Is it Just me? How Come No one has ever heard of MMJ?

Started by tbear, Mar 24, 2012, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbear

Quote from: manonthemoon on Apr 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
I think the band doesn't "play the game" of being a radio friendly band, unless you are talking college radio.  They don't really have a genre to fall into and most radio is owned by big coorporations who want to play Nickleback every hour or so due to the rating charts they use.  I don't think I have ever heard MMJ played on a regular radio and only a hand full of times on college radio and xm stations.  I know whenever I tell people I am traveling to see shows they never have heard of these guys.

Don't get me wrong they have gotten more popular since I started following them in 06, but I don't think they will ever get to the point of being everwhere like some bands like the Kings of Leon or Maroon 5 because of they way the band is as I think they are too low key.  .02

I hate to say it, but I am not buying the "MMJ doesnt play the game" idea. It seems to me they have been trying to become more mainstream/commercial with their last two albums, the HOTBM video and the relatively entrenched recent setlists. I, in no way, think this is a wrong or some sort of sell-out. All artists want to reach as large of an audience as they can, and it does not always have to do with money. It is just the natural course of all things: to grow.

Luna Moth

Quote from: Beat Poet on Apr 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
Quote from: Luna Moth on Apr 02, 2012, 03:56 AM
True but there are also alot of 'fans of music' who write mmj off because they dont get it. Im just hoping jim keeps concentrating on being a band leader more than being Yim Yames by himself.

Why take the time to immerse yourself in MMJ when you can get into Kings Of Leon? That's probably the point from people who don't get MMJ.

I was referring to folks who require varying setlists or extended jamming or soloing in every song. They don't get what mmj is about. The other group, scenester/hipster really only care about what is 'cool' or what no one has heard of yet. They don't get it either but im willing to bet The New Multitudes is cool enough for them to talk about, at least for a week.

When the band gets a large catalog they like enough to vary setlists(their old stuff rocks dont know why they dont play it more), let Bo jam more on the keys (kind of like how Tom's bass role was more prominent in Victory Dance, he kicks ass), they will have people following them around the country and setting up lots & 'shakedowns' - Jacket style, everywhere. My guess is 5-8 years?  then after 5 years of that they will take a hiatus and all of the MMJ fans will have to find new music for a year or so.

lasvegas

funny thread is funny.

crazy to think that such an unknown band could play madison square garden...twice.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

rincon

Quote from: lasvegas on Apr 03, 2012, 04:35 PM
funny thread is funny.

crazy to think that such an unknown band could play madison square garden...twice.
Again, someone who does not understand relativity. Can't sell out a 3,000 seat theater in a metro area of 12,000,000 people (LA). For 2 years I have been telling people about them, people from age 15 to 65. About 3 have heard of them.  The ones who really like them  after exposure vary in age from 15 to 65. I have been to used vinyl shops in suburban LA where the hipster 20something age guy working there has never heard of them. that has happened more than once. For a band to play MSG, and be that unknown to the general masses it fucking weird, no matter how you want to spin it.

lasvegas

you've only been telling people about them for 2 years?

well there is the problem.

we've been talking about them on the east coast for close to 15 years now.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

zanjam

Quote from: rincon on Apr 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
funny thread is funny.

Again, someone who does not understand relativity. Can't sell out a 3,000 seat theater in a metro area of 12,000,000 people (LA). For 2 years I have been telling people about them, people from age 15 to 65. About 3 have heard of them.  The ones who really like them  after exposure vary in age from 15 to 65. I have been to used vinyl shops in suburban LA where the hipster 20something age guy working there has never heard of them. that has happened more than once. For a band to play MSG, and be that unknown to the general masses it fucking weird, no matter how you want to spin it.

You know, the LA thing is funny.  Even monstrously huge sell-out-every-show bands like Phish barely play LA (or just give it a night, as opposed to a 3-night SF run, say.)  I can't put my finger on why LA is not a good stop for some bands, but it's just not.  The Gibson was empty in Dec. 

anything + reverb always = better

tbear

funny thread is funny.

MSG was about 2/3 full this past December. The Black Keys sold-out MSG, two-nights, in minutes. To me, that is ass-backwards.

Again, I would be perfectly happy if MMJ setteled into one of those bands that does multiple runs at the Beacon, Red Rocks and MWP every year. But as of right now, they wont be selling out those venues either.

