Vegetarian Victuals!

Started by the_wizzard, Sep 27, 2011, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_wizzard

So this is by no way out there to detract from our lovely Foodies Unite thread.  But some of us folk around here are vegetarian.  And others just love veggies.  Come share your recipes, restaurant experiences, and all thoughts vegetarian.

Allow me to start with this kick ass recipe I found in Sunset magazine.  It is yummy and oh so easy to prepare:

Black pepper tofu and green beans
1lb green beans (trimmed and halved)
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
1 tsp pepper
14 oz drained firm tofu
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced shallots

1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add green beans and cook until bright green (~3 minutes).  Drain and rinse with cold water.  In a small bowl, mix lime juice, soy sauce or tamari, and pepper, then set aside.
2.  Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick rectangles.  Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add tofu, sprinkle with sugar and cook (turning occasionally until evenly browned, ~10 minutes).  Stir in shallots and cook until browned, ~ 3 minutes.  Add green beans and cook until warmed.  Pour in soy mixture and stir to coat.

We served it with quinoa but rice is fine too.  Super easy and super yummy!

*props go out to Kate Washington, whoever and wherever you are...

woodnymph

(in German accent)  *Applause!  Applause!*

Great kick-off for a great thread!!  That sounds de-lish!

Here's my Butternut Squash soup recipe!!

2 butternut squash
2 sweet potatoes
2 other potatoes (or 4 sweet potatoes!)
1/2 - 1 can of pumpkin puree
3 carrots
*pinch of nutmeg (or pumpkin pie spices)
*salt/pepper to taste
1 bay leaf

And I use a couple bouillon cubes, and enough water to cover the cooking potatoes

1. Slice butternut squash in halves, long-ways
2. Scoop seeds out, turn upside down and bake uncovered for 30-45 mins at 350-375 degrees
3. While squash cooks, dice up potatoes and carrots and place in a pot, fill with water just enough to cover them so they cook--- add bouillon cubes and stir a few times while they cook
4. When squash and potatoes/carrots are cooked, scrape the squash out of its skin and put into blender
5. Save the potato/carrot broth, but strain carrots and potatoes out of broth and pour them into the blender with the squash
6. Add as much pumpkin as you like into the blender
7. Slowly add in a bit of the broth into the blender until it reaches your ideal consistency
8. Puree for smooth creamy soup, or pulse a few times for a chunky goodness  :)
9. Pour all contents back into pot and simmer on low for 20-30 more mins
   **Add spices during this stage

Yummmmm!!!  Thanks for the great thread, wizzardddd!!   :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

e_wind

I'm not vegetarian, but  try not to eat meat everyday. Too many documentaries about food and america's diet have scared me into eating well!

I NEVER have luck cooking tofu, though I love it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

the_wizzard

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 27, 2011, 11:53 PM
I'm not vegetarian, but  try not to eat meat everyday. Too many documentaries about food and america's diet have scared me into eating well!

I NEVER have luck cooking tofu, though I love it.

Here are a few tips that I have learned over the years:
1. Drain your tofu.  Do this by putting the tofu between 2 plates and placing a heavy object (I use cook books) on top.  Gravity then slowly squeezes out the excess water.  Or you can pick up the plates and gently squeeze them together, if you don't have time.  I prefer the first method when I want pieces (ie squares, slices, cubes, etc) but if I am going to crumble the tofu, then method #2 is used.
2.  Also, I rinse the tofu when I take it out the packaging.  I like to wash off the water from the container, makes it feel fresh or something.
3.  If you can plan ahead, try this out: remove from the package and rinse the tofu, press the tofu in way that preserves the shape (for the most part, don't fret if it cracks a little), put in a freezer safe container and freeze overnight, defrost and press again.  Now you have made the tofu more spongy and ready for your marinade.  You can pan fry, bake, stir fry or even steam the tofu.  Just be sure to marinade, speaking of...
4.  Marinade!  It is the most vital element to good tofu dishes.  It is amazing how much you can do with simple marinades.

Hope this helps.  And don't forget tofu's favorite cousin, tempeh.  MMMmmmmm, tempeh...

mahg33ta

whoo hoo!  vegetarian MMJ fans.   Now that IS a niche interest group.   Count me in! (vegetarian since age 4)

don't have recipes on hand but for anyone looking for cookbooks, I use heavily and recommend:

quick vegetarian pleasures, Jeanne Lemlin
vegetarian planet and entertaining for a veggie planet, Didi Emmons

the moosewood book is well known but some of their others are better IMO - low-fat favorites, daily special, new classics

the roasted vegetable, andrea chesman -  I LOVE roasting vegetables and my expertise (although that's too strong a word) comes from this book.   Not a lot of full meal recipes but all kinds of advice, sides, etc.   My favs are fingerlings, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and green beans.

walterfredo

Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
the moosewood book is well known but some of their others are better IMO - low-fat favorites, daily special, new classics

the classic, OG veggie cookbook!

Since age 4?  This must have been instilled by your parents, no?

