Lay Low - recorded drum track

Started by mahg33ta, Nov 17, 2011, 09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

random thought when Lay Low showed up on shuffle this am....

Anyone know why the band uses the recorded drum track when playing Lay Low live?   I've never heard an answer for this.   Tried a forum search just now but didn't see anything (sorry if this is asked and answered)

The beat doesn't sound like something Patrick couldn't play- but maybe a drummer who knows such things could shed some light.

e_wind

I think I've read an interview where Jim talked about drum loops in general, but it was about a different song - something off Evil Urges. I think he just said it works in some places cause of the synthetic-ness of the song. I could be completely wrong. I could've made that up.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Yeah I'm trying to remember as well ewind.  I remember reading here and agreeing that the tone of beat (which wasn't a recorded Patrick beat I believe) was somehow more compatible with the idea of the song.  Also, the beat continues underneath even when Patrick comes in and adds a heavy depth during the instrumental section.

don't take my word for it
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

buster douglas

Ya, I think it just has to do with sorta, switching up the texture of the song, as I have vaguely read in an interview at some point too.

But HERE's a similar question/topic jack maybe someone could answer:
They always introduce Off The Record with the drum loop that actually plays during the outro on album.
Does anybody know if the band ever played the outro live with the drum loop from the album?

youreveningcoat

I am a drummer, and by the sound... I think it might be because the drums in the recorded loop are tuned different to the drums Patrick plays, well mainly his snare drum (because that;s the only one that is played). So i'm thinking that it's because Pat wouldn't be able to re tune his drums during the song to play the different tune.
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

ArnulfoJaghab

Well I believe that drummer should always able to  create  the mood and grave to play any song.

Mold Remediation Palm Beach

johnnYYac

Quote from: ArnulfoJaghab on Nov 18, 2011, 06:28 AM
Well I believe that drummer should always able to  create  the mood and grave to play any song.

Dude!  I was just coming to post the same thing!   :D

Spam Remediation MMJ Forum
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

lasvegas

always have, always will, hate the loops.

all of them need to diaf.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

youreveningcoat

No offence, but imo the drums would sound better how they are in the loop than Patrick playing it on his drums tuned to the rest of Lay Low

johnnYYac

Quote from: youreveningcoat on Nov 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
I am a drummer, and by the sound... I think it might be because the drums in the recorded loop are tuned different to the drums Patrick plays, well mainly his snare drum (because that;s the only one that is played). So i'm thinking that it's because Pat wouldn't be able to re tune his drums during the song to play the different tune.
Seems we have the answer to Kyle's question right here.  I didn't ever consider that drums are tuned but it makes sense.  Patrick can't have his drum tech bring him variously tuned drums or kits between songs and Lay Low would require a change mid-song. 

youreveningcoat

:) The snare drum has definitely got the wires underneath not as tight in the recording.  It sounds like it could be tuned to a deeper sound as well.

If Pat played it himself it would sound like the drums during the guitar solo, 3:11 to 3:35 on Okonokos is a good part to compare it with.

johnnYYac got my back  8)

johnnYYac

jcoyote

I asked this on the previous forum, which is gone now.  Now I have the answer to my question!!  That Nashville War Begun clip is stellar!! 

lasvegas

Quote from: jcoyote on Sep 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
I asked this on the previous forum, which is gone now.  Now I have the answer to my question!!  That Nashville War Begun clip is stellar!!

all of your questions have been answered in this, THE, previous forum.

enjoy the reading.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?