own inattention.

Anywho, here's to full-on Law Lows and Run Thrus next time we hear them, eh?  :beer:

capt. scotty

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 23, 2011, 12:06 AM

Yeah, Lay Low and Run Thru were both turned into highlight reels in 2010.  Looks like they've brought Lay Low back 8 times in 2011, though still used the "end of Run Thru" at 15 shows this year, never once playing it in full.

All of 2010, both Lay Low and Run Thru were abbreviated, just the last 1/3 or so of the tune.  It was great, the way they worked 'em into the set, but I want to hear 'em whole.

They didn't even play Lay Low or the whole Run Thru at the Unstaged performance in L'ville!

So youre saying theres a chance I see a full on Lay Low this tour, Yac?!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 23, 2011, 12:56 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 23, 2011, 12:06 AM

So youre saying theres a chance I see a full on Lay Low this tour, Yac?!
Ah, yes.  The original question.  A "simple yes or no," eh?  How about a "maybe"?   

Based on the data, yup.  Of course, I've seen MMJ thrice already this year and two more to go (so far) and no full Lay Low yet.  Let see, 8 times out of 22 performances thus far means a 36% chance.  Godspeed, Scotty. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Schmokenvontoken

On August 18th, 2010 @ Charter One in Chicago they added the Lay Low solo onto the still freshly composed Smokin-Run Thru-Touch Me Medley. 

On June 16th, 2011 @ the Riverside in Milwaukee, some friends and I waited outside early for grabs at GA.  Killing time, my friend tweeted Carl about playing Lay Low in full-> as we are waiting in Soundcheck, they tested the drum track for like 5 seconds, and we got super jacked.  elbows on the stage, 12 songs in-> placed neatly after First Light, our faces melted clean off our faces as Jim and Carly traded lengthy licks.  Everyone was full on raging and the rhythm section almost brought down the house entirely.  After the song, Patrick had to tip-toe barefoot off the stage along with the rest of the crew, as Carl and Jim performed an equally heart-stopping, soul soothing bring-back of Old Sept Blues.. into Slow Slow Tune... into Steam Engine- gooooood gaawwwd... the greatness never ended... until it did, and we promptly scrapped our expressions off the floor and henceforth, properly blessed every soul we have come into contact since with the love and energy that was gifted to us on this oh so special of occasions :)
OH THIS FEELING IS a-WONDERFUL!...! don't-cha EVER turn it AAWW-AAH-OFF!
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

e_wind

I've seen all of lay low 2 or 3 times this year out of 5 shows. No halfers at all this tour (lay low that is, run thru is still a halfer)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

aeroplume

Nicholas Yames

Quote from: lasvegas on Jul 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
congrats on the new turd cutter.

imo 'lay low' was in it's prime during 2006.

one of the best:
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2006-12-01.Electric_Factory_WXPN_FM_SBD

Holy shit. Just checked out that download. Haven't listened to it yet, but maybe the best setlist i've ever seen, the order and pick of songs, simply amazing. And radio stream not audience. this is one of my favorites of all time and i haven't even spun it yet
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

jrod00

Quote from: Nicholas Yames on Jul 29, 2011, 02:00 AM

one of the best:

Holy shit. Just checked out that download. Haven't listened to it yet, but maybe the best setlist i've ever seen, the order and pick of songs, simply amazing. And radio stream not audience. this is one of my favorites of all time and i haven't even spun it yet

It was a good 'un indeed.  'Twas my first MMJ show and I was impregnated by the sheer awesomeness.  Pay special attention to the "whoop" scream at the end of the falsetto jam during It Beats 4 U.  It translates into, "Oh it's on b words."

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: jrod00 on Jul 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
Quote from: Nicholas Yames on Jul 29, 2011, 02:00 AM

one of the best:

It was a good 'un indeed.  'Twas my first MMJ show and I was impregnated by the sheer awesomeness.  Pay special attention to the "whoop" scream at the end of the falsetto jam during It Beats 4 U.  It translates into, "Oh it's on b words."

Twas also my first MMJ headlining show (saw them open for PJ twice earlier that year, plus a Jim solo show that summer.

Absolutely ass-stompingly amazing show.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

youreveningcoat

Quote from: darkglow on Jul 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
Quote from: foomex on Jul 22, 2011, 01:33 PM

one of the best:
Love that version of LAY LORD lol
I can't get enough of this song. If they don't play it I'm going to kill myself. And if they do I'll probably die with excitement on the first drum pedal sound.

listening to this show recording and G.D. this sounds awesome.. that PWW that followed = the shit

Yeah forget Lay Low (Did I just say that am I crazy!?) PWW on that recording is just saweeeeeeet like bear meat!
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes