Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Interesting article on Mr White....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1
Yeah, Kate and I were discussing that article this weekend.  She came away disliking him even more as she already perceived him as a chronically self absorbed individual.  I'm not as bothered just because I figure most that are in the performing arts are.

Just to confirm for Fully, the vinyl sounds wonderful!

She's probably onto something there, but that's also what I took away from reading that Neil Young biography. Both Neil and Jack seemt to be incredibly intense, passionate, creative types who don't always get along with others. For Neil at least, the music always comes first, before anything. Sounds like it is a similar situation with Jack... his way or the highway.

That being said, "his way" has proven to be pretty awesome.

I read that and had similar feelings about him. His comments about monogamy and docking the worker $50 for not being dressed appropriately made me think that I would neither want to date him or work for him. He's definitely not someone I would describe as  down-to-earth. However, to focus on his vision and produce the caliber of work he unleashes probably requires someone with these qualities. I don't think he would be a fun person to hang out with though.

oistheone

I'd take everything said in that article with a couple shakers-worth of salt. You never know if what Jack says is self-mythologizing BS or if its the truth, and that seems to be what keeps the public interested. That and great tunes.

Jaimoe

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Interesting article on Mr White....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1
Yeah, Kate and I were discussing that article this weekend.  She came away disliking him even more as she already perceived him as a chronically self absorbed individual.  I'm not as bothered just because I figure most that are in the performing arts are.

Just to confirm for Fully, the vinyl sounds wonderful!

She's probably onto something there, but that's also what I took away from reading that Neil Young biography. Both Neil and Jack seemt to be incredibly intense, passionate, creative types who don't always get along with others. For Neil at least, the music always comes first, before anything. Sounds like it is a similar situation with Jack... his way or the highway.

That being said, "his way" has proven to be pretty awesome.

Artists tend to come off as self-absorbed since they are generally answering questions about themselves. I find Jack very intense and honest, but he may come off to some as disingenuous, which I think is a mistake. Sure he's arrogant and confident, but he's also a bona fide rock star and one of the most gifted - and interesting - musicians of his generation.

Jaimoe

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'd take everything said in that article with a couple shakers-worth of salt. You never know if what Jack says is self-mythologizing BS or if its the truth, and that seems to be what keeps the public interested. That and great tunes.

And the bottom line is that most of our rock/music heroes are probably difficult; many are assholes too. I don't care. It's all about the music.

oistheone

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 23, 2012, 03:41 PM

And the bottom line is that most of our rock/music heroes are probably difficult; many are assholes too. I don't care. It's all about the music.

Bingo!

Plus, as MMJ fans, we're also incredibly spoiled to have our favorite artists not only make amazing music, but be some of the nicest people on the planet. They don't all come like that folks!

Jaimoe

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 23, 2012, 03:45 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 23, 2012, 03:41 PM

Bingo!

Plus, as MMJ fans, we're also incredibly spoiled to have our favorite artists not only make amazing music, but be some of the nicest people on the planet. They don't all come like that folks!

We all know Dylan is difficult. You think Lou Reed would be cool to have a beer with? Think again. What about Townshend? I've heard he's nice, but we've all seen or read interviews with him where he comes off as a pompous jerk. Hendrix was very intense. Eddie Van Halen is a noted prick. I'd love to strangle Morrissey. Mile Davis was in his own world. Charles Mingus pulled guns on his band. You couldn't quit Albert King's band or he'd kill you. Elvis? Jerry Lee Lewis? C'mon folks, these artists are "out there", but we still love 'em because its all about the fucking music... and I thank the heavens musicians aren't all Joan Baezs.

Penny Lane

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
It's easy to see how people could be put off by Jack's schtick, but those people are missing out on some damn good music! Glad you guys are giving him another chance.

i also feel like people give him a pass---i probably love half the stuff he's done and the other half is unlistenable...but because it's Jack White, he could record screechy tires and clank forks together and people would eat it up...(feel the same about Thom Yorke to some extent)..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
It's easy to see how people could be put off by Jack's schtick, but those people are missing out on some damn good music! Glad you guys are giving him another chance.

i also feel like people give him a pass---i probably love half the stuff he's done and the other half is unlistenable...but because it's Jack White, he could record screechy tires and clank forks together and people would eat it up...(feel the same about Thom Yorke to some extent)..

I think you just explained The Raconteurs, Penny.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Fully on Apr 23, 2012, 04:25 PM

I think you just explained The Raconteurs, Penny.

ha ha..funny thing is i really LIKED the Raconteurs! they were named one of the worst acts last week or so, right?

i'll take Dan Auerbach over Jack White any day (not that they're in competition--i just think everything he does is stellar so i get the worship)

EasyRyder

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/13/150593292/jack-white-how-i-made-blunderbuss

Shit, I'd hang out with him...  ;)

P.S. sounds like he really pulled a Dylan on this one w/ regard to how he recorded and made decisions about the album.

P.P.S. Jack White is "scared of white male hipsters." 
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

capt. scotty

I think this is a pretty good point. I personally think the Dead Weather stuff is garbage-meh territory for the most part, but I know others (here and elsewhere) love it. I think the Raconteurs albums are good enough, but considering the sound and JW was involved, they arent quite as good as expected. And while I like them, its probably been 3 years or so since I spun either so thats a testament in itself.

....Really like the new album so far. I think its hands down the best JW-associated album outside of TWS albums to date. To figure out how good, its needs a few more listens so the lyrics can sink in.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

The Raconteurs are every bit as much Brendan Benson's band, so if you don't like 'em, don't put their sound all on Jack's shoulders. Benson is the British Invasion and power-pop side that pretty much dominates both albums. I like it all, especially the Dead Weather (of the JW side projects).

bold992006

yeah the only thing I think he's got a pass for is the Rac's.  that is by far his worst band.  Pretty much everything else he's been involved in is pretty stellar.

I think he's very much like Dylan.  Their is a mythology about him...you can't take everything he says or does at face value...but he always keeps it interesting and he's unpredictable.  That is what I love most about him.

Penny Lane

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 24, 2012, 03:57 AM

I think this is a pretty good point. I personally think the Dead Weather stuff is garbage-meh territory for the most part, but I know others (here and elsewhere) love it. I think the Raconteurs albums are good enough, but considering the sound and JW was involved, they arent quite as good as expected. And while I like them, its probably been 3 years or so since I spun either so thats a testament in itself.

....Really like the new album so far. I think its hands down the best JW-associated album outside of TWS albums to date. To figure out how good, its needs a few more listens so the lyrics can sink in.

agreed..the new album is great...i never liked The Dead Weather but then again, little too rough for me and like Jaimoe said, Racont are power-pop, which i like, so of course i'm gonna like it..

Penny Lane

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 24, 2012, 07:20 AM

yeah the only thing I think he's got a pass for is the Rac's.  that is by far his worst band.  Pretty much everything else he's been involved in is pretty stellar.

I think he's very much like Dylan.  Their is a mythology about him...you can't take everything he says or does at face value...but he always keeps it interesting and he's unpredictable.  That is what I love most about him.

i think Jack creates that mythology whereas Dylan never went out of his way to do that...although as times were changing, i guess Dylan didn't have to...his ideas were bold and revolutionary..Jack def marches to his own beat and does what he wants but there's a bit of manufactured mystique there in my opinion.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 24, 2012, 07:20 AM

i think Jack creates that mythology whereas Dylan never went out of his way to do that...although as times were changing, i guess Dylan didn't have to...his ideas were bold and revolutionary..Jack def marches to his own beat and does what he wants but there's a bit of manufactured mystique there in my opinion.

I tend to agree, although chalk some of this up to this being a different/modern era with all the trappings. Jack's whole look with the White Stripes was by design - as we know, inspired greatly by upholstery and furniture. His love of Dylan, country, folk, punk and the blues is genuine. You can't fake any of it (especially blues), although many have tried and failed. We're lucky to have Jim James and Jack out there making music.

jimsflyingv

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
We're lucky to have Jim James and Jack out there making music.
Jim James, Jack White and Dan Auerbach !!!!!!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:52 AM

agreed..the new album is great...i never liked The Dead Weather but then again, little too rough for me and like Jaimoe said, Racont are power-pop, which i like, so of course i'm gonna like it..

Raconteurs > Dead Weather
I would never call Raconteurs power pop, maybe a few of the more popular songs that's it. I viewed them more as a contemporary classic rock band. If you only heard the songs on the radio without hearing the whole albums it's really a disservice to call them power pop.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

zanjam

Agreed on Dead Weather, but still saw them live 3x b/c the show was just incredible.  Didn't really do it for my ears, but I was all about the JW/Alison Mosshart experience.  Really wild.  But I love love love the Raconteurs and I just don't get how everyone else doesn't?

Anyhoo, listening to Blunderbuss right now and so far so good.  Can't wait to see JW at Outsidelands in Aug. 
anything + reverb always = better

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:52 AM

Raconteurs > Dead Weather
I would never call Raconteurs power pop, maybe a few of the more popular songs that's it. I viewed them more as a contemporary classic rock band. If you only heard the songs on the radio without hearing the whole albums it's really a disservice to call them power pop.

The second album is cleary more rooted in classic rock. The first has more of a British Invasion vibe going on, which in turn inspired power pop. I know Benson and the dudes from The Greenhornes love the Kinks, Who etc... and you can hear it in their hooky pop songs (check out Benson's solo stuff). Power pop isn't meant as a slight since I think its one of the greatest unsung and exciting genres. What the Raconteurs were doing I think was doing pop their own way while throwing in a whole bunch of other influences.