Forum Album Club #7 ~ Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Started by mjk73, Oct 12, 2011, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

nice pick Koehler, might even buy the CD. it's a good album for drinking for sure.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 12, 2011, 11:12 PM

;D ;D ;D omg that puppy hahah

I really like Peggy Sang the Blues so far, it reminds me of something I can't quite recall, and I diggg.... likin' the up-beat-ness kickin things off....
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Holy crap, Rivers starts off sounding like Zep's "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp," at the 14 second mark... this one's already got my vote  :thumbsup:

Ruckus

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 12, 2011, 11:31 PM
Holy crap, Rivers starts off sounding like Zep's "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp," at the 14 second mark... this one's already got my vote  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
I'm giving it another listen with the lyric sheet as well
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

woodnymph

Well I feel awful late to the party tonight... but I'm on "I'm Disappeared" right now, and on that note I might disappear myself and head to bed..... I do like what I hear so far though, and I don't get much of the "Irish pub" vibe thus far in..... though I guess I was expecting to hear an album to the tune of Ween's "Blarney Stone" hahah  (which I do like from time to time!) True I hope you don't mind my substitute veggie sausage affinity overtaking your quote, that's just how I roll  8)

Goodnight ya'll, this lurker appreciates all the great recommends, til next week!

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
I feel like I cheated on Sweatboard ;D

Cards WIN, CARDS WIN!!!!!  Take your sausage and stick it in your butt....God Is Gay!@! 

Good stuff Rukus, I'm listening right now......Proud  :)

Because there never was no God!!!

There is no God, We're all in this together. 

There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 PM

Cards WIN, CARDS WIN!!!!!  Take your sausage and stick it in your butt....God Is Gay!@! 

This is your fellow Cards' fan Koehler's album.  The series is going 7

sweatboard

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 PM

This is your fellow Cards' fan Koehler's album.  The series is going 7

I hope so, it's so much fun. 

Really like the song writing on this record but I'm not sure I'm English enough to dig it out time and time again.  I CAN really see how this would be a favorite for many people.  I'm on "I'm Disappeared" right now.  My favorite so far....Bob Dylan reference, people wrapped up tight and things that might kill them and it doesn't really sound like a pub song, or an fm song, somewhere in-between......money.  It sounds kind of like Keane, when Keane is good....which is'nt that often. 

sweatboard

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 12, 2011, 11:50 PM
Well I feel awful late to the party tonight... but I'm on "I'm Disappeared" right now, and on that note I might disappear myself and head to bed..... I do like what I hear so far though, and I don't get much of the "Irish pub" vibe thus far in..... though I guess I was expecting to hear an album to the tune of Ween's "Blarney Stone" hahah  (which I do like from time to time!) True I hope you don't mind my substitute veggie sausage affinity overtaking your quote, that's just how I roll  8)

Goodnight ya'll, this lurker appreciates all the great recommends, til next week!

I noticed the veggie sausage immediately, before I read this post.  i thought "hey! that's not what I posted!" I thought you were using subliminal persuasion.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjk73

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 13, 2011, 12:14 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Oct 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
Where's Brian?

Watching the Cards.  Pray for them!!
sweatin this bitch out. I think they are trying to kill us all via heart attack

BOOYAH!!!

It really is a fantastic record. I strongly encourage those that enjoyed it to check out FT's other 3 albums. They are great as well. EKMB I feel is his most accomplished. So good

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
Question, I may have missed something, but can someone tell me what the H and the C stand for on the album's cover? Obviously, FT is for Frank Turner, but those other two got me stumped.
I assumed the crossbones were some kind of ironic nod to his hardcore/post-hardcore past and merged his musical past with the 'to the bones' patriotism of the album.

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 13, 2011, 10:02 AM
Question, I may have missed something, but can someone tell me what the H and the C stand for on the album's cover? Obviously, FT is for Frank Turner, but those other two got me stumped.
I assumed the crossbones were some kind of ironic nod to his hardcore/post-hardcore past and merged his musical past with the 'to the bones' patriotism of the album.

