Main Menu

el camino

Started by ironmike, Nov 28, 2011, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

I really like Money Maker and Gold on the ceiling. I think oistheone described what's missing from it best though, it's more pop than they have been. It isn't bad, in fact, I like it. I just think it could be a slight less pop, and I would like it more. Bland isn't the right word for it. Maybe just comparing it to Brothers is the problem for me. I don't know. I've listened to it for the past three days on my way to and from work. But I notice that even though I really like it, it tends to become background music and it doesn't catch my attention the way other albums of theirs have done. Saying that, I do like the album.

ALady

I'm gonna go ahead and call it bland.  It's definitely poppier than their previous work, which is fine, but as Fully said, it just doesn't hold my attention.  I'm having real trouble getting through a full listen - other stuff just sounds more appealing and I get distracted.

I don't know what album choder is hearing...but to each their own   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bold99

Loving the 5 songs I've heard....To me they are just expanding.  I love the old stuff..in your face blues rock as much as anyone but Magic Potion is where it kind of got old...or stale and I like the direction these songs take.  I loved Brothers...but this is really showing me a lot.  Can't wait to get a good vinyl listen.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Ruckus

I've given this a full 3 spins now and I think they succeeded in what they were trying to create.  It's a fun record that will be blasting at many a high school and college party for some time but I'm not sure it resonates with me at any deeper level than just a fun, pop record.

I mean c'mon...doesn't it make you just want to run in place for 40 minutes? ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bold99

Listening to it all the way through for the first time..and I'm pretty much loving it.  This will be cranking for a long long time.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

capt. scotty

First impression of El Camino is that its a very tight and enjoyable pop rock album without much substance to it. It lacks the innovation and emotion of Brothers, and doesnt have the signature memorable blues riffs of many songs from albums prior to Brothers. That said, its a fun listen that doesnt sag in its quick runtime. It will surely get a lot of spins for me over the next month and will probably be a huge seller.

Only songs that really stood out to me besides Lonely Boy were Little Black Submarines, Sister, and Mind Eraser though....Little Black Submarines is my early favorite.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EasyRyder

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
I've given this a full 3 spins now and I think they succeeded in what they were trying to create.  It's a fun record that will be blasting at many a high school and college party for some time but I'm not sure it resonates with me at any deeper level than just a fun, pop record.

funny you say this b/c that is precisely what i did while listening to the album and treadmilling @ the gym yesterday  ;D
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

el_chode

Quote from: EasyRyder on Dec 01, 2011, 05:40 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 30, 2011, 09:48 PM

funny you say this b/c that is precisely what i did while listening to the album and treadmilling @ the gym yesterday  ;D

I just got back from doing the exact same thing. I haven't had a record I can do that with in a lonnnnng time.

Also, good lyrics are a perk that only matter when the music isn't mind-blowing (e.g. Zip City by DBTs). I never listened to the Keys for the depth of the lyrics. It's always been about the fuzz
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Quote from: ALady on Nov 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and call it bland.  It's definitely poppier than their previous work, which is fine, but as Fully said, it just doesn't hold my attention.  I'm having real trouble getting through a full listen - other stuff just sounds more appealing and I get distracted.

I don't know what album choder is hearing...but to each their own   ;)

I forget if I posted this here or in my debate on FB with Ruckus, but this is the first album by them that I think has flow. Brothers is great, but the flow gets a bit muddled in the middle. The other albums have no flow to me, just great songs that I inevitably will play on random.

This on the other hand is all flow. None of the songs pack the raw power of say Countdown or 10 AM or Set Me Free. In other words, I'm excited to get this on vinyl.

wolof7

Great album, not my favorite, definitely a gym album/ party album...Brothers was better but this album is fun and does not detract from their track record in any way....arena tour w/ the arctic monkeys? why the push? (is this move out of the kings of leon playbook or is this band actually that big?)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

kotchishm

album release concert streaming now from Webster Hall.....Everlasting Light slowedddddd dowwwnnn oh yeah!

http://t.co/KyX8fVaH

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

woodnymph

Quote from: kotchishm on Dec 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
album release concert streaming now from Webster Hall.....Everlasting Light slowedddddd dowwwnnn oh yeah!

http://t.co/KyX8fVaH

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Niiiiiiiiiice!  Thanks for posting!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

I'll Be Yo' Man  8)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

kotchishm

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 05, 2011, 09:35 PM
I'll Be Yo' Man  8)

Yes one of my favorites! So awesome!
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Paulie_Walnuts

Quote from: wolof7 on Dec 05, 2011, 08:41 PM
Great album, not my favorite, definitely a gym album/ party album...Brothers was better but this album is fun and does not detract from their track record in any way....arena tour w/ the arctic monkeys? why the push? (is this move out of the kings of leon playbook or is this band actually that big?)

