Main Menu

Forum Album Club

Started by wolof7, Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Oct 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm a newb to The Twilight singers. Only ever heard one song, don't remember which, but it was badass.

Well, hit Blackberry Belle first.  Dulli's still on full drug tilt and recorded this shortly after the death of Ted Demme (film director, good friend of Dulli).  Demme died playing basketball, but BB is about a suicide and the events leading up to it.  Crazy great.  Or hit Afghan Whigs Gentlemen or 1965.  The Whigs and The Singers are quite different in my book as far as sound goes.  Dulli's themes are always the same: sex, drugs, helplessness.

Whigs more straight ahead rock; Singers more instrumentation (keyboards especially) - similar dynamics.  Powder Burns is after drugs (he's still hits the booze though - owns a few bars and a hotel in New Orleans.  Guess they do quite well and allow him to do whatever he wants with his music without beholding) and recorded in part in New Orleans right after Katrina.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Oct 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Oct 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm a newb to The Twilight singers. Only ever heard one song, don't remember which, but it was badass.

Well, hit Blackberry Belle first.  Dulli's still on full drug tilt and recorded this shortly after the death of Ted Demme (film director, good friend of Dulli).  Demme died playing basketball, but BB is about a suicide and the events leading up to it.  Crazy great.  Or hit Afghan Whigs Gentlemen or 1965.  The Whigs and The Singers are quite different in my book as far as sound goes.  Dulli's themes are always the same: sex, drugs, helplessness.

Whigs more straight ahead rock; Singers more instrumentation (keyboards especially) - similar dynamics.  Powder Burns is after drugs (he's still hits the booze though - owns a few bars and a hotel in New Orleans.  Guess they do quite well and allow him to do whatever he wants with his music without beholding) and recorded in part in New Orleans right after Katrina.
what hotel? an actual hotel or more of a B&B in the Quarter? Curious as I didn't know this.

bowl of soup

It's called the Roayl Street Inn and there's a bar attached to it.  I think it's near the Quarter.  He talks about it in interviews every once and a while.  I think he has bars in L.A. and Cincy too.

Jon T.

Quote from: bowl of soup on Oct 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
It's called the Roayl Street Inn and there's a bar attached to it.  I think it's near the Quarter.  He talks about it in interviews every once and a while.  I think he has bars in L.A. and Cincy too.

You think?  Psssht - some fanatic you are.

bowl of soup

Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 27, 2011, 03:25 PM

I have allready crossed the scary stalker line by knowing that bit of trivial info.  Is it wrong s for me to consider staying there for no good reason?

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Oct 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 27, 2011, 03:25 PM

I have allready crossed the scary stalker line by knowing that bit of trivial info.  Is it wrong s for me to consider staying there for no good reason?
Not wrong at all. I will have to look into that next time the Mrs and I hit the Big Easy

bowl of soup

With all due respect to the mrs. We should all book the inn for mardi gras and dislove ourselves into cool music and fun.

mjk73

There would be some serious liver damage done on that trip.

bowl of soup

Hope a crowd turns out for this. Tracy? Been burning this up for days and I've become deluded into thinking that Candy Cane Crawl will be the ending music for Breaking Bad. So perfect. Slow down, lean in...

markcel

Just wanted apologize to those who fully participate for just lurking up to this point.  I have listened to all the choices, I just have been too lazy to comment on each of them.  Thanks to all those who have made selections, I have listened to some bands I never would have otherwise and been reminded of some old favorites that had gotten lost in the shuffle.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bowl of soup on Nov 01, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hope a crowd turns out for this. Tracy? Been burning this up for days and I've become deluded into thinking that Candy Cane Crawl will be the ending music for Breaking Bad. So perfect. Slow down, lean in...

Yep, I have dropped the ball here. No knock on anyone but this resmebles "thinking" too much, something I am really doing to much of these days, so, as I have participated listening, I haven't participated in writing out text. I am being vouyeristic and will be happy to skip my turn to pick.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

wolof7

I apologize for not being as active in the past few weeks, its been crazy lately.

Anyhow, I am wondering if posting a monthly schedule and filling in the blocks as we go would work better for week to week album selections at this point....it's getting a bit harder to fill weeks and it may be easier on myself instead of finding people week to week.

I would ask those who have not picked an album yet to come forth first and fill in what week you'd like and we would go from there...Also if you have an album picked you can post it when you choose a date (or should we keep the element of surprise/ album reveal, a week to week thing?)

...also important reminder: remember if you choose a week you must announce your pick at the album club before your own so people have a week to obtain, listen, absorb the album

For Example:

Nov 9th - ILikeBeer

Nov 16th - (open)

Nov 23rd - (open)

Nov 30th - (open)

Dec 7th - (open)

Dec 14th - (open)

etc.

etc.
any thoughts?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

iLikeBeer

Hey all.  I sort of dropped the ball this week for the album club.   :-\

I had it on my brain that I was picking next week and didn't realize until yesterday that this was my week and tonight's the night.  Sorry for the late heads up for this week's pick.  I was torn between two albums but I decided since I had made mention of picking this album earlier, I'd stick to my guns.  So the album choice of the week is:

In honor of their annoucement of their reuniting and all, not to mention it's one of my all-time favorite albums!  Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30.   :beer:

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

multiple orgasm time!

wolof7

THERE IS NO CURRENT PERSON ASSIGNED TO NEXT WEEK IF ANYONE WANTS TO TAKE IT....I WILL START BACK ON THE SCHEDULE FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK!!!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

iLikeBeer

So, is the forum album club dying a slow death?  Anyone pick an album for tonight? 

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 16, 2011, 12:16 PM
So, is the forum album club dying a slow death?  Anyone pick an album for tonight?
I'll still play...been busy and it conflicts with Top Chef damnit!

I know some people were interested so I'll throw out MARQUEE MOON maybe for next week?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 16, 2011, 01:44 PM

I know some people were interested so I'll throw out MARQUEE MOON maybe for next week?

I can't make it tonight anyway. Sounds like a good plan, let's try to get back on track next week.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 16, 2011, 01:44 PM

One of my favourite albums ever, and bands (Televison) for that matter.