From the Frank Turner website's FAQ section:

What does FTHC stand for? The HC stands for "hardcore". In the USA in the early 80's, each scene would have a little logo that'd be a cross with the initials LAHC (for Los Angeles), NYHC (for New York) and so on. So it's a little visual joke, and a nice logo for me.

Good call Ruckus!
It's all happening.

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 13, 2011, 10:02 AM

From the Frank Turner website's FAQ section:

What does FTHC stand for? The HC stands for "hardcore". In the USA in the early 80's, each scene would have a little logo that'd be a cross with the initials LAHC (for Los Angeles), NYHC (for New York) and so on. So it's a little visual joke, and a nice logo for me.

Good call Ruckus!
You know what?  I think it may have been ewind that brought my attention to the meaning of the cross and HC.  I had already known FT's musical background but I hadn't pieced the cover together until ewind made a jab at the hardcore cover in one of the other threads.

he.who.forgets

Finally got around to listening to this one all the way through at work today.  I had played bits and pieces since Tuesday.  This is a great, cohesive album.  Stand-outs for me are Peggy, Rivers, Wessex, & Glory.  I'll have to pick this one up!

marino13

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 12, 2011, 10:20 PM
What makes the album for me is Glory Hallelujah as a closer to Eulogy as an opener.  As a devout atheist, I cannot express enough the joy of having an anthem.  I know he has to preface this track live everytime he plays it with a speech saying it's his time to say his peace.

So positive :)

My wife's sister and her VP of a local Oil Company husband are both fanatical Baptists as well as Fox News watching Tea Party wealthy Republicans and Glory Hallelujah is one song I would love to sit them down to listen to!  :thumbsup:  I get so fed up with having to listen to them act as though their beliefs are the ONLY true beliefs?!  Close minded people suck!

Agree that closed minded people suck.  Just don't fall into the trap of thinking all Christians are "Fox News watching Tea Party wealthy Republicans", or you will be just as closed minded as them.  I am a believer, but I have far less patience for those types of Christians than I do for non-Christians, it's not even close. 

I listened to this album on Spinner when it first came out.  Thought it was pretty good, but the last song was obviously a turnoff for me.  There were several other good albums out at the time, including Circuital, taking my attention so I didn't feel the urge to buy it.  My sister-in-law saw him in concert last year and did shots with him afterward and said he was really cool (and she's a Christian too :)).

iLikeBeer

Quote from: marino13 on Oct 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Agree that closed minded people suck.  Just don't fall into the trap of thinking all Christians are "Fox News watching Tea Party wealthy Republicans", or you will be just as closed minded as them.  I am a believer, but I have far less patience for those types of Christians than I do for non-Christians, it's not even close. 

Oh.  Trust me, I don't fall into that trap.  I'm not an atheist myself but at the same time I have a hard time believing that one religion is better than another and to  take it a step further, I have a hard time when I hear Christians bickering over which form of Christianity is better.  My wife is Catholic and her sister (the Baptist) is constantly harping on us how Catholics aren't 'true' believers and that always bugs the shit out of me.  IMO, a Christian should be a Christian whether they are Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic or whatever.  They are also very judgemental and my attitude is, unless you're perfect, you have nothing to be judgemental about!  And I'm also not a regular church goer nor is my wife (we go with her mom on holidays and stuff) and I get so sick of hearing about how we need the structure of a church.  I'm always reminded of a bumber sticker that read, "If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to a garage make you a car?"

marino13

My biggest problem is judging other Christians for being judgmental to non-Christians, which I suppose makes me a bit of a hypocrite.  8)

MarkW

Glad you guys enjoyed this one.  Sorry I missed it, but I was busy being English at a London Stock Exchange awards dinner at the old Billingsgate Fish Market.  Anyhoo, 3am UK time (and 9pm your time) saw me lurching through Picadilly Circus in black tie clutching a kebab.  Happy days.

This album is one of the best of the year for me.  I love Bragg, and I get some of his vibe from this.  Also seems to be some folk-punk (Men They Couldn't Hang, Levellers) going on too.

Finally, I love Glory Hallelujah as a closer.  I'm a pretty militant atheist; I mean, how many arguments and wars can you have over who has the best imaginary friend?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side