My iPhone Stopped Working

Started by el_chode, Oct 05, 2011, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

It just rebooted and played taps. Anyone else?
I'm surrounded by assholes

headhunter

Very sad.  SJ was a true visionary. Others will say it better.

Einstein, Edison, Ford, Gates, Jobs.

RIP
was some shakin' and some record playin'

el_chode

I grew up with the products. I don't think visionary is apt, because it wasn't just vision. I mean he revolutionized animation, music production, music distribution, music consumption, personal communication, aesthetics, and not to mention computers.

ManNamedTruth

I'm a Mac :)
R.I.P. Steve Jobs
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

e_wind

Did anyone watch the newest showcase for the iPhone 4s? The facts about apples sales are crazy! Like 3 in 4 tablets sold are iPads. 9 in 10 mp3 players are iPods. 1 in 10 are iPhones. 40% of personal computers are MacBooks and iMacs. Those numbers are all guesses I can't find the article easily from my iPhone ha.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Help me out here guys.  I'm not a hater by any means but I'm not a user of any Apple products.  I've never owned a Mac, an ipod (never even used one before), ipad and don't use itunes.  I have avoided many Apple products because of the cultish nature of Apple product users and their way of consumption.  You know what it's like delivering pizzas to the apple store? ;D

However, when I read the facebook commentary about his importance, I'm lost.  I love my life and I don't think I've been deprived of anything yet people make it seem that someone like Louis Pasteur or Mother Theresa passed.  Are our lives that much better?  Clearly his genius is lost on me :embarassed:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Avoiding it for the sake of avoiding proves just how influintial
This technology is. The reason their sales numbers are the way they are is because Apple is doing it first and best.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
Avoiding it for the sake of avoiding proves just how influintial
This technology is. The reason their sales numbers are the way they are is because Apple is doing it first and best.
Well sure, I don't deny their success at all.  It's quite remarkable what Apple has done.  To create insatiable demand for high end tech products in a recession is shocking.  I guess maybe I'm not ready to step into the future with both feet yet.  I figure I appreciate new technology as much as most do.  Something about the culture around comes across as a little lacking in the soul department.  Both my parents and my older brother's family are avid Apple consumers so I am surrounded by it.  Perhaps that has bred my cynicism.

I guess maybe I was taken aback by the pedestal upon which he has been placed as far was what we value in modern society in a very general perspective.  Hmm, I figure it was misplaced social commentary on my part and not a critique of Jobs' business acumen and forward thinking.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

I am sorry for his passing as  I am for any human who meets their end prematurely.  I also recognize his role in our culture and the place of technology within it.  I am impressed with much that Apple products do and how they have influenced others in terms of design and user interface.  However, the exclusive nature of their products and software, especially iTunes, is a big turn off for me.  Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

RIP Mr. Jobs.

I've had two Apple products now, a 30 gb video ipod...hand-me-down from my little brother...and now my iphone.

In general, I love the iPhone, but it's the first and only smartphone I've ever had, so take that for what it's worth.  I don't really like itunes at all.  I'm probably doing something wrong, but it splits up all my albums/artists for some stupid reason.  For example, Andrew Bird's "The Swimming Hour" is broken up by itunes into 5 different albums!  Somehow it thinks this one album is really 5 albums...no idea why.  And it leaves Heartbreakin' Man completely off The Tennessee Fire.  Also, I can't load half the music on my hard drive onto the phone because I didn't buy it from the right place or whatever...DRM stuff.  Some of the files I think I ripped onto my computer from vinyl, and it doesn't even seem to allow some of those.  No complaints with the phone, hate itunes.  it probably has something to do with file tagging, and I'm sure there are ways around a lot of this stuff, but I don't have the time like I used to in college to be playing around with this kinda stuff, I just want it to work...Apple seems to be known for that, but it ain't happening for me with itunes.
We could.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 06, 2011, 02:19 PM
I am sorry for his passing as  I am for any human who meets their end prematurely.  I also recognize his role in our culture and the place of technology within it.  I am impressed with much that Apple products do and how they have influenced others in terms of design and user interface.  However, the exclusive nature of their products and software, especially iTunes, is a big turn off for me.  Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

I feel the same way.  I'm a PC.  Have always been.  I have a Zune 120GB and a Zune Pass that lets me download unlimited music for $14.95/mo.  To me, that is a great deal and the ease of synching my music in the Zune software seems much easier than anything in itunes. 

Of course I'm posting this on my wifes MacBook Pro...  :P   ;D

el_chode

I think setting the standard for being a game changer at the Mother Theresa level is missing the point. In fact, I reject the idea that the only good is some wholesome help-the-poor idea. It's like saying the only way to be smart is to be good at math. Picasso never helped the poor like Mother Theresa, yet we don't consider him any less influential.

touchingmept2

Jobs has changed the way mankind communicates.  I like to think that he was up there with Edison, not so much Gates though. Please read up on his background, as he was a pretty gnarly man!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

capt. scotty

I agree with everyone that Apple has been a game changer and very influential, but at the same time Im amazed at how with his death he's basically been proclaimed Tech Jesus. At this rate, Mark Zuckerberg will be looked at the same way 50 years from now for revolutionizing that facet of communication and networking.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons