Forum Album Club #2 - Now Here Is Nowhere by the Secret Machines

Started by Crispy, Sep 07, 2011, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 10:02 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 07, 2011, 10:00 PM
  Is the singer trying to sing like Ian Curtis on Nowhere Again? 

Heard Placebo?  Secret Machines remind me of them.

If he is trying to sound like Ian Curtis, I see that as a good thing.

I will need to check out Placebo!

Try this song after the listeninig party. 

Placebo - Infra-red
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Listening to "Nowhere Again" again and it's pretty spacy.  I like the music on that one quite a bit. 

Remindes me of Breathe by Pink Floyd. 

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 07, 2011, 10:15 PM
I think i could get behind this album more if I wasn't so bothered by the lead singer and the lyrics.  The lead singer makes me feel like I'm shopping at Hot Topic.

I'm on Lights On now, the vocals now sound like one of those late 90's bands like Orgy who wanted to be Joy Divison. On that song I can hear where you were going with the Ian Curtis thing.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjk73

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 07, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 07, 2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe the rain will stop following me
With millions of colors reflected in daylight
Right on the kick drum, turning the sound up

....love that part

Pharoah's Daughter is probably my 2nd favorite track behind Sad and Lonely.

This albums plays and reads at times like a sci-fi epic  :thumbsup:

Absofuckinglutely. Serious head-bobbing time. And then You Are Chains...talk about epic...

I didn't appreciate You Are Chains until tonight....when the drums kick in....yeah that part is beauty.

Great Review Yim!

I think I'll one up you and give this one an 8.2/10 and that's based on not being as familiar as I should....

....This album will keep me warm through this fall/winter when things get weird in New England.
Again, it's good to throw on for adult horizontal activities. That helps keep you warm at night in the fall/winter when things get weird in the Midwest also.

I'm surprised you do not like this one Brian. Surprised is all. I believe it's just the one brother singing.

I never got the Flaming Lips ref. No one sounds like the FLips but the FLips.

Crispy

QuoteAll this time
All this space
All these words

Damn, I fucking LOVE the way this record ends, it's like the definition of "space rock".
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 10:29 PM
QuoteAll this time
All this space
All these words

Damn, I fucking LOVE the way this record ends, it's like the definition of "space rock".

Love this last track, great closer.

sweatboard

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 07, 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 07, 2011, 10:15 PM
I think i could get behind this album more if I wasn't so bothered by the lead singer and the lyrics.  The lead singer makes me feel like I'm shopping at Hot Topic.

I'm on Lights On now, the vocals now sound like one of those late 90's bands like Orgy who wanted to be Joy Divison. On that song I can hear where you were going with the Ian Curtis thing.

Yeah, I actually thought there were two or three singers on this record when I was listeninig to it. 

Thanks for the pick Crispy.  There are things I do dig about this record.  If nothing else, First Wave Down was worth the listen.  It seems like a good way to start off a mix cd someday. It has my favorite lyrically  as well.  The contrast of a wave crashing on a beach and a leave settling on a wall is nice.   

Crispy

Hey, it's great to hear everyone's input, and to get new perspectives, even if you might not dig it. That may change for some, there are plenty of records and bands that didn't appeal to me in the past, but now I'm crazy about.

Speaking of which, time to put on Unknown Pleasures, I think.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hey, it's great to hear everyone's input, and to get new perspectives, even if you might not dig it. That may change for some, there are plenty of records and bands that didn't appeal to me in the past, but now I'm crazy about.

Speaking of which, time to put on Unknown Pleasures, I think.

YES!!!!!  Now we're talking.   :thumbsup:

ManNamedTruth

Just finished this, thanks Crispy for picking a solid album! I agree with Brian a little but I think I liked it more than him. I noticed on spotify they covered Blue Jay Way from the Across The Universe soundtrack, good stuff. It sounds a lot like the original, their singer really knows how to emulate different styles.

sweatboard

Speaking of Joy Divison if you haven't seen this it's a must see.  AMAZING!!!

"Joy Division" documentary Trailer

The movie Control is also a must see..

Ian Curtis epilepsy dance

Crispy

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 07, 2011, 10:39 PM
Just finished this, thanks Crispy for picking a solid album! I agree with Brian a little but I think I liked it more than him. I noticed on spotify they covered Blue Jay Way from the Across The Universe soundtrack, good stuff. It sounds a lot like the original, their singer really knows how to emulate different styles.

Yeah! They also covered Flying, and it is really good. They've done quite a few covers, including these from the Road Leads Where It's Led EP, with they do some different things:

Astral Weeks
Money (That's What I Want)
Girl From the North Country
Immer Wieder (Harmonia)

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Crispy

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 07, 2011, 10:55 PM
First Wave Down is such a badass album opener.

(stop, stop)

Sorry, I have to succumb to my corrective compulsions: First Wave Intact.

And it is SUPER badass.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 11:11 PM

(stop, stop)

And it is SUPER badass.

My bad.

Crispy

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 07, 2011, 11:34 PM

(stop, stop)

And it is SUPER badass.

My bad.

Nope, mine -- it's not like it's my song.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 07, 2011, 11:38 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 07, 2011, 11:34 PM

(stop, stop)

And it is SUPER badass.

My bad.

Nope, mine -- it's not like it's my song.
;D Nah, id have done the same.

capt. scotty

Havent listened today yet, but I hope Crispy gives me a break because:

1) I own this album (1$ for it, but I remembered it from the Debut Album Draft I think, listened to it twice, and I liked it  :thumbsup:)

2) Today (or I guess yesterday) was my birthday

Im a music slacker already behind during week 2. I'll catch up.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Crispy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Sep 08, 2011, 02:25 AM
Havent listened today yet, but I hope Crispy gives me a break because:

1) I own this album (1$ for it, but I remembered it from the Debut Album Draft I think, listened to it twice, and I liked it  :thumbsup: )

2) Today (or I guess yesterday) was my birthday

Im a music slacker already behind during week 2. I'll catch up.

Happy Birthday yesterday, slacker!  ;D :beer:

he.who.forgets

Wow, what can I say?  I was a Secret Machines virgin before giving this fine album a listen but to put it frankly, after a couple spins, I'm quite blown away.  Kind of difficult to pick a clear cut favorite off the album but standouts are First Wave Intact, Nowhere Again, The Road Leads Where its Led & Now Here is Nowhere. I'll give the album as a whole an 8. Thanks for introducing me :beer: