Forum Album Club #6 ~ Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Started by wolof7, Oct 05, 2011, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Hey everyone,

have to attend to some last minute wedding planning stuff....can someone do a solid and host the listening party at 9:30...I will join in when I get home....Thanks  :beer:

Wolof
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Nice Lyric .....Things Behind The Sun

Take your time and you'll be fine
And say a prayer for people there
Who live on the floor
And if you see what's meant to be
Don't name the day or try to say
It happened before

Yes, be what you'll be

sweatboard

That Voice, That Guitar, and the first song says all you need to know about the lyrics.... And none of you stand so tall
Pink moon gonna get ye all
And it's a pink moon
Yes, a pink moon

Simple...Brilliant
Undeniable
Beautiful

ManNamedTruth

Didn't think I knew Nick Drake, but I know Pink Moon from a commercial (car commercial?). Great song! Easily was the standout on my first listen.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Im The Dude

you must listen to this on vinyl! I love this album.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

wolof7

Ok back now yall....

....So my favorite unconfirmed but alleged story around 'Pink Moon' is that Nick Drake recorded the album in like 24 hours....it wasn't necessarily an album proper but the label was pressuring him for something....at the time Nick was so depressed he took to isolating himself quite abit, paranoid and suicidal......he was also smoking copious amounts of hashish which can cause introversion (introspection) and withdrawal from socialization.....

....anyhow Nick showed up at the record labels office waiting to hand the 'Pink Moon' to his manager....He was aloof and indifferent to the receptionist who stated she'd fetch him.....after about 2 minutes, the receptionist stated that she would go look for him herself and left Nick alone at the desk.....When she got back Nick was gone and the tapes were left on the desk.....No one from the record label heard from him again....

...thank god for that secratary

sweatboard

pressing play now.

Looking forward to finding this on vinyl

ManNamedTruth

I think someone mentioned this was about 30 minutes? It didn't seem that short, it's a good run time for a sparse album like this. I liked the subtle piano notes on Pink Moon, I remember mostly just guitar on the first listen.

wolof7

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
Didn't think I knew Nick Drake, but I know Pink Moon from a commercial (car commercial?). Great song! Easily was the standout on my first listen.

that was the time of his rebirth and the time I first heard of Nick round 2000, I lived that album through my junior year of high school.

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
Ok back now yall....

....So my favorite unconfirmed but alleged story around 'Pink Moon' is that Nick Drake recorded the album in like 24 hours....it wasn't necessarily an album proper but the label was pressuring him for something....at the time Nick was so depressed he took to isolating himself quite abit, paranoid and suicidal......he was also smoking copious amounts of hashish which can cause introversion (introspection) and withdrawal from socialization.....

....anyhow Nick should up at the record labels office waiting to hand the 'Pink Moon' to his manager....He was aloof and indifferent to the receptionist who stated she'd fetch him.....after about 2 minutes, the receptionist stated that she would go look for him herself and left Nick along at the desk.....When she got back Nick was gone and the tapes were left on the desk.....No one from the record label heard from him again....

Sounds about right.  I figured he was on some shit and in a strange place.

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 05, 2011, 09:31 PM
pressing play now.

Looking forward to finding this on vinyl

Have not found this on vinyl yet.....must do that.

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 05, 2011, 09:32 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 05, 2011, 09:27 PM

that was the time of his rebirth and the time I first heard of Nick round 2000, I lived that album through my junior year of high school.

I know the last song from somewhere it's brilliant!!

sweatboard

If he really did record this in 24hours it makes so much sense.  It really reminds me of Daniel Johnston, it's just raw emotion and expression and I'm a sucker for this kind of output. 

wolof7

PINK MOON- Nick Drake

TUNING: D A D G D F# (capo 2nd fret) or C G C F C E (capo 4th fret)

INTRODUCTION:
F#||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---||
D ||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---||
G ||-2-2-2-0-0-0-0-0/2--.||
D ||-4-4-4-2-0-2-0-2/4--.||
A ||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---||
D ||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---||

VERSE:
||-7-7-7-7-7---5-5-5-5-5---||
||-7-9-7-9-7---5-7-5-7-5---||
||-7-7-7-7-7---5-5-5-5-5--.||
||-7-7-7-7-7---5-5-5-5-5--.||

CHORUS:
Introduction followed by:
||-0-----0-----0-0-0-0-0-0------||
||-0-----0-----0-0-0-0-0-0------||
||-0-----2-----0-0-0-0-0-2-----.||
||-0-----4-----2-0-0-0-0/4-----.||
||-2-----0-----0-0-2-0-2-0------||
||-2-----0-----0-0-0-0-0-0------||

SOLO:
||-0-------------|-1-0--------------||
||---2-0---------|-----2-0-----0----||
||-------6-4-0---|---------2h4---2-.||
||-------------2-|---------------4-.||
||-------------2-|------------------||
||---------------|------------------||

Super easy

sweatboard

His guitar sounds so amazing.  It's like it's directly connected to his soul.

wolof7

via Wikipedia:

Pink Moon is the third and final album by English musician Nick Drake. It was recorded at midnight in two separate two-hour sessions, over two days in October 1971, featuring only Nick Drake's vocals and guitar, as well as some piano later overdubbed by Drake on the title track.

wolof7

As much as I love his other albums, this album is just perfect to me....hauntingly delicate and a perfect encapsulation of melancholy, and thats based solely on the music and his voice.

Sweatboard, an apt comparison with Daniel Johnston....there is something about mood disorders that can create some serious art.

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 05, 2011, 09:38 PM
via Wikipedia:

Pink Moon is the third and final album by English musician Nick Drake. It was recorded at midnight in two separate two-hour sessions, over two days in October 1971, featuring only Nick Drake's vocals and guitar, as well as some piano later overdubbed by Drake on the title track.

Note to kids everywhere, sometimes all you need is six strings and some emotion.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on Oct 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
Ok back now yall....

....anyhow Nick showed up at the record labels office waiting to hand the 'Pink Moon' to his manager....He was aloof and indifferent to the receptionist who stated she'd fetch him.....after about 2 minutes, the receptionist stated that she would go look for him herself and left Nick alone at the desk.....When she got back Nick was gone and the tapes were left on the desk.....No one from the record label heard from him again....

Things Behind The Sun definitely sounds paranoid.