red hot chilli peppers

Started by ironmike, Aug 22, 2011, 05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 05, 2011, 10:33 AM
Note to Self:  do not post in the Chili Peppers thread again  :-X

I (kind of) here ya. I enjoyed FS, BSSS, Cali, and BTW a lot. Honestly, By The Way is probably my favorite. I'm young, so it was the first one to come out that I could pick up and get obsessed with upon release. Stadium Arcadium was bleh for me, and the new one seems to be the same. I agree that they've gotten boring. The song structures of the new album and the last album are insanely similar. "funky (or whatever)" verses with a more ballad-y chorus. Its like they're playing the same song over and over with different lyrics.

But still... BSSM, Cali, and BTW are great albums.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

woody--haven't listened to them since i was in high school, but i loved your story about the lyrics on the table..."throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack" is a great lyric no matter what...

oh and hottest abs of any band? marks for that..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jaimoe

At least in their later career, Anthony fails most of the time with choruses. They are ballady even when the riffs and grooves are harder funk rock. He's actually really adept at verses, but he often takes the easy way out when it comes to the bridge/chorus, probably in quest for another hit. John's absence could be the death nail. The guy is a burnt-out genius.

woodnymph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Dec 05, 2011, 10:47 AM

woody--haven't listened to them since i was in high school, but i loved your story about the lyrics on the table..."throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack" is a great lyric no matter what...

Thank you, Penny!!!   :-*  You get my whole point (abs and all!!)  ;)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

EasyRyder

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 05, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hey Woody- im going to see them in Memphis in February and I'm psyched! Anyone who may have read Scar Tissue can attest to Anthony's unique approach to art and music (and life for that matter!). What may seem readily apparent on the surface with RHCP is always  much deeper in my mind after reading his autobio.

thx for your story too- one of my favorite lyrics as well  :thumbsup:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

woodnymph

Quote from: EasyRyder on Dec 05, 2011, 11:23 AM

Hey Woody- im going to see them in Memphis in February and I'm psyched! Anyone who may have read Scar Tissue can attest to Anthony's unique approach to art and music (and life for that matter!). What may seem readily apparent on the surface with RHCP is always  much deeper in my mind after reading his autobio.

Thanks for your input, Easy!  I'm super tempted to catch them, they're playing THREE SHOWS in NC soon!  It would be so appropriate, because the last 2 times they've put out new material, I've lived in NC  :P  I read Scar Tissue too, and it definitely shed a whole new light on Anthony and the boys (and the SONGS!)  I love their camaraderie and how they complement eachother in so many ways.......

One of my favorite vids

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground (1989)

Beat Poet

Saw them in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, they were excellent (though it was spoilt by pricks in the crowd). I've been a fan since Californication, the first album they released after I got into music. Half of the latest album is good, while the rest is a bit meh. Their energy levels are remarkable though with three of the band having a combined age of nearly 150!
Need live drum tracks? Visit [url="http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk"]http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk[/url]

EasyRyder

Quote from: Beat Poet on Dec 06, 2011, 04:18 PM
Saw them in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, they were excellent (though it was spoilt by pricks in the crowd). I've been a fan since Californication, the first album they released after I got into music. Half of the latest album is good, while the rest is a bit meh. Their energy levels are remarkable though with three of the band having a combined age of nearly 150!

the new album seems to have potential for some serious live funk. Did they bring it? Or did they play any pre-Frusciante tunes?

Fully

Quote from: EasyRyder on Dec 05, 2011, 11:23 AM

It's possible I'm going to see them in Memphis that weekend too. I've got a friend who originally wanted to go to Atlanta that weekend to see a band called Railroad Earth (I have no idea who they are, but I'm up for anything) But she also really loves RHCP. She's still trying to make up her mind. I think she'd like to do both, but I don't think I can drive four hours to Memphis and then to Atlanta and then back to Middle Tennessee in one weekend. Maybe if it was a band I really adore. I haven't really been into this band since I was in college back in the late eighties.

However, Woody, your story is pretty cool. It reminds me of when I was last on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My husband and I stopped at an overlook and there was graffiti all over the bench. I found "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" and I really enjoyed it. I love reading graffiti. Particularly in the girl's restroom at school. The turf wars between the East Side Hoes (sic) and the West Side Bitches gets pretty heated and grammatically embarrassing!