MrWhippy

Quote from: zanjam on Apr 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
You know, the LA thing is funny.  Even monstrously huge sell-out-every-show bands like Phish barely play LA (or just give it a night, as opposed to a 3-night SF run, say.)  I can't put my finger on why LA is not a good stop for some bands, but it's just not.  The Gibson was empty in Dec.

That is what I find most baffling, is that attendance at the Dec 2011 shows sounded pretty bad in places other than LA as well.  From what some friends told me, they played smaller places in Texas and NC than they usually do and still didn't sell them out.

That means people are seeing them and then not coming back, which is what boggles my mind about this.  I don't know anyone who hasn't seen them and then become a fan and want to see them again. 

Who are these people who see them once and then don't come back?  I want to study them from an antrhopological perspective, I just don't get it.  How could you see them and not want to go back again, and again, and again... 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Luna Moth

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 09, 2012, 10:00 AM

That is what I find most baffling, is that attendance at the Dec 2011 shows sounded pretty bad in places other than LA as well.  From what some friends told me, they played smaller places in Texas and NC than they usually do and still didn't sell them out.

That means people are seeing them and then not coming back, which is what boggles my mind about this.  I don't know anyone who hasn't seen them and then become a fan and want to see them again. 

Who are these people who see them once and then don't come back?  I want to study them from an antrhopological perspective, I just don't get it.  How could you see them and not want to go back again, and again, and again...

this was mentioned earlier, the groups who you are talking about:
1.) requires varying setlists with extended jamming or soloing in every song.
2.) scenester/hipsters who only care about what is 'cool' or what no one has heard of or who hasn't made it yet
3.) the raver people who love glowsticks and dubstep

These 3 groups make up a substantial portion of ticket sales going on in the industry today in no particular order(not pop or country). MMJ had a killer Spring and Summer Tour, that shit was FUCKING EPIC and packed shows, only caught the Nashville show in Dec. tour and they played the best Dondante I ever heard, it was a weird arena venue, and not sold out.

MrWhippy

OK, got to test the the idea in the thread out a bit today.

I'm currently in Seattle on a business trip, and started talking to a couple this afternoon in Pike's Market who were also clearly visiting.  They were probably early to mid-30's and did not look like they lived under rocks.  I asked them where they were from and they said Louisville.  I said my favorite band, My Morning Jacket is from there, and they said they had never heard of them.

This kind of blows me away, I mean, how many things are there that really give Louisville national attention, anyway?  Even if you aren't a music fan, don't you think you would at least know the name of the biggest band from your town and one of the few local international touring acts?

rincon

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
OK, got to test the the idea in the thread out a bit today.

I'm currently in Seattle on a business trip, and started talking to a couple this afternoon in Pike's Market who were also clearly visiting.  They were probably early to mid-30's and did not look like they lived under rocks.  I asked them where they were from and they said Louisville.  I said my favorite band, My Morning Jacket is from there, and they said they had never heard of them.

This kind of blows me away, I mean, how many things are there that really give Louisville national attention, anyway?  Even if you aren't a music fan, don't you think you would at least know the name of the biggest band from your town and one of the few local international touring acts?
Some people say anecdotal evidence is worthless. Your example is priceless. Truly makes the point, however disturbing it might be. Were you amazed at how great all that fish smelled at Pikes?

MrWhippy

Yeah, Pike's Market is pretty incredible, not just the fish but how you can buy just about anything there. 

Mostly at the moment, though I'm just amazed at how much Radiohead just tore my face off at Key Arena.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
Having seen them in 2003 with about 100 people at the Exit In in Nashville, I'd say I'd much prefer to go back to those days rather than these days when "no one has heard of them" and you are encouraged to join something called Roll Call to ensure that you have a decent place in line for tickets for their shows...

Quote from: aMillionDreams on Mar 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Having been a fan since the beginning I get a kick out of how many people know. I used to tell everyone to check them out. Now it seems that everyone already has

Quote from: Cameron on Mar 27, 2012, 09:15 PM
I wish less people had heard of them so I could see them in small clubs again!  ;)

funny thread is funny.

Hey Mr. Whippy,

I do think that if I went up to the random person in Baltimore not locked into the music scene or your average Towson and Hopkins student, they would not know who Beach House was as well.  Louisville and Baltimore have comparable populations and would be considered fertile breeding grounds for music and art.  Then again, I'd argue that 90% of the Baltimore population doesn't know who the Grateful Dead is as well so.

I think Luna makes a solid point about the nature of concert goers among the younger fans.  Believe me, when I was 17 (or 34), I wouldn't want to be blasting Wonderful and First Light to my friends.

On a sidenote, I know it's a popular thing to do around here to kinda bash hipsters but they deserve all the credit for what they are great at.  Truly supporting small bands and local scenes so they get enough buzz so that the general listening public catches wind of them (when they aren't the ones hitting all the sweaty weekday club shows in front of 25 people).   Then they can go onto the band's website all knowingly 13 years after their inception and ask why they aren't popular. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

;D. I thought I was in a good mood when I woke up.  Apologies for the last sentence.  What a douchey post. :embarassed: 

I'm not an oooooold timer like amd or Vegas but in my mind, I feel like they've blown up so I'm having trouble comprehending this thread.  Also I completely understand not seeing them over and over again.  It's a real expensive ticket for those with little disposable income.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

vespachick

Quote from: rincon on Apr 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
funny thread is funny.

LA is weird for shows because it is not a music town. It is a "I wanna be famous town" and/or "look how awesomely rich I am town" and 95% of people there don't go to shows for the community or for the music, they go to promenade and to see who they can meet in order to network.  As well, LA is woefully short on great venues, imo.  In fact, one of the only venue's you're guaranteed a great time is at The Belly Up. And it's in San Diego. 
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

manonthemoon

Quote from: tbear on Apr 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Apr 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
I think the band doesn't "play the game" of being a radio friendly band, unless you are talking college radio.  They don't really have a genre to fall into and most radio is owned by big coorporations who want to play Nickleback every hour or so due to the rating charts they use.  I don't think I have ever heard MMJ played on a regular radio and only a hand full of times on college radio and xm stations.  I know whenever I tell people I am traveling to see shows they never have heard of these guys.

Don't get me wrong they have gotten more popular since I started following them in 06, but I don't think they will ever get to the point of being everwhere like some bands like the Kings of Leon or Maroon 5 because of they way the band is as I think they are too low key.  .02

I hate to say it, but I am not buying the "MMJ doesnt play the game" idea. It seems to me they have been trying to become more mainstream/commercial with their last two albums, the HOTBM video and the relatively entrenched recent setlists. I, in no way, think this is a wrong or some sort of sell-out. All artists want to reach as large of an audience as they can, and it does not always have to do with money. It is just the natural course of all things: to grow.

I am not saying they don't want to grow or don't play the game to some extent, but when you hear their stuff you don't immediately think of an episode of Dawson's Creek or someother horrible TV show like I do when I hear the Dawes or Band of Horses, etc.  I think everyband likes to try different things, that is why the last two albums have been somewhat different to keep it fresh.

I think I would put them into the mold of a band like Pearl Jam, who are a very big band, but there was a time in the late 90's where it was speculated that their record label wanted them to be marketed differently to allow them to reach the heights of superstar levels.  They declined and have been a highly successful band none the less, but they are not the megaband a lot of people thought they could be.  I like that they remained that way, but thats just me.

I hope that MMJ stays at this current level here personally as its still accessible to get good tickets to shows if you do it quickly enough and they still play some smaller venues which I prefer.  Its just funny to me that so many people don't know who the band is when I think they are one of the best around when everyone has heard of other bands without half as much talent.
Alive or Just Breathing

zanjam

Quote from: Luna Moth on Apr 03, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quote from: Beat Poet on Apr 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
Quote from: Luna Moth on Apr 02, 2012, 03:56 AM
True but there are also alot of 'fans of music' who write mmj off because they dont get it. Im just hoping jim keeps concentrating on being a band leader more than being Yim Yames by himself.

Why take the time to immerse yourself in MMJ when you can get into Kings Of Leon? That's probably the point from people who don't get MMJ.

I was referring to folks who require varying setlists or extended jamming or soloing in every song. They don't get what mmj is about.

So here's the thing about that...I first got into this band and loved them like there was no tomorrow.  But I had one complaint.  They didn't have varying setlists or extended jamming or soloing in every song!  HOWEVER, I was addicted