Newport Folk Festival 2012: July 28 & July 29

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 02, 2012, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

ps with Forecastle lineup coming around the same time, what a week!

bold992006

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
The lineup is being released next Wed night at a party in Cambridge.   Info on their facebook page.

I saw on another thread that Bold99 is going.   I have 2 tix also and hope to be there if I can juggle around some work stuff.   If not I hope he gives us live updates!!

Lineup to be released midnight 3/1.   I can't see YY not on it, but wonder if it will be solo, MoF, or New Multitudes.

I will be there....I'm pretty excited.  I got on the guest list.  I think my friend Steve is doing the lineup release video again this year so I may even get on it....a few of my friends were on it last year.

I think he will be there...probably with New Multitudes..maybe solo.  excited to see who else is there.

mahg33ta

Quote from: bold992006 on Feb 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
The lineup is being released next Wed night at a party in Cambridge.   Info on their facebook page.

I saw on another thread that Bold99 is going.   I have 2 tix also and hope to be there if I can juggle around some work stuff.   If not I hope he gives us live updates!!

Lineup to be released midnight 3/1.   I can't see YY not on it, but wonder if it will be solo, MoF, or New Multitudes.

I will be there....I'm pretty excited.  I got on the guest list.  I think my friend Steve is doing the lineup release video again this year so I may even get on it....a few of my friends were on it last year.

I think he will be there...probably with New Multitudes..maybe solo.  excited to see who else is there.

Looks like I am making this.   See you there! (I'll have deer tick shirt and orioles hat on)

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

Can't check the stream from my phone. If anyone's inspired, would love a list with the line up. So excited MMJ will be there!

headhunter

Yippee!!!! More money to spend on festivals! (as if Jazz Fest and Forecastle isn't enough).

If my wife doesn't divorce me after all this traveling for shows & music, I'll be in good shape.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

My Morning Jacket
Jackson Brown
Conor Oberst
New Multitudes
Carl Broemel
Ben Sollee
Sara Watkins
Punch Brothers
Guthrie Family Reunion
Patty Griffin
Iron and Wine
The Head and The Heart
Dawes
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Deer Tick
City and Colour
The Tallest Man on Earth
TuneYards
Tom Morello
Trampled by Turtles
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.
Of Monsters and Men
Blind Pilot
First Aid Kit
Sharon Van Etten
Charles Bradley
Brown Bird
Johnny Corndawg
Jonathan Wilson
Spirit Family Reunion
Frank Fairfield
Robert Ellis
Kossoy Sisters
Berklee City Music Choir
Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Honey Honey
Joe Fletcher
Joel Rafael
Spider John Koerner
Apache Relay
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
Christ on a cracker.

Sweet mother of *&($% July 2012 is going down as best month of music ever

headhunter

was some shakin' and some record playin'

mahg33ta

sorry to repost basically with nothing new to say, but i am absolutely floored.    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lineup.    I was supposed to be at the party but was on the train somewhere between providence and boston (thank you amtrak and bad weather) when this went down.   This made my day.

Bands I am STOKED to see in bold (and the rest not bolded mostly because I'm just not familiar)

My Morning Jacket
Jackson Brown
Conor Oberst
New Multitudes
Carl Broemel
Ben Sollee

Sara Watkins
Punch Brothers
Guthrie Family Reunion
Patty Griffin
Iron and Wine
The Head and The Heart
Dawes
Deer Tick

City and Colour
The Tallest Man on Earth
TuneYards
Tom Morello
Trampled by Turtles
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.

Of Monsters and Men
Blind Pilot
First Aid Kit
Sharon Van Etten
Charles Bradley
Brown Bird
Johnny Corndawg

Jonathan Wilson
Spirit Family Reunion
Frank Fairfield
Robert Ellis
Kossoy Sisters
Berklee City Music Choir
Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Honey Honey
Joe Fletcher
Joel Rafael
Spider John Koerner
Apache Relay

That's pretty much the best hit/miss ratio ever.   Booking hotel now.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
Christ on a cracker.

Newport is just so damn expensive...
and they only sell beer on one pier (raise your hand if you're a lush!)..
but I heard these after parties/shows are going to be insane...
Jim will play on seven different stages in one day---I could follow him around but that would REALLY violate the restraining order..

SHEEEOOOOOTTTTTT what's a gal to do...

edited--mahgeeta! just got my first Joe Fletcher shirt, too!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
Christ on a cracker.

And here I was thinking as the lineup was announced how mahg33ta probably had a raging train boner even 3 bottles of wine couldn't contain
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mahg33ta

I just read bold99's lineup party summary on the other thread and my raging train boner resurfaced.

MrWhippy

Holy hell what a lineup.  Must attend. 

Does anyone know if Newport tends to sell out quickly, or is it likely safe to wait a few days on tix whily I pull the trip together?
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
I just read bold99's lineup party summary on the other thread and my raging train boner resurfaced.

Now that is an image that will be stuck in my head for awhile....

:bath:

OK, now it's gone.

Also, I'd really like to go to this, but I should probably take my family on a vacation instead or get a divorce and have my children hate me forever. Yeah, I guess I'll do the family vacation thing. (weeping into my pillow because I really want to go to this)

wolof7

HOLY SHIITTTTTTTT!!!!! This totally makes up for not being able to make Forecastle for me!

Purchased my 2 day-tix for me and mine!

Sat:
MMJ
Iron and Wine
Dawes
Deer Tick
Blind Pilot
Alabama Shakes
Johnny Corndawg
Brown Bird

Sun:
Jackson Browne
Head and the Heart
Tallest Man on Earth
Charles Bradley and his Extraordinaires
Gary Clark Jr.
New Multitudes
Tune-Yards
CARL FREAKING BROEMEL!!!!
Ben Sollee
Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons

what a lineup!

EDIT: HA I wrote my post before seeing the Animal House clip and that was my exact reaction and Belushi came to my mind....this board literally knows what I'm thinking before I even think it!!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
HOLY SHIITTTTTTTT!!!!! This totally makes up for not being able to make Forecastle for me!

Honestly (and this may be met with scorn) but if I could only do one festival I would choose Newport over Forecastle based on the lineups and my musical tastes.

wolof7

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 01, 2012, 06:55 AM
Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 01, 2012, 06:41 AM

Honestly (and this may be met with scorn) but if I could only do one festival I would choose Newport over Forecastle based on the lineups and my musical tastes.

I'm totally with you g33ta, in comparison, the only band I'd miss is Wilco and most likely MMJ will play a shorter set at Newport.....I have successfully avoided seeing Wilco my whole life and it continues through this summer, for absolutely no reason at all, I love Wilco, always have! Same with the Black Keys (but feel like i missed my opportunity with them now that they are playing stadiums) but I digress.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee