Forecastle: Other (non-MMJ) bands

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 29, 2012, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I thought it would make sense to start another thread about the bands at Forecastle.   There are a TON of bands listed, many of which are unfamiliar to me and I'm guessing many others.   With plenty of time till July 13-15, I'd love to explore some new music and see what's in store for us.

So, if anyone wants to write up a post about a band performing, please do.   I will start

Nerves Junior
Louisville band, playing Friday

from wiki:
The group Nerves Junior formed in 2009 sharing a love for fringe garage rock and pop. Their music has been described as expansive, eclectic, experimental psychedelic rock. The band has garnered comparisons to Radiohead with "effects-heavy lead guitar and the adventurous electronic beats".

sounds pretty promising.

They have a single album out.   Has met quite a bit of critical praise. For ex:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/09/album-review-nerves-junior-as-bright-as-your-night-light/
http://prettymuchamazing.com/reviews/albumreviews/asbrightasyournightlight which gives the album an A+ and downright raves, calling it a masterpiece.

Can be streamed here:
http://www.myoldkentuckyblog.com/?p=23374

BH

Great idea.  I'm also very interested in other forum members selling me on some other lesser known bands.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

Well, without Grace Potter to grace the stage, the next eye candy award goes to Sleigh Bells.  I liked their first performance on SNL last week and have both their albums. 

Fun as hell to listen to cranked loud with solid subs.  My kids like it too but the videos seem inappropriate for little kids.  Case in point:

Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars

http://reignofterror.tv/

I'm reminded of Toni Basil and Adam and the Ants with the drums and guitar. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kotchishm

Houndmouth. Bio: Houndmouth is a collaborative folk/rock band from the lowland plains and farmlands of Indiana and Kentucky. Their poetry emphasizes foolhardiness, and their soulful harmonies carry far. Once a folk duo, Katie Toupin and Matt Myers (of the Saint James Hotel) joined up with Shane Cody (of Riffraff Revival) and Zak Appleby to create a colossal electric sound with bouncy half-time beats, punchy guitar riffs, and a bit of facial hair.

Not sure they have a full length album yet, they have a few videos of songs online though.  They remind me a little of the Band at some points.

Krampus

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

headhunter

I'm pretty psyched for Justin Townes Earle (and of course Wilco).
Saw JTE last year and have his past couple of lps and some 45s.
He should be a great fit for the Festival.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

el_chode

I like the Houndmouth I've heard. Ms. Mize as well. The Cabin song on Spotify is beyond awesome. And of course Wax Fang.

I'm pretty psyched for Washed Out. It's what it sounds like - chilled out electronic stuff.

Not liking: any of that dubstep crap on the Spotify list. None of it has any appeal to me. I tried. It is like overly-hopped beer - style over substance, and too much of it.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Also I fought listening to Jeff the Brotherhood because that is an awful band name, but I can't fight it anymore.

Ruckus

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Also I fought listening to Jeff the Brotherhood because that is an awful band name, but I can't fight it anymore.
Heavy Days is incredible!  I'm so stoked for them.  The only time I had tix to see them, the show was washed out by Irene.  Not this time!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

Where have I heard charles bradley's world on fire before?

e_wind

Cabin is incredible. Best Louisville band around right now. Better than Wax Fang, IMO.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

MikeR1390

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 01, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cabin is incredible. Best Louisville band around right now. Better than Wax Fang, IMO.

I agree completely. They kill it.

For those who haven't been blown away by there music, you can listen to both complete albums here: http://music.cabinwebsite.com/

kotchishm

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
I like the Houndmouth I've heard. Ms. Mize as well. The Cabin song on Spotify is beyond awesome. And of course Wax Fang.

I'm pretty psyched for Washed Out. It's what it sounds like - chilled out electronic stuff.

Not liking: any of that dubstep crap on the Spotify list. None of it has any appeal to me. I tried. It is like overly-hopped beer - style over substance, and too much of it.

Washed Out is awesome, don't know how he'd translate live but Within and Without is an awesome album as well as the EP Life of Leisure.  The song "Feel it All Around" is the theme music for Portlandia haha.

Washed Out - Feel It All Around (High Definition Video)
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

el_chode

Quote from: kotchishm on Mar 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
Quote from: el_chode on Feb 29, 2012, 10:01 PM

Washed Out is awesome, don't know how he'd translate live but Within and Without is an awesome album as well as the EP Life of Leisure.  The song "Feel it All Around" is the theme music for Portlandia haha.

Washed Out - Feel It All Around (High Definition Video)

That's where I've heard it before!

Washed out is not active listening music. But I think it'll work.

buaawwww

CLUUUUUUUTTTCCHHH!!!!!!!

That is all.  :D

oistheone

Really liking what I've heard so far, thanks for the posts everyone.

Digging Floating Action big time. Reminds me of a quirkier TTF-era MMJ.

BH

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 01, 2012, 03:28 PM
Really liking what I've heard so far, thanks for the posts everyone.

Digging Floating Action big time. Reminds me of a quirkier TTF-era MMJ.

I love the new Floating Action album.   I can't wait to see what it's like live.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bold992006

Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Houndmouth. Bio: Houndmouth is a collaborative folk/rock band from the lowland plains and farmlands of Indiana and Kentucky. Their poetry emphasizes foolhardiness, and their soulful harmonies carry far. Once a folk duo, Katie Toupin and Matt Myers (of the Saint James Hotel) joined up with Shane Cody (of Riffraff Revival) and Zak Appleby to create a colossal electric sound with bouncy half-time beats, punchy guitar riffs, and a bit of facial hair.

Not sure they have a full length album yet, they have a few videos of songs online though.  They remind me a little of the Band at some points.

Krampus

really like what I've heard from these guys.  I think I'll def check them out at Forecastle.