*I had to respell graffiti several times before I got it correct. Who am I to be enjoying others' grammar errors? :embarassed:

EasyRyder

Sweet, Fully! Let me know if y'all decide to go. I have god-awful seats, but they're seats nonetheless.

This band has been on my to-see list for too long. I'm pretty psyched (mostly about feeling Flea's bass  ).

Fully

Quote from: EasyRyder on Dec 06, 2011, 06:10 PM
Sweet, Fully! Let me know if y'all decide to go. I have god-awful seats, but they're seats nonetheless.

This band has been on my to-see list for too long. I'm pretty psyched (mostly about feeling Flea's bass  ).
Will do, Sir!

woodnymph

Hahahahah wow!  You got allyourbase'd!!!  That's fantastic!  And on the Blue Ridge Parkway none-the-less!  My current obsession!  Where at on the parkway were you?  What state?

Yeah I dig some clever graffiti when I see it!  That table was otherwise super-lame though, sadly... "Get wasted".... or "I'm drunk"   ::)  So I was pretty much calling it a day on reading anymore, but my friend just started reading that block out loud, and my ears perked up so fast it made my head spin!

Chilis are so great live... I've only seen them once, but it was on Halloween in Cleveland in 07!!  Whoooooaaaa nelly............  I went with 4 other friends, and we all packed into my old trusty Buick.  I had spent at least 30 minutes describing and trying to convince everyone how much Chad looks like Will Ferrell.  3 of them were definite on their "no" decision, and the 4th one went with "well maybe."  When we got there and things got kicked into gear, we could see all their costumes.... and what was Chad's costume, you ask?!?  None other than the Wonderbread costume that Will Ferrell wore in Talladega Nights BOOM in their faces.  So that was classic... and Flea...... flying down from the ceiling.....

They definitely tore shit up!  And we got a Higher Ground which was sweeeeet.... and man if I could remember (or find) the setlist..... it was great though, glad to have caught them then, but definitely considering catching them again when they play in NC next year!!

PS
Oh my dear god, the youtubes I'm finding say it was '06.  Boy do those people have bad memories!  ::)  :P

Red Hot Chili Peppers CLEVELAND 10/31/06

ADD A LITTLE LUST TO THE FUNKY-ASS FLEA BASS

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground - Cleveland

Fully

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 06, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hahahahah wow!  You got allyourbase'd!!!  That's fantastic!  And on the Blue Ridge Parkway none-the-less!  My current obsession!  Where at on the parkway were you?  What state?

Yeah I dig some clever graffiti when I see it!  That table was otherwise super-lame though, sadly... "Get wasted".... or "I'm drunk"   ::)  So I was pretty much calling it a day on reading anymore, but my friend just started reading that block out loud, and my ears perked up so fast it made my head spin!

Chilis are so great live... I've only seen them once, but it was on Halloween in Cleveland in 07!!  Whoooooaaaa nelly............  I went with 4 other friends, and we all packed into my old trusty Buick.  I had spent at least 30 minutes describing and trying to convince everyone how much Chad looks like Will Ferrell.  3 of them were definite on their "no" decision, and the 4th one went with "well maybe."  When we got there and things got kicked into gear, we could see all their costumes.... and what was Chad's costume, you ask?!?  None other than the Wonderbread costume that Will Ferrell wore in Talladega Nights BOOM in their faces.  So that was classic... and Flea...... flying down from the ceiling.....

They definitely tore shit up!  And we got a Higher Ground which was sweeeeet.... and man if I could remember (or find) the setlist..... it was great though, glad to have caught them then, but definitely considering catching them again when they play in NC next year!!

PS
Oh my dear god, the youtubes I'm finding say it was '06.  Boy do those people have bad memories!  ::) :P

Red Hot Chili Peppers CLEVELAND 10/31/06

ADD A LITTLE LUST TO THE FUNKY-ASS FLEA BASS

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground - Cleveland

I must have been in Virginia. The picture of Chad in the Wonderbread costume reminds me that I love a band that wears leggings. So early nineties grunge. They broke just a little before that but they have always been a leggings band! I have no idea why I like that, but there's something about a guy who will wear workout gear to perform in that always amuses me.

woodnymph

e_wind

Just announced a slew of dates, and are now officially rumored for B'Roo. If anyone gets a presale password, please tell me!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...