ALady

I tend to cook veg more often than not.  Lately my go-to easy-peasy fall meal is sauteed/wilted kale, leeks, creminis, and garlic with lots of lemon, thyme and nutmeg served over over parmesan polenta.  You can add bacon if you like.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

the_wizzard

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 28, 2011, 12:15 PM

Totally!  It was the vegetarian primer for me and most my friends.  I am most partial to Moosewood New Classics.  While it is not written by Molly Katzen (and therefore does not have her awesome doodles), it has never, ever failed me. 
*side note, I know someone who is family friends Molly Katzen and I was star struck when I found out that their families used to celebrate High Holidays and Passover with her family  ;D
The tofu hijiki burgers in New Classics are a favorite of my friends, especially the avocado/wasabi dressing.  And the hub's all-time favorite comfort meal is the Homespun Pot Pie in this cookbook. 

Currently digging Veganomicon, even though I am not a vegan.  Excellent recipes....

the_wizzard

WTF?  Why is the forum auto-correcting the name winnie the pooh to Winnie the Pooh?  I have tried to modify this 4 times now. 
M.O.L.L.Y.  not winnie the pooh.
;D

Modification:
*SEE!!!!  It did it again!!! 

mjk73

Butternut squash
butter
dark brown sugar
cinnamon
salt

sautee squash until it starts to get tender (go light on the salt it's really just to help pull the water out.). Add in BS and Cin and mix until done. It's a great side for a savory dinner or even better the next day as breakfast.

enjoy

e_wind

anyone have any luck/skill with lentils?  I keep trying with dry lentils, and they always turn out okay, but not as good as I know they have the potential too. Any recipes to make them a solid side dish would be appreciated

woodnymph

Do you soak those babies overnight, e?  You supposedly don't have to, but I've always liked the results of soakin' em.

After I soak them, I throw them into a pot of fresh water (not their soaking water) with a couple bouillon cubes, 24 bay leaves, onion and/or garlic, and any other appetizing veggies I have on hand.... def. carrots and potatoes

Ok, one bay leaf should do.... I wrote about a lentil soup I made on here last year (or earlier this year?...) and had a bay leaf issue with using too many....  ::)

I'm sure other people will have other ideas for ya too, lentils are awesome!

I've also made a Mujadara; lentils and candied onions + seasoned rice... (salt & pepper to taste of course) though I can't seem to get the Mediterranean seasonings as good as the restaurants do.... I've still been quite pleased with my results!

woodnymph

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
Butternut squash
butter
dark brown sugar
cinnamon
salt

sautee squash until it starts to get tender (go light on the salt it's really just to help pull the water out.). Add in BS and Cin and mix until done. It's a great side for a savory dinner or even better the next day as breakfast.

enjoy

This one's next on my list!!  I keep making butternut squash soup though heh  :P

e_wind

okay well I just made a GIANT pot of lentils (I eat em literally every day,  so I make giant pots at a time since I started making my own). at then end of this pot in a few days I'm going to try it with onions/garlic/carrots for sure. and if I have any celery or carrots lying around i may just chop those babies up too.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: the_wizzard on Sep 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
WTF?  Why is the forum auto-correcting the name winnie the pooh to Winnie the Pooh?  I have tried to modify this 4 times now. 
M.O.L.L.Y.  not winnie the pooh.
;D

Modification:
*SEE!!!!  It did it again!!!

That is kind of weird. The drug maybe?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

the_wizzard

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 PM

I am not so sure. If I can write ecstasy and all the abc's of cuss words, I don't think that is the reason.

Modification:
Perhaps there is a legit reason for the "M" word to not be mentioned on this site. But I think me trying to mention m.o.l.l.y katzen, acclaimed chef and author, and not being able to is silly. pudding is seriously uncool.

Double modify:
Pudding was c.e.n.s.o.r.s.h.i.p. before the forum auto-corrected.  Geez, can't you cut us a break in the Vegetarian thread?!?!?

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: the_wizzard on Sep 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 PM

I am not so sure. If I can write ecstasy and all the abc's of cuss words, I don't think that is the reason.

Modification:
Perhaps there is a legit reason for the "M" word to not be mentioned on this site. But I think me trying to mention m.o.l.l.y katzen, acclaimed chef and author, and not being able to is silly. pudding is seriously uncool.

Double modify:
Pudding was c.e.n.s.o.r.s.h.i.p. before the forum auto-corrected.  Geez, can't you cut us a break in the Vegetarian thread?!?!?

;D
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

mjk73

?? Is this auto correct thing only doing it from your iphone? As much shit as I've splashed on these pages, nothing I've typed has ever auto-corrected. That I've noticed.

MarkW

Quote from: mjk73 on Sep 29, 2011, 07:21 AM
?? Is this auto correct thing only doing it from your iphone? As much shit as I've splashed on these pages, nothing I've typed has ever auto-corrected. That I've noticed.

That's because you've never called anyone a dandruff flake.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mahg33ta

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 28, 2011, 12:15 PM

Since age 4?  This must have been instilled by your parents, no?

yes, instilled by parents.   We moved to England and they thought the meat there was awful, so quit.