Sad and shocking plane crash (sports related)

Started by Jaimoe, Sep 07, 2011, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

You don't have to be a hockey fan or a fan of sports in general to find today's news out of Russia and the KHL sad and shocking. Several former NHLers were killed as was Detroit Red Wings assistant, Brad McCrimmon. I know who all the NHLers are and this is just an unbelievable tragedy. Only one player survived the crash.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375297

StaggerLee

Its been a bad year for hockey players in general.  Way to many young kids dying this year
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

joey_rogo

god awful offseason for hockey fans. was still getting over the mindfuck of belak's death when i saw this.  :'(

lots of guys i remember watching play here on this side of the pond were killed. just terrible.

not to derail, but where's the regular nhl thread? i need to talk some hockey...

Jaimoe

Quote from: joey_rogo on Sep 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
god awful offseason for hockey fans. was still getting over the mindfuck of belak's death when i saw this.  :'(

lots of guys i remember watching play here on this side of the pond were killed. just terrible.

not to derail, but where's the regular nhl thread? i need to talk some hockey...

This is bigger than a hockey story, so I didn't bury it in the NHL thread. This is the worst sports tragedy ever, and there's been several notable ones.

joey_rogo

i was glad to hear that the team plans on playing this season. i was also very pleased to see (possibly a rumor) that other teams have been potentially offering up players, decent ones at that, to form a new lokomotiv roster to honor those lost.

joey_rogo

also jaimoe, wasn't implying that this shouldve been in that thread... agreed on all counts of the severity of this.

Jaimoe

Quote from: joey_rogo on Sep 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
i was glad to hear that the team plans on playing this season. i was also very pleased to see (possibly a rumor) that other teams have been potentially offering up players, decent ones at that, to form a new lokomotiv roster to honor those lost.

Lokomotiv played in the KHL final last season. It was a loaded roster of aging stars and lots of solid NHL role players with a head coach that the Red Wings were grooming. I wasn't a fan of McCrimmon as a player, but he was a solid assistant coach and would have made a bigger impact in the NHL.