Main Menu

Country Mice

Started by Cameron, Jan 19, 2012, 11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

Heard about these guys from Parker Gispert of The Whigs.  Really digging the album.  It's called Twister and it's on itunes.  Check it!

They have a daytrotter session if you're on there too.

Ruckus

Thanks Cameron.  I can dig on this.  Definitely got a fuzz/americana sound and solid songwriting that a particular band that I enjoy used to have. :thumbsup:

Clover - Country Mice

Country Mice - Morning Son

Will be ordering Twister on vinyl soon
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Cameron

aMillionDreams

I'll definitely check them out.  I still listen to that mix you made me years ago.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

sweatboard

thanks Cameron.  I love this record
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the record.  Hope it sticks with me. Upon first listen, Twister struck me as some incomplete merging of country/folk/americana with 90's alternative and though not necessarily similar in sound, reminded me of the disjointed awesomeness of Deer Tick's War Elephant combining folk/americana with a grunge(y) style.

When I looked 'em up, it made sense all the band members came from rural areas but met in Brooklyn.  I hope they don't figure out a singular "identity" because this album is really, really good being scattered.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
Upon first listen, Twister struck me as some incomplete merging of country/folk/americana with 90's alternative and though not necessarily similar in sound, reminded me of the disjointed awesomeness of Deer Tick's War Elephant combining folk/americana with a grunge(y) style.

Based on this... I'm going to need to hear this album ASAP.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Northern Neighbour

Me, too.  Sounds pretty good.

sweatboard

They remind me alot of Dead Confederate.  I love that first Dead Confederate album but what the hell happened on thier second one (Sugar)....They don't even sound like the same band, did they lose their lead guitarist or something?

bold992006

Quote from: sweatboard on Jan 26, 2012, 03:03 PM

They remind me alot of Dead Confederate.  I love that first Dead Confederate album but what the hell happened on thier second one (Sugar)....They don't even sound like the same band, did they lose their lead guitarist or something?

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  I loved their first one....I haven't given the 2nd one a ton of listens but I didn't do it for me...and it even had J Mascis on a track who I love.  Their set at Hangout slayed last year though.

Ruckus

Quote from: bold992006 on Jan 27, 2012, 10:24 AM

I was kind of wondering the same thing.  I loved their first one....I haven't given the 2nd one a ton of listens but I didn't do it for me...and it even had J Mascis on a track who I love.  Their set at Hangout slayed last year though.
I agree about the Hangout set.  It was killer and the loudness early in the day kicked my ass in gear.  They sounded rather underwhelming the other two times I saw them in the past year.  Probably because I was trying to get my drink on NYE before the Business came on.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I listened to this album for the first time yesterday and once this morning. It sounds like what "War Elephant" might have sounded like had Dead Confederate released it. That being said... I really like it so far.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

jones

I'm on board.  This is good stuff.

Northern Neighbour

My favourite tune is "Rabbit on a Leash".

sweatboard

I would put these guys up there as my next band I HAVE TO SEE!  I might like the first record better than Twister, which is high praise.  Transmissions, it's amazing.

sweatboard

As far as Dead Confederate

yeah, I've heard them do On The Beach and The Diamond Sea....Sonic Youth and Neil Young and they slayed them both....one more reason why I'm so bewildered by the new record....they are just better than that.  How can you have the power to cover two of my favorite songs ever and then water yourself down for an album that makes me wonder why I gave a shit about you in the first place.  I just don't get it.  Then again, I don't really get the direction MMJ has gone in these days either. 

sweatboard

Neil Young made a great point when he said "how is it that all these things around us have evolved and our music sounds worse today than ever" 

MMJ just needs to go back to the farm.

Penny Lane

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 02, 2012, 03:09 AM

yeah, I've heard them do On The Beach and The Diamond Sea....Sonic Youth and Neil Young and they slayed them both....one more reason why I'm so bewildered by the new record....they are just better than that.  How can you have the power to cover two of my favorite songs ever and then water yourself down for an album that makes me wonder why I gave a shit about you in the first place.  I just don't get it.  Then again, I don't really get the direction MMJ has gone in these days either.

they also remind me of Dead Confederate--
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold992006

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 02, 2012, 03:09 AM

completely agree....MMJ has lost me on the last two albums.  I hope the next Dead Confederate album is a nice comeback.

Ruckus

I can't stop listening to this album