The Horrors: Skying

Started by mahg33ta, Dec 22, 2011, 11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I'm very much enjoying all the best/worst album talk.

I asked my sis-in-law's sister, who's in the music business (and who deserves the credit for placing Victory Dance in House), what her favorite album of the year was.   Usually she names something too hip for me to even have heard of, but this year I listened to a lot of music and was ready to finally impress with my recognition of her choice.   But, she named.. something too hip for me to even have heard of again!

Her favorite album is The Horrors:  Skying.   So I'm going to check it out and see what I think.   We don't have perfect similarities in taste in music but she rarely steers me wrong.

What I find interesting is that there's no chatter here either- so is this a real curveball? (although I see ALady - OF COURSE- went and saw them this year).

On this list of top 50 albums, they come in at #2- but it's not an obscure list as most of the others listed I have heard or heard of.    So what's the deal?

Anyone familiar and have comments?   If not I will report back in a few days.

http://stereogum.com/894362/mojos-top-50-albums-of-2011/list

dragonboy

They're popular in the UK - No2 on Mojo's best of 2011 list & 6 in Uncut. They've been on my 'bands to check out' list for a while...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

el_chode

This is one of those bands I heard a ton about from various authors in various blogs/magazines, much like arctic monkeys, then when I heard the band it sounded like a million other bands doing the same thing I've heard a million times before.
I'm surrounded by assholes

MrWhippy

I'm a big fan of The Horrors.  I originally had Skying on my top 5 albums list posted here, but PJ Harvey's record edged it out at the last minute.  I think Skying is the best of their three records.

If you have a soft spot for shoegaze or britpop, they will scratch that itch to some degree.  The singer has a great Jim Morrison-esque voice, and the new record is full of great melodies.

I've seen them live twice (in 2009 and 2011) and they were great both times.  The 2009 set much more raw than the 2011 set. 

My favorite songs on Skying are probably Dive In and Moving Further Away.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mjk73

How the hell have I not mentioned these guys? Uhh, yeah they are good. I haven't heard this album however. Also, one of the guitarists for the Vaccines is the brother to one of the guys in the Horrors. Random fact

MrWhippy

Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 22, 2011, 04:06 PM
How the hell have I not mentioned these guys? Uhh, yeah they are good. I haven't heard this album however. Also, one of the guitarists for the Vaccines is the brother to one of the guys in the Horrors. Random fact

They changed their sound quite a bit from the first to the second record.  If you like the direction they went on the second record, you will probably really like Skying as well.

mjk73

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 23, 2011, 07:04 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Dec 22, 2011, 04:06 PM

They changed their sound quite a bit from the first to the second record.  If you like the direction they went on the second record, you will probably really like Skying as well.
Excellent. I thought Primary Colours was fantastic.

dmooney99

new album, Luminous, out May 5 (UK), May 6 (US)  :thumbsup:

and new song out now  :smiley:

The Horrors - 'I See You' (Official Lyric Video)

MrWhippy

Awesome!  Very psyched for a new Horrors album.

They have one US date right now at Austin Psych Fest in late April, so I bet we will see other US dates around that time.