Main Menu

Jazz prt2

Started by dragonboy, Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Did anyone start a new Jazz thread? Couldn't find one, my bad if they did...

Willis Jackson -- Nuther'N Like Thuther'N
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

peafunk31

Of course some funk & blues mixed in but I feel that there's enough jazz present to warrant posting. I friggin love these albums. Especially with the wife, after a few drinks, a bit of herbal & candlelight. Gooooooood stuff
Homer no function beer well without.

buaawwww

One of my most treasured possessions... this box set is just perfect in every way.

Add to this...

the_wizzard

Hey DB, thanks for bringing this thread back.  I don't think there is one in the forum 2.0.

Here is a nice little snip, seen both of these guys on their own, but together would be  :o

Terrence Blanchard & Donald Harrison (Live)

the_wizzard

I saw Donald Harrison years ago at the Blue Note in NYC.  He brought his nephew on stage who was studying at Julliard at the time.  You may know him, Christian Scott.  Saw him on his own last year and he rips!  I love new, young jazz artists:

Christian Scott on Jimmy Kimmel Live

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

the_wizzard

the_wizzard

*some of you may recognize this tune thanks to the Beastie Boys. 

Jimmy Smith - Root Down (Part1)

Jaimoe

I've tried to trade in my 4 Galactic albums to two local indie stores, but had no takers.

peafunk31

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 14, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've tried to trade in my 4 Galactic albums to two local indie stores, but had no takers.

I can understand not liking the latter Galactic albums, but the 1st 2 are fantastic in my eyes (or ears)

Jaimoe

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 14, 2011, 02:38 PM

I can understand not liking the latter Galactic albums, but the 1st 2 are fantastic in my eyes (or ears)

Two of those I own. I've seen them 3 times and tried to like them, but I can't get into them.

peafunk31

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 14, 2011, 02:41 PM

Two of those I own. I've seen them 3 times and tried to like them, but I can't get into them.

Well I will admit they were much better when The Houseman was still in the band. Did you see them when he was still an active member?

Jaimoe

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 14, 2011, 02:46 PM

Well I will admit they were much better when The Houseman was still in the band. Did you see them when he was still an active member?

Yes, and he never bugged me like he did with a big number of their fans. I thought he made them more versatile and helped with the pacing in concert.

peafunk31

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 14, 2011, 02:50 PM

Yes, and he never bugged me like he did with a big number of their fans. I thought he made them more versatile and helped with the pacing in concert.

Right on. I 100% agree on Theryl. To each their own brother :thumbsup:

Jaimoe

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 14, 2011, 02:50 PM

Right on. I 100% agree on Theryl. To each their own brother :thumbsup:

I'm a guitarist and I don't find Jeff Raines' lead playing inspiring; he's at times an after-thought, It's a big reason why I bailed on these guys.

dragonboy

the_wizzard

Nice Db!  I see your Hank Mobley and raise you one Lou Donaldson with Dr. Lonnie Smith  :o

Lou Donaldson with Dr. Lonnie Smith

Shug

Quote from: peafunk31 on Oct 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
Of course some funk & blues mixed in but I feel that there's enough jazz present to warrant posting. I friggin love these albums. Especially with the wife, after a few drinks, a bit of herbal & candlelight. Gooooooood stuff

Sounds like "date night" that my wife and I like to have, but with a different soundtrack.  ;)  We usually watch a concert DVD, like Okonokos or Ashes of American Flags, or some Zeppelin or Stones or Black Crowes.  We'll have to try some Galactic, though, thanks for the tip.   :thumbsup:
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

dragonboy

Shit man, I don't have any Mingus! Educate me please jazz cats...

Ruckus

Quote from: dragonboy on Jan 19, 2012, 05:54 PM
Shit man, I don't have any Mingus! Educate me please jazz cats...
The essential starting point typically is Ah Umm, widely regarded as his compositional masterpiece and the home to many jazz standards.  It was rereleased last year with a bunch of extra stuff that two tone named one of his favorite albums from last year.  Other classics are Pithecanthropus Erectus and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.  He's known more for his writing than his playing but I always regarded him as a damn good bassist.  He played on the famous Massey Hall concert though the bass lines in the recording were dubbed over because the bass did not record well.

Also his quasi autobiography, "Beneath the Underdog" is a fascinating look at a VERY unique character.  One of my college roomies named his black cat Mingus.  I'll hit you up later.  Most of my Mingus is on vinyl.

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head