R.E.M. Breaks Up After Three Decades

Started by Tracy 2112, Sep 21, 2011, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

headhunter

loved this band once upon a time but it has been way too many years since I really liked one of their albums.  Murmur and Reckoning were awesome.  The last one's I really liked were long ago -- Automatic For the People and Out of Time.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

el_chode

Just when I finally started getting into them.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: headhunter on Sep 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
loved this band once upon a time but it has been way too many years since I really liked one of their albums.  Murmur and Reckoning were awesome.  The last one's I really liked were long ago -- Automatic For the People and Out of Time.

I didn't like Monster but liked Adventures in Hi-Fi; everything after that was meh for me.

I was fortunate enough to see them on this tour in 84

REM 6-9-84 Passaic 14. Driver 8

YimBlaylock

Major fan of almost all their records, though there was a considerable difference after Hi-fi. But still, a big fan here. This would definitely be a somber day...if I wasn't seeing M Ward tonight in Nashville.  :D
It's all happening.

Ghosts_on_TV

I love R.E.M. I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about their live show, ive never seen them, and he was saying how good it was. Guess ill never know.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

sweatboard

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
I love R.E.M. I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day about their live show, ive never seen them, and he was saying how good it was. Guess ill never know.

Get the "Perfect Square" dvd.  One of my favorite live dvd's ever
There's Still Time.........

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 21, 2011, 03:16 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Sep 21, 2011, 02:47 PM

I didn't like Monster but liked Adventures in Hi-Fi; everything after that was meh for me.

I was fortunate enough to see them on this tour in 84

REM 6-9-84 Passaic 14. Driver 8

I'm with you two.  My fondest memories of this band were from years ago.  I still like some of their recent material, but I'm kind of like Tracy in that most of it was just meh to me as well.

First time I saw them was in 1985 on the Reconstruction Tour and I saw them several more times up through their Green Tour.

As for the break-up, I really don't have any feelings about it one way or another.  As far as I'm concerned, their best days were long ago...

mjk73

I didn't even know they were still around. I thought they were done after Monster. Never was a fan.

CTdeadhead

Whoa!! This one hit me like an iron fist to the jaw, can't believe it.  I've seen these guys countless times over the years and it stinks I'll never see them again.  But this is a band that always delivered live.  Here's a glimpse of REM live, if this doesn't get you going, you may need defibrillator. 

R.E.M. - The One I Love live@Rock Am Ring 2005

Ghosts_on_TV

When you can get Modest Mouse and The National to open for you, you're still doing pretty alright, even if your "best years" are behind you.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

CTdeadhead

Seemed like of late if you didn't look for REM you probably would have missed them.  But I don't think they ever put a bad album out. 

bunk_moreland

This was the first band that I was ever obsessed with.  I know the general consensus is that they haven't been relevant for a while, but I really liked their most recent album Collapse Into Now.  And for my money, few bands have had a stretch of five completely solid outings along the lines of Fables of the Reconstruction-->Life's Rich Pageant-->Document-->Green-->Out of Time

Check out this column and see if it reminds you of anything you've ever read or written in this forum about mmj:  http://ttomlinson.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-rem-changed-my-life.html

"I just saw My Morning Jacket--They blew my pants off!" - Jimmy Fallon

My Morning Tube top

Wow just found out about this. Mike Mills dated a friend of mine for a while. He is a great guy and very talented. I hope to see him embark on new projects minus the Stipeatude... a man who seemed a bit "affected" by it all.

e_wind

Quote from: bunk_moreland on Sep 21, 2011, 07:45 PM

Check out this column and see if it reminds you of anything you've ever read or written in this forum about mmj:  http://ttomlinson.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-rem-changed-my-life.html

damn reading that now that they broke up was sad
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Sep 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Mills dated a friend of mine for a while.

Is your friend's name Lisa?

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Sep 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Mills dated a friend of mine for a while.

Is your friend's name Lisa?

Look, Lisa AND Mike are both friends of mine.  We're sitting here having some wine and I told them we should check out what's going on in this forum and now I regret it.

It's a tough time for both of them....let's just leave it alone.     
There's Still Time.........

iLikeBeer

Quote from: bunk_moreland on Sep 21, 2011, 07:45 PM
And for my money, few bands have had a stretch of five completely solid outings along the lines of Fables of the Reconstruction-->Life's Rich Pageant-->Document-->Green-->Out of Time

See, for me, the better stretch of five was Murmur > Reckoning > Fables > Life's > Document.

And, IMO, Out of Time and Automatic were both far superior albums to the Warner Bros sell out that was Green...