Interesting that you mention the Kings Of Leon. The Keys just sold out three nights at the Alexandra Palace in London. A biggish, soulless venue with bad viewing. I didn't go for that reason. My friend went who had seen them with me when they were touring Brothers. He said the crowd reminded him of being at a Kings Of Leon concert!

I'm not saying for one minute that The Black Keys could be compared to the vile Kings Of Leon, but this is definitely a cash-in album and the marketing wheels are in motion. Every sporting montage on TV over here seems to have Lonely Boy playing behind it! I'm not criticising the Black Keys for it......after all I'd probably want the riches that are on offer.

I quite like the album, particularly the first half, but as someone said earlier it could be any number of pop rock bands. Personally, I want to hear the raw Black Keys and just the two of them. I fear that those days are over, but I think the next album will be the interesting one as to whether they will follow a similar template or throw us a curve ball. I hope it's the latter.
Paulie W

oistheone

I really like the album, and was contemplating buying tickets for a show this summer. But something just didn't seem right, and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've seen the Keys on every tour since Rubber Factory, but this will be the first one I'll skip.

I've never seen a band so visibly and proudly cashing in. There is NOTHING wrong with that, it's their job to make money off their music. But I think they may be taking it a little too far, and alienating their old fan base. Hell, I want to still love them, I'm just having a hard time quieting my inner skeptic.

I guess it just bothers me that it seems they aren't playing for the audience, but rather for the paycheck. I saw a quote last year from Dan -- when asked if he had a particular favorite show over the last crazy few years, he said "nope. Same shit, different stage." I'll never forget that.

I'll never rip anyone for liking the Keys, they make great music. But their "in it for the money, if you don't like it, go fuck yourself" attitude of the last two years is sure leaving a bad taste in this longtime fan's mouth.

kotchishm

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
I really like the album, and was contemplating buying tickets for a show this summer. But something just didn't seem right, and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've seen the Keys on every tour since Rubber Factory, but this will be the first one I'll skip.

I've never seen a band so visibly and proudly cashing in. There is NOTHING wrong with that, it's their job to make money off their music. But I think they may be taking it a little too far, and alienating their old fan base. Hell, I want to still love them, I'm just having a hard time quieting my inner skeptic.

I guess it just bothers me that it seems they aren't playing for the audience, but rather for the paycheck. I'll never rip anyone for liking the Keys, they make great music. But their "in it for the money, if you don't like it, go fuck yourself" attitude of the last two years is sure leaving a bad taste in this longtime fan's mouth.

I'm seeing them next Friday in the Verizon Center in DC.  Not sure what to expect.  I saw them in Charlottesville a few years ago and it was awesome, this will probably be different.  Christmas gift though so can't complain about a free show

oistheone

I'll be interested to hear how you think it compares to previous shows. I'm thinkin' a lot more lights. And yes, you can never complain about a free show. I'd be wanting to check out how they compare to the Keys of old if I got free tickets too, have fun!

el_chode

Keys are at the awkward stage of popularity - lots of exposure to top 40 fans and whatnot who are there for a few songs and a few songs only. Their sets aren't legendary live performances like a MMJ, Ween, or Wilco-type show, they're not a jam band like Phish, and they're not of the catalog or size of a Springsteen/Stones/DMB that can do super huge tours where it doesn't matter how close you are.

That's why I don't mind sitting them out right now. I've seen my fair share of acts on the cusp, and the quality of the show goes higher after the peak of their popularity (Incubus comes to mind...nothing was worse than when Stellar and Drive hit the airwaves and we had moms reporting us to security for moshing).

bold992006

I saw them last night and they absolutely killed.   I've seen a few of "my" bands now play arenas and that was easily the best show I've seen.  I think they do it right.  Just straight through hard hitting rock.  I think that is what you need to do at an arena show.  The new songs were amazing live.

I saw MMJ play MSG and it was a good show but for my money I'll take the Keys...and I thought the crowd was pretty great.  Def some new fans but everyone was into it..hanging on every word and every riff.

I've seen them on every tour since their first album and yes they are more popular now but I don't think it affects the music one bit.  There are points in the set when it is just the two of them playing old tunes and it was like they were playing in a club again.   Amazing.