Forum Album Club #8 - Astronautalis - This is Our Science

Started by Ruckus, Oct 19, 2011, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Well I know there may be a low turnout if any at all tonight but I thought I'd get this started regardless.

My friend had recommended me Pomegranate, his previous album earlier this year but I never gave it the time I should have.  When CC posted about This is Our Science, I dug into his catalog pretty hard.

This is his most concise, radio friendly album to date.  As a longtime fan of underground/indie hip hop who lately had been turned off to the scene, this album has been a welcome surprise.  It should be noted before the album is discussed, what an accomplished freestylist that Bothwell is.  I look forward to seeing him in November where he will be performing with a full band as he has been on this tour.

Top to bottom, this album is stylistically diverse and lyrically superb, where his complete immersion in the theme of the album is readily apparent.  With the exception of Midday Moon, I love this album top to bottom.  It would be tough to pick favorites but I'd mention Holy Water as a high point with JT's nod to Tom Waits rapping being on point.  Dimitri Mendeleev and Measure the Globe are also great.

I hope that some have the time to give this great album a fair shake and look forward to hearing other viewpoints.

EDIT:  This is on Spotify but PM me if anyone would like me to up this
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

I figured this would be an album with crossover possibility for those that are hesitant to check out any hip hop because of Bothwell's expansive musical palette allowing him to seamlessly fuse numerous styles while demonstrating his vocal versatility.

YimBlaylock

I've listened to the album 3 or 4 times since it was announced for this week. It's funny how you can almost forget you're listening to rap music while you're listening to it. And I like a pretty decent amount of rap, but this isn't like most of the stuff I listen to. Definitely a successive-listen record, getting better with time. Also, the style is so eclectic, there's something for almost anybody. I have friends whose musical tastes are almost polar opposites of mine, but this is one where some common ground might be found. I recommended it to them, but I'm still awaiting reply.
It's all happening.

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 19, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've listened to the album 3 or 4 times since it was announced for this week. It's funny how you can almost forget you're listening to rap music while you're listening to it. And I like a pretty decent amount of rap, but this isn't like most of the stuff I listen to. Definitely a successive-listen record, getting better with time. Also, the style is so eclectic, there's something for almost anybody. I have friends whose musical tastes are almost polar opposites of mine, but this is one where some common ground might be found. I recommended it to them, but I'm still awaiting reply.
Cool man!  What you said is definitely why I threw this one out there.  Nice to here other hip hop fans are on this board.  Don't forget about the Crate Diggin' thread.  The new Evidence is pretty nice.

I'll be here to drop the needle at 930

ManNamedTruth

hip hop fan here so giving this a shot. I'm not sure if i'd even categorize strictly as hip hop.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Ruckus

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 19, 2011, 09:35 PM
hip hop fan here so giving this a shot. I'm not sure if i'd even categorize strictly as hip hop.
definitely not...who knows what to call it.  post hip hop/indie rock

ManNamedTruth

YimBlaylock

The actual tone of his voice took a bit of acquiring for me to get to used to, but from the start of "The River, The Woods," I was immediately blown away by this guy's flow. I've always had the problem of, unless I'm making a conscious effort to listen to the lyrics, I usually tune them out and focus more on the music than on the words (similar to "The Way that He Sings"), so when it comes to rap, flow is the main appeal for me. And this guy's got it.
It's all happening.

ManNamedTruth

This Is Our Science reminds me of TV On The Radio.

EDIT:
the song that is, just to be clear

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 19, 2011, 09:36 PM
The actual tone of his voice took a bit of acquiring for me to get to used to, but from the start of "The River, The Woods," I was immediately blown away by this guy's flow. I've always had the problem of, unless I'm making a conscious effort to listen to the lyrics, I usually tune them out and focus more on the music than on the words (similar to "The Way that He Sings"), so when it comes to rap, flow is the main appeal for me. And this guy's got it.
Couldn't agree more man, particularly when it comes to me listening to the Jacket.  With this guy though, I can't get enough of his lyrics and yeah, he can straight flow

ManNamedTruth

spotify isnt playing in correct song order, anyone know how to fix that?

Ruckus

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
spotify isnt playing in correct song order, anyone know how to fix that?
nah, you cold just go individually i guess.  thanks captain obvious.  I'll shut up.

Ruckus

The bluesy/jazzy piano in Thomas Jefferson is KILLER!

Ruckus

I couldn't tell you dear, which one whispers in my ear,
the Devil or St. Andrew... but I know its time to go.
I'm sure you've got a great theory,
if I'm hunting something or its haunting me,
I know there ain't no right way to measure the globe,

YimBlaylock

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 19, 2011, 09:42 PM

Agreed. I love this track. He's going at it so hard. For whatever reason, I get the feeling this guy is like the epitome of cool. I wouldn't necessarily like to meet the people from ALL the bands I like, cause I don't know what I'd say to them other than "Oh I'm such a fan, you're music's awesome." But this guy would be really cool to talk to, I'm almost certain of it.
It's all happening.

YimBlaylock

And then transition to the soothing piano on Measure the Globe. This album's fantastic. I'm loving it more and more just talking with you all about it.
It's all happening.

Ruckus

Quote from: YimBlaylock on Oct 19, 2011, 09:47 PM

And then transition to the soothing piano on Measure the Globe. This album's fantastic. I'm loving it more and more just talking with you all about it.
:thumbsup:

"Give me a lever, and a place to stand, and I'll move the world."
You think you're clever, but you never, seen how it really works,

^WHen he switches over to this voice in Mendeleev, it reminds me of Lyrics Born

Ruckus

Mendeleev is sick!  Periodic Table rap baby!  He switches flow and vocals so badass!

ManNamedTruth