Main Menu

el camino

Started by ironmike, Nov 28, 2011, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironmike

New black keys album can be found over at musicconsortium.blogspot.com

woodnymph

That's awesome, thanks for sharing the link!!!

Pardon my threadjack, sry  :-X

Ween - El Camino

had to happen, direct orders from boognish :-X
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

kotchishm

"Mind Eraser" is just a straight banger.  No other way to describe it.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Fully

Quote from: kotchishm on Nov 28, 2011, 04:44 PM
"Mind Eraser" is just a straight banger.  No other way to describe it.
I love it! Somebody add this to the mixtape thread! Oh, I guess I could... ::)

el_chode

Side threadjack:

Do we have enough Ween songs to make a latin album yet? New thread if need be.
I'm surrounded by assholes

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on Nov 28, 2011, 08:33 PM
Side threadjack:

Do we have enough Ween songs to make a latin album yet? New thread if need be.

Would you seh so?  I would seh so...  I count 5 songs so far!!   :P

The DARK

No doubt, Gold on the Ceiling is gonna be blasting in my car all throughout 2012.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Penny Lane

i don't think it's cool to post the link on here....

but i'm loving sister and nova baby
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

oistheone

El Camino is the latest chapter in the Keys' ongoing development into a pop-rock band. But as much as I love their early "riff-in-yo-face" rock, I find their latest to be pretty enjoyable. Musical growth is key to the long term lasting power of any band or artist, and The Keys and Danger Mouse really delivered something new to the table with El Camino, a wholly different album than Brothers. But in this case, does musical change equal musical growth?

After a few listens, I found El Camino to be bursting with hooks and grungy-yet-glossy riffs, and I'm finding most tunes to be immediately catchy. The opening trifecta of "Lonely Boy", "Dead and Gone" and "Gold on the Ceiling" may be the best back-to-back-to-back punch to lead an album this year.

"Little Black Submarines" kinda leaves me floating in the water -- a little too faux-epic for my tastes, but still undeniably rocking, and is sure to be a rager in concert. 

Never thought a talkbox solo would work in 2011, but I'm glad "Money Maker" exists to prove me wrong.

"Run Right Back" wasn't happening for me the first couple times I listened to it, but blasting it in the car seemed to do the trick -- this song is propulsive, deceptively sinister and one of the outright bluesier numbers on the album.

I found "Sister" and "Hell of a Season" to be the weakest tracks on the album. Just can't get into 'em yet, and perhaps they are placed where they are within the album for a reason. I'll happily give them another shot when my vinyl copy arrives.

The record picks back up and ends with a bang though. "Stop Stop", "Nova Baby" and "Mind Eraser" may be the most outright joyous tracks the Keys have ever recorded. The bells in "Stop Stop" are brilliant.  "Nova Baby" sounds like the Keys first stab at sounding like an "indie" band, but hell, that song is so fun and the chorus so saccharine,  it's hard to be bothered that this ain't Chulahoma.

Overall, a short, but very rockin' pop detour from the Keys. This puppy is going to sell millions.

ALady

Quote from: oistheone on Nov 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
This puppy is going to sell millions.

Yep.   :-\
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

oistheone

Quote from: ALady on Nov 29, 2011, 11:22 AM

Isn't that all that matters? I think the working title of the album was "While The Iron's Hot".

;D

Penny Lane

Quote from: oistheone on Nov 29, 2011, 11:34 AM

Isn't that all that matters? I think the working title of the album was "While The Iron's Hot".

;D

i think even Dan would laugh at that ....  ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

;D

;D ;D ;D

It's not a bad record, but the songs don't seem like fully fleshed-out ideas.  I need to give it a few more spins.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

SmokinShootin

Quote from: ALady on Nov 29, 2011, 02:07 PM

;D

;D ;D ;D

It's not a bad record, but the songs don't seem like fully fleshed-out ideas.  I need to give it a few more spins.

Yeah I agree, it seems a bit rushed.  I have only listened to five songs, but theres not much that is fresh.  Definitely a lack of the blues influence that was in all the other records.

el_chode

Hands down their best album. I said it.

Everything else is just a collection of songs. This flows...not a skip, not a slow moment. Perfectly crafted.

Only beef is that while Dan's guitar work has gotten exponentially better with time, Pat seems to have flatlined in his creativity.

Either way, I love the new full band sound

bluesky

Nova Baby loud on headphones in the rain :thumbsup:

e_wind

This is good music, but it just isn't the Keys, and isn't doing it for me like Brothers, Rubber Factory, Attack and Release did...

I liked the Keys because they were "different" in the fact that they were LOUD and in your face, to the point blues rock. It was beautifully simple. This is like a new indie rock band... Brothers, imo, is their peak so far.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

el_chode

This is just the next progression from Brothers. I think it's better than Brothers in that it flows 10x better and doesn't get sludgy in the middle.

I also think it is unfair to pigeonhole a band and expect them to play within narrow confines and never develop.

oistheone

Man, am I the only one getting strong vibes of Stairway and Mary Jane's Last Dance from Little Black Submarines?

Also, who would have thought that a song that sounds like Stairway and Mary Jane's Last Dance would be called Little Black Submarines?