Preservation Hall @ Carnegie Hall w/MMJ, Allen Toussaint, Del McCoury, etc...

Started by NoVa_NoLa, Nov 29, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

our br00ke (@bKwenth)

"Preservation Hall Jazz Band @ Carnegie Hall "
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

subinai

awesome show. jim came out and did st. james infirmary with phjb and trombone shorty. allen toussaint may or may not have been playing piano. can't recall. the rest of mmj came out and played wonderful the way i feel acoustic. phjb sat that one out but came back along with i think king britt to do carnival time.

all of the guests came out for the encore for when the saints go marching in. im sure i am leaving out details so somebody please fill in the blanks.

br00ke

much fun last night ... pre-show meet up was great. always such joy to see everyone's smiling faces!! the show was great and what a venue!! i'd only been once before to see trey from phish play with the philharmonic. i took friends that are fairly new to MMJ and my friend ty kept saying to me "Wonderful has to of been my favorite part of the whole show", sweet!! the whole show was really lovely though and i felt so proud for our dudes ... getting to play carnegie hall !!! i had originally been planning to go to jazz fest this year but i bailed out due to finances (going to JF is an expensive ordeal yo!). last night put a little extra cajun in my step and i'm gonna see if i can't make the trip a go. the 1st time i went (the last one before the hurricane), i vowed to go back every year and katrina sorta messed that up for me and i never did make it back for a JF. it's time!!

no great pix as we went for the cheap seats on this venture. one thing i did like about my seats is that i had the rare opportunity to stand up (carnegie isn't exactly a stand up venue and to be honest i get dizzy up top, whew!) and so i did that and danced  :thumbsup:

encore when all musicians and dancers came out. after everyone left the stage PHJB came and played one more on their own .. when the saints go marching in. there were some folks down front with little second line umbrellas and i remembered that i actually did have a white handkerchief so i got that out just a waving and dancing. good times!

oh and tommy played a standup bass and all the dudes were looking spiff'errific of course :)

valerie / bluesky & i having a post-show drink with birthday boy ericm 

SnowRock

Sub and br00ke capture it.. the Pres Hall fellas have a real love/respect of Jim and the boys you can see on stage. Just an amazing night of music and vibes with an all star lineup. With the way the show was structured I was really surprised/happy with the Wonderful interlude. Patrick had a smile on his face the entire time. And Carnegie Hall?? Just a great setting. Seeing Ed Helms aka Andy Bernard playin banjo with the McCourys was pretty interesting.

Pres Hall will be doing this a second time at Jazz Fest to close out Sunday second weekend.. a spot the Radiators used to have. If you have never been, I can't think of a better year to go, its such a blast.

Now the important question is... who is going to be able to get me some tix to the late night show featuring Jim and PHJB at PHall??? You know it is happening

Here is a link to some relatively crappy phone pics... given it was Carnegie we didn't bring a camera but now wish i did.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58669798@N00/sets/72157628776370749/

Ben and Jim

bluesky

Last night was a such a Fantastic show!!!! I have been to a few different things at Carnegie Hall, including a rock benefit for RED. But PHJB sure did shake off the dust there last night!!!

All guest were great and MMJ came out in the second half of the show. They did St James Infirmary, Jim signing the first version and then Clint Maedgen from PHJB signing the second up tempo version. MMJ preformed  an acoustic Wonderful. It really highlighted Bo near the end, beautiful! This they did without PHJB, which I think was the only time in the evening they did not play, they stood near the back of the stage and you could see Ben Jaffe getting his photo taken on a smart phone from one of the other band mates with all of the Hall and audience in the background. PHJB came back up to join the boys for Carnival Time.

Oh there were these dancers that preformed during different songs, they really added to the New Orleans flavor and when they came out maybe 3rd song in of the night they really were an unexpected surprise. I could see Brooke up a level dancing along the whole night. Carnegie Hall has probably never been more lively with everyone stomping and clapping along last night!

bluesky

Quote from: subinai on Jan 08, 2012, 12:33 AM
awesome show. jim came out and did st. james infirmary with phjb and trombone shorty. allen toussaint may or may not have been playing piano. can't recall. the rest of mmj came out and played wonderful the way i feel acoustic. phjb sat that one out but came back along with i think king britt to do carnival time.

all of the guests came out for the encore for when the saints go marching in. im sure i am leaving out details so somebody please fill in the blanks.

Pres Hall played "I'll Fly Away" with everyone on stage in the end. Then came back with an encore of "When the Saints come Marching In' which was just them . Lovely way to end the evening!

br00ke

Quote from: SnowRock on Jan 08, 2012, 10:25 AM
just them and some of the youngins!

oh right! that was pretty awesome .. those kids must be SO STOKED !!!

SnowRock

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 08, 2012, 10:30 AM
oh right! that was pretty awesome .. those kids must be SO STOKED !!!
Can't even imagine!

I also just uploaded some video of the two versions of St James.. its short because I couldn't keep my hands still for very long.

Fully

It looks like you all had a great evening! I'm so happy that you got to see such a show.

bluesky

subinai

Quote from: bluesky on Jan 08, 2012, 10:20 AM
Quote from: subinai on Jan 08, 2012, 12:33 AM

Pres Hall played "I'll Fly Away" with everyone on stage in the end. Then came back with an encore of "When the Saints come Marching In' which was just them . Lovely way to end the evening!

excellent thank you!

subinai

subinai

thanks brooke. do you know the artist? i saw somebody carrying one on the subway after the show and it looked a lot larger than most gig posters.

headhunter

Great reviews and pix gang. Sorry we couldn't make this one but I'm smiling reading all of this and am so glad ya'll had such a good time at that sacred place!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

tdb810

What a fantastic and joyous evening at Carnegie Hall.  We had primo seats, and really enjoyed going up and checking out the stage and all of the memorabilia in the Museum/Cafe area.  I had only been there once before, during college, and didn't have an appreciation for the unbelievable acoustics back then.  Whoa, the sound was tremendous.

We truly enjoyed each and every portion of the show, and here are some highlights:

-PHJB - just all of them in their glory - from Preservation Hall to Carnegie Hall.
-Ben Jaffe's emcee skills.  It was really nice to hear him talk about the history of PHJB, and it was super cool when his Mom came out, later in the evening.  I was also really touched when he spoke about the key part that the city of NY and Danny Clinch played in their coming back from the brink of collapse following Katrina.  It was so touching.

-The GIVERS sounded terrific, and I thought the lead singers voice was so rich.
-Ed Helms doing a little shtick and picking the banjo.
--Trombone Shorty and MOS DEF.
--the Dancers.
--TAO Seegers goofy dance.
--JIM JIM JIM -- all golden haired and beautiful and wearing NEW THREADS!
--BO in Wonderful
--Patrick, just being Patrick
--Steve Earle
--The finale and the 70ish couople in frnt of us breaking out their mini fleur-de-lis umbrellas charging the stage :)

A really incredibly unique evening, that has me SO bummed that we are missing Jazz Fest for yet another yeaer. 

LONG LIVE NOLA!
.....Back at the Model Home

deathstick

Quote from: subinai on Jan 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
thanks brooke. do you know the artist? i saw somebody carrying one on the subway after the show and it looked a lot larger than most gig posters.

Dunno who the artist was, but it was $125, and a HUGE poster!

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home