Dire Straits fans come save us

Started by sweatboard, Mar 08, 2012, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

sweatboard

fuuuuuuck!!  Tunnel Of Love.

I bet people have smoked pot and listened to this stuff.
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I remember hearing Romeo and Juliet for the first time.  It was by the Indigo Girls.  It gave me goose bumps.  I thought it was their song.  I eventually heard Dire Straits version and thought...."this is that shit band with the guy with the awful voice from the mtv song" 

To be able to say that on this day (3/8-3/9?)  :) .... that I truly understand that the original is by FAR better than that of the Indigo Girls version is a true moment in music evolution, and I think, even the Indigo Girls would agree,
that Dire Staits ARE the sultans........
They are THE SULTANS...................

THEY ARE THE SULTANS.............OF SWING!!!!!

;D   God, that was so badass. 

six lanes of traffic.....three moving slow.  Holy SHIT BALLS!!!.................  creole

weeniebeenie

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 08, 2012, 11:37 PM
Dire Staits ARE the sultans........
They are THE SULTANS...................

OF SWING!!!!!

;D   God, that was so badass. 

;D Sultans of Swing is one of my favourite songs ever. The guitar is amazing.
This is an awesome thread!

How loud can silence get?

pawpaw

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 08, 2012, 08:54 AM
Dire Straits-Dire Straits is essential for anyone who claims to be alive. I can still recall the stretch of I-55 South I was on when I heard Sultans of Swing on a scratchy AM radio in 1978, sitting in the backseat of my mother's oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. I'd put Making Movies second.

Quick story (of course): LA and I were set up for a coffee date when we first really met. So we drank coffee for an afternoon and got all hopped up and went to the record store (Uncle Bucks) in Oxford, Mississippi. We we strolling the aisles and came across Mark Knopfler's CD Neck and Neck (with Chet Atkins) filed in the Bluegrass section and I mentioned it should actually be in the Country section. Then we both confessed our love of Dire Straits simultaneously and sort of laughed, and then said at the same time, "Their 1st album is their best album" then we said at the same time, "Wild West End is the best song on the album", then, we quoted the exact line at the exact same time, "Greasy greasy greasy hair, easy smile" and then we both froze and looked at each other and then she put her hand up in my face as if to say STOP and just walked away. We have been pretty much inseparable since that day, some 16 years ago.

Dire Straits - Wild West End + lyrics

The production on that first, s/t album is awesome. The guitars just sound so beautiful - Mark Knopfler has amazing feel as a guitarist, he's a master.

Dire Straits - Water Of Love + lyrics
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mahg33ta

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 08, 2012, 08:54 AM

Quick story (of course): LA and I were set up for a coffee date when we first really met. So we drank coffee for an afternoon and got all hopped up and went to the record store (Uncle Bucks) in Oxford, Mississippi. We we strolling the aisles and came across Mark Knopfler's CD Neck and Neck (with Chet Atkins) filed in the Bluegrass section and I mentioned it should actually be in the Country section. Then we both confessed our love of Dire Straits simultaneously and sort of laughed, and then said at the same time, "Their 1st album is their best album" then we said at the same time, "Wild West End is the best song on the album", then, we quoted the exact line at the exact same time, "Greasy greasy greasy hair, easy smile" and then we both froze and looked at each other and then she put her hand up in my face as if to say STOP and just walked away. We have been pretty much inseparable since that day, some 16 years ago.

Dire Straits - Wild West End + lyrics

that is a great story (and blows my drinking michelob ponies in the back of some kitchen story away)

I love the first album too and love the way the guitars sound.   Water of Love is so beautiful to listen too, even now 30+ yrs later.

pawpaw

;D Sounds like we've got a similar appreciation of that first one, mahg33ta!

:beer:
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mahg33ta

Quote from: bbill on Mar 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
;D Sounds like we've got a similar appreciation of that first one, mahg33ta!

:beer:

lol yes, I had not seen your post when I wrote that.    That whole first album is loaded.   In fact, their entire catalog stands up well over time.

If I have any bad words to say about MK, it's that his solo show has gotten super predictable over the years.   Every few years a tour, same set list save one or two songs.   Love the show but just don't need to see it any more.

headhunter

Yes, this is a great thread for us "old-timers"

Who can pick out the bad cut from the debut album?  If you can, you're a better man than me.  No lemons here at all.

"Down to the Waterline" – 3:55
    "Water of Love" – 5:23
    "Setting Me Up" – 3:18
    "Six Blade Knife" – 4:10
    "Southbound Again" – 2:58
    "Sultans of Swing" – 5:47
    "In the Gallery" – 6:16
    "Wild West End" – 4:42
    "Lions" – 5:05
was some shakin' and some record playin'

zanjam

Quote from: headhunter on Mar 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
Yes, this is a great thread for us "old-timers"

Who can pick out the bad cut from the debut album?  If you can, you're a better man than me.  No lemons here at all.

"Down to the Waterline" – 3:55
    "Water of Love" – 5:23
    "Setting Me Up" – 3:18
    "Six Blade Knife" – 4:10
    "Southbound Again" – 2:58
    "Sultans of Swing" – 5:47
    "In the Gallery" – 6:16
    "Wild West End" – 4:42
    "Lions" – 5:05

Nope.  Not a one.  Down to the Waterline/Water of Love is a magical opening combo, as far as I'm concerned!!!!
anything + reverb always = better

Jon T.

I've listened to Dire Straits-s/t twice today.  You old folk got it going on.   :thumbsup:

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

headhunter

Spinning the recently remastered original now.

Yes, it does sound mighty nice.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

sweatboard

I just realized they wrote about MTV (money for nothing) on their first album. It was called "In the Gallery"   They just used MTV to take the opportunity to really spell it out.    They truly are amazing!!!  :-* Yes, the first album is a (production/guitar tone) wet dream

No ONE, I mean no one on earth....can sing...... "Oh Romeo, yeah I used to have scene with him" like Mark K. 

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cheesey 80's video; GO!

Dire Straits - Tunnel of Love Music Video

ha, they didn't even get the timing right on the face shaddows. 

art directors are hillarious...hahahha

sweatboard

Ok, here it goes.  I'm about to watch "money for nothing" again for the first time...

Let's see how it fairs...

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing music video (Good quality, all countries)

sweatboard

Ok, I had to pause that 59 seconds in.   The first part was so awesome it almost made my brain melt and then that badass guitar tone kicks in....... wait a second.....

sweatboard

That ain't workin  ;D

Multiple, multiple levels... what???   :bath: