Come on Irene

Started by Ruckus, Aug 25, 2011, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

South shore of Long Island here! Hoping for the best.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

darkglow

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
Im in Southport, NC right now...the beach today was friggin fantastic. The waves were about 5x as intense as they were just a few days ago. Bodysurfing was great, the waves were so wicked they sent me doing underwater cartwheels a few times, and the tide was so high it was like sliding into home plate. The water was about 10 feet from reaching the dunes as far as how far it went up the beach. Almost lost my shorts a couple times, luckily my cat-like reflexes told me to flex my knees and I didnt totally lose them. On that note, also thankful I had no close encounters with the sand on those occasions.  :bath:

you should have seen trish's bobby and i getting PUMMELLED by the first wave he took with us as i was trying to show him how to bodysurf in Gulf Shores before the Hangout Fest weekend

8bobbyb

Quote from: darkglow on Aug 26, 2011, 06:58 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
Im in Southport, NC right now...the beach today was friggin fantastic. The waves were about 5x as intense as they were just a few days ago. Bodysurfing was great, the waves were so wicked they sent me doing underwater cartwheels a few times, and the tide was so high it was like sliding into home plate. The water was about 10 feet from reaching the dunes as far as how far it went up the beach. Almost lost my shorts a couple times, luckily my cat-like reflexes told me to flex my knees and I didnt totally lose them. On that note, also thankful I had no close encounters with the sand on those occasions.  :bath:

you should have seen trish's bobby and i getting PUMMELLED by the first wave he took with us as i was trying to show him how to bodysurf in Gulf Shores before the Hangout Fest weekend

Scotty clearly articulated my experience down at Gulf Shores " doing cartwheels in the surf" and dark glow almost had to break out his medic skills........I hope that everyone stays safe over the weekend.

ericm

Mandatory evacuation here on LBI starting at 8:00 am today. Kinda glad actually, as all the vacationers are on their way off the island, and it should make it a lot easier to get off tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Thankfully the Twp. has issued evac re-entry permits to year-round residents, so at least I can come and go to the mainland for the next day or so, until I plan on bailing for the storm.

It's actually a beautiful day here, and aside from some stronger surf, it's a great beach day!

"Where's Jim going?"

kotchishm

Is it true they are shutting down NYC public transportation?  What will people do?
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Crispy

Quote from: ericm on Aug 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
Mandatory evacuation here on LBI starting at 8:00 am today. Kinda glad actually, as all the vacationers are on their way off the island, and it should make it a lot easier to get off tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Thankfully the Twp. has issued evac re-entry permits to year-round residents, so at least I can come and go to the mainland for the next day or so, until I plan on bailing for the storm.

It's actually a beautiful day here, and aside from some stronger surf, it's a great beach day!

Hey, that's good news at least, that the out-of-towners will be gone soon and that you'll be able to get back in a timely manner. Sunday morning seems a little late to get out of there, no? Good luck, all.

The weather channel is indicating 18 foot waves in South Carolina. Good surfing  :o
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 26, 2011, 11:36 AM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 26, 2011, 10:57 AM

Sunday morning seems a little late to get out of there, no? Good luck, all.

Yeah Crispy it most likely will be. I'm keeping a close eye on it, and I'll probably be out of here sometime tomorrow night unless she slows down a lot.

Crazy though.... you'd never know we're in for some deep sh*t by the beautiful weather we're having today.  ???

I don't know how often Google maps updates, but a while back I put a pin where I live on the map you put up on page 21 of the JFW thread. It might be good for some before and after pics.
"Where's Jim going?"

Ruckus

Best to all of you dealing with this swirling low pressure system.  Anytime you want me watch your beach house Eric.

In other news, while packing his belongings after being told to evacuate, Jordan Jefferson repeatedly kicked his bank card, prescription card, birth certificate and high school diploma under his bed for safekeeping. However, he safely managed to squeeze 49 pairs of brand new sneakers into the trunk of his brand new H3 ::)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteCome on Irene

"Is that code?"
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ericm

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 26, 2011, 01:09 PM
Best to all of you dealing with this swirling low pressure system.  Anytime you want me watch your beach house Eric.

In other news, while packing his belongings after being told to evacuate, Jordan Jefferson repeatedly kicked his bank card, prescription card, birth certificate and high school diploma under his bed for safekeeping. However, he safely managed to squeeze 49 pairs of brand new sneakers into the trunk of his brand new H3 ::)

;D  ;D Heard he was being charged with felony assault.  They must've found something on one of those sneaks. ;) What an asshat! Hope he gets found guilty for not only the assault, but thinking he was above everything. You know ol Les is sweating bullets about now.  Where there's smoke.........

You can check out the house all you want now Rob, but do it soon, cause it might not be here long.   :-\
"Where's Jim going?"

Haldon

So, am I the only one thinking of this is a positive way................MMJ Disaster Relief Concert in NYC after this storm passes through.  If it worked in Bama, it'll work in NYC.

ericm

Quote from: Haldon on Aug 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
So, am I the only one thinking of this is a positive way................MMJ Disaster Relief Concert in NYC after this storm passes through.  If it worked in Bama, it'll work in NYC.

Like the way you're thinking there Haldon! :thumbsup: Not to mention the kick start to the construction industry.

Gotta find a silver lining somewhere. ;)
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

They've closed schools here on Monday, in anticipation of post-storm cleanup, power outages, and flooding, plus the potential need for the schools to be used as shelters.  Everyone stay safe.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ALady

Quote from: bluesky on Aug 25, 2011, 07:00 PMmaggie when are you coming to nyc?

Well, after this storm, for sure...   ;D

Stay safe, everybody!  It's sounding pretty ominous.  Evacuate early if you can!

(and I'll be back in NYC sometime this fall/winter, count on it!)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

subinai

definitely feels weird in nyc right now. i feel like its half and half people who are freaking out and others who are not worried at all/think it will pass.  the mandatory evacuation of people in low lying areas and the subway shutting down is kinda crazy... but smart and safe.

el_chode

Hipstering it now: the storm will be overhyped and overrated.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Penny Lane

Quote from: subinai on Aug 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
definitely feels weird in nyc right now. i feel like its half and half people who are freaking out and others who are not worried at all/think it will pass.  the mandatory evacuation of people in low lying areas and the subway shutting down is kinda crazy... but smart and safe.

yeah it's weird...i'm still down in lower manhattan at work, and i have to go out in the city tonight....i can't tell which zone i'm in but right now where i work is mandatory evac and where i live is voluntary.

chode--agreed....i hope
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 26, 2011, 05:43 PM
Hipstering it now: the storm will be overhyped and overrated.
I bought batteries and water last week for Irene.  You should check out this little bubbling volcano in NW, PA.  No one's heard of it but I might be able to show you a picture of it....maybe
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

I don't doubt there will be flooding, but the big deal this morning is that it'd hit NYC as a cat 2, meaning sustained winds at like 100mph. That happens once every 100 years. I think the latest trajectory has it at a cat 1, while not to minimize the situation, that is much less dire than a cat 2, which is pretty unprecedented.

Here they're acting like we're getting a hurricane in northwest nj, but we'll get a trop storm on par with the nor'easters we get 3x a year. it's the saturated ground that's the problem.

View from my apt:

I'm surrounded by assholes

ericm

I hope you're right chode, but even a cat 1 could spell trouble.

In addition to the flooding, it's quite possible that we'll get heavy rain and sustained winds +/- 80mph for 20 hours, due to the size of this baby and it's slow movement.

I'd be careful in buildings higher up also. The upper winds could still be at cat2 levels. Not sure how many apt. buildings have windows made to withstand those winds for that long. Skyscrapers probably yes, older apartment buildings....not so sure.

"Where's Jim going?"