Started by jones, Dec 08, 2011, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zanjam

anything + reverb always = better

jones

Quote from: zanjam on Dec 09, 2011, 05:55 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 09, 2011, 10:57 AM
Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 10:49 AM
That new Dr. Dog album can't come soon enough.

So true.

yeah, when is that??
2/7/2012.

The pre-sale is available now.

jones

Quote from: el_chode on Dec 09, 2011, 05:42 PM
Waiting for Dr. Dog to drop as well.

What kind of psychedelic shit you looking for? Proggish/metal or garage-blues?
Man, I'm not good at this sub-genre name game stuff.  If it helps, Dr. Dog is currently my favorite gig.  I like the throw-back feel that they have with the multi-part harmonies.  I've listened to The Bees, but probably not enough to let it soak in.

jones

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.  Fortunately, my free Spotify account will allow me to check into them all!

Tracy, I had heard "Carry Me, Ohio" a few times before.  It's a spine chiller.  I'll check out the rest this weekend.

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 07:55 PM

Man, I'm not good at this sub-genre name game stuff.  If it helps, Dr. Dog is currently my favorite gig.  I like the throw-back feel that they have with the multi-part harmonies.  I've listened to The Bees, but probably not enough to let it soak in.

Have you checked out the Futurebirds yet?

Northern Neighbour

I created a playlist (17 songs) on 8tracks.com.  Here's the link: http://8tracks.com/tsss/kffl-treat

To El Chode's dismay, it does include songs by Foster the People and PBJ.

mjk73

What is a PBJ and a Foster The Pond?

Fully

Today on amazon there's a Steve Cropper album on sale. Steve was one of the inhouse musicians at Stax in Memphis. He was also in Booker T and the MGs. He wrote "Sitting on the Dock (of the Bay)" and several other songs I'm sure you are familiar with. I'm having a Stax attack lately. I went down to Memphis right before Thanksgiving and toured the museum that they've built at the studios. If you ever get a chance to go, it's pretty awesome, better than Sun Records IMO. Here's the link if you are interested.

jones

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Dec 10, 2011, 09:08 AM
I created a playlist (17 songs) on 8tracks.com.  Here's the link: http://8tracks.com/tsss/kffl-treat

Thanks, listening now.  I see the first song is TV On The Radio.  I have Return To Cookie Mountain (love it) and Dear Science (it's decent), but I never did buy Nine Types Of Light for some reason.

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: jones on Dec 10, 2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks, listening now.  I see the first song is TV On The Radio.  I have Return To Cookie Mountain (love it) and Dear Science (it's decent), but I never did buy Nine Types Of Light for some reason.

If you get "Nine Types of Light", but the extended version.  The first track of my mix is from that edition.

I think "Dear, Science" is a great album.  IMO, it's TV on the Radio's best record to date.

I'll be making a playlist probably every month.  I generally create massive playlists (65 to 75 songs) every two to three months, so I'll break them down in manageable sizes for 8tracks.

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
What is a PBJ and a Foster The Pond?

PBJ - Peter Bjorn and John, a Swedish indie rock band that had two hits a couple of years ago.

Foster the People is an LA band that specializes in catchy pop tunes.  One of their songs is used in a Nissan commercial.

Ruckus

You're depressing me jonesy.  So like jt asked, Futurebirds don't do it for ya?  They got the old timey, multi part harmonies going if on the twangy side.

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: jones on Dec 10, 2011, 10:17 AM

9ToL is not near as good as any of TVOTR's previous albums. It has a few good songs, but for the most part the hooks arent there and half the album sounds like songs that didnt make the cut for Dear Science (and for good reason). Now, I think Desperate Youth Bloodthirsty Babes is great, and Cooke Mountain and DS were arguably the best albums of their respective years, so I dont think 9 Types is bad, it just isnt near as good as the precedent they set with their previous albums, IMO
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

Quote from: jones on Dec 09, 2011, 07:55 PM

I just ask because there's proggish metalish stuff that has been mentioned and is very popular round these parts, anything from Tame Impala to more straight forward Howlin' Rain (and arboretum, thanks Ruckus)

Then there's the stuff that comes down from Rolling Stonesy-style psychedelia, that's basically an amalgamation of Motown and Detroit Rock. Bands like that I"ve found through people here are Sheepdogs and I'd say even some Deer Tick.

If you're in a  Dr. Dog mood and want a whole shitload of stuff from the 60s and 70s to rediscover, check out the Rubble Collection

Choice Cuts:

Executive Tracy took a trip
Wimple Winch - Save My Soul
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

Ob1jacobe

Not sure if it has been thrown out but The Walkmen are one of my top 5 bands.  Listen to "Lisbon", "Bows & Arrows" or "You and Me".