R.E.M. Breaks Up After Three Decades

Started by Tracy 2112, Sep 21, 2011, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

MSN is reporting that Stipe just signed a contract to endorse IPads.  It's all coming together. 

bunk_moreland

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 21, 2011, 11:57 PM
Quote from: bunk_moreland on Sep 21, 2011, 07:45 PM
And for my money, few bands have had a stretch of five completely solid outings along the lines of Fables of the Reconstruction-->Life's Rich Pageant-->Document-->Green-->Out of Time

See, for me, the better stretch of five was Murmur > Reckoning > Fables > Life's > Document.

And, IMO, Out of Time and Automatic were both far superior albums to the Warner Bros sell out that was Green...

It's hard to argue with that run of five, fo sho.  And I just went on an Automatic For the People listening spree over the weekend.  I also really REALLY like New Adventures In Hi Fi.  There is some serious depth to their catalog.
"I just saw My Morning Jacket--They blew my pants off!" - Jimmy Fallon

Jaimoe

Although I've never liked them, I prefer anything from REM compared to upcoming tunes from Micheal Stipes's inevitable solo career.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Fully

Why announce it? Just don't make any more records. If you feel like touring again in a few years, tour. I used to love REM when I was in high school and college and during the nineties. They changed much about modern music and many of the modern indie bands are offshoots from their musical influences. I bought the last two albums, but they didn't have the same magic to them. When I want to listen to them, I'll stick to the older albums. But really, why announce it unless you hope it gets people to start buying your back catalog or something.

e_wind

I think it makes sense for a band so big to announce it. It's a nice gesture to the fans to say "hey, don't think we're ignoring you, we're just not doing it anymore." If  MMJ broke up in 10 years, I would not want to be sitting around aimlessly waiting for a new album announcement or tour announcement. I'd like to know that it was over and it was a beautiful thing that I shouldn't wait on in the future.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Sep 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Mills dated a friend of mine for a while.

Is your friend's name Lisa?

Look, Lisa AND Mike are both friends of mine.  We're sitting here having some wine and I told them we should check out what's going on in this forum and now I regret it.

It's a tough time for both of them....let's just leave it alone.     

I don't know a Lisa, but my condolences. Hope the wine was therapeutic for everyone involved  :'(

Tracy 2112

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Sep 22, 2011, 06:51 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Sep 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Mills dated a friend of mine for a while.

Is your friend's name Lisa?
I don't know a Lisa, but my condolences. Hope the wine was therapeutic for everyone involved  :'(

The reason I ask, a FB friend of mine said he talked to Mike's ex named Lisa; wondered if it was the same person.

I guess Mike gets around       ;)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 22, 2011, 04:09 PM
I think it makes sense for a band so big to announce it. It's a nice gesture to the fans to say "hey, don't think we're ignoring you, we're just not doing it anymore." If  MMJ broke up in 10 years, I would not want to be sitting around aimlessly waiting for a new album announcement or tour announcement. I'd like to know that it was over and it was a beautiful thing that I shouldn't wait on in the future.
You do have a point. I suppose I just think of all the times that a band "breaks up" and then several years down the road they do a reunion tour which I have no problem with. I think that whenever a band is on hiatus that they aren't working. Unless there is a conflict within the band, I hate to see them say that they are never going to record or perform together again. Remember when Jay-Z "retired" from rap and then two years later released another album. Why retire? Just take time off.

joey_rogo

Jaimoe

Anyone brave enough to check out those leaked Michael Stipe full-frontal photos yet? Curiously timed I might add.

CTdeadhead

I saw this posted on a newsite.  The actual picture is in such fast motion the nudity is not visible, but if you want to see it,

NSFW Photo
http://www.buzzfeed.com/craigm6/rem-frontman-michael-stipe-nude-photos-nsfw-2ikv

sweatboard

Quote from: Jaimoe on Sep 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone brave enough to check out those leaked Michael Stipe full-frontal photos yet? Curiously timed I might add.

This stuff was recorded a while back, it's either because of Michael's clever sense of humor or society's sickness that it's come to our attention now.......or both. 

CTdeadhead

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 23, 2011, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Sep 23, 2011, 09:44 AM

This stuff was recorded a while back, it's either because of Michael's clever sense of humor or society's sickness that it's come to our attention now.......or both.

Here Here!

chaqueta sucia

The blueprint for indie music as well as how to conduct yourselves with dignity in the business=REM.  They will be deeply missed but it was their time.  They are going out with a bang with this track listing for the Greatest Hits package to drop Nov. 15th.........WOW :D!!!!!!!!!!  what a list of songs including three new ones.

R.E.M. have revealed the full track listing for Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage: 1982-2011, a career-spanning hits retrospective due in stores on November 15th. The set will feature three unreleased cuts – "Hallelujah," "A Month of Saturdays" and "We All Go Back to Where We Belong" – that were completed after the band wrapped up their final album, Collapse Into Now.

The double-disc set features all of the band's biggest pop hits, such as "The One I Love," "Stand," "Losing My Religion," "Man on the Moon" and "Everybody Hurts," as well as several fan favorites and concert staples, like "Life and How to Live It," "Begin the Begin," "Country Feedback" and "Electrolite."

The full track listing is as follows:

Disc One:

"Gardening at Night"
"Radio Free Europe"
"Talk About the Passion"
"Sitting Still"
"So. Central Rain"
"(Don't Go Back to) Rockville"
"Driver 8"
"Life and How to Live It"
"Begin the Begin"
"Fall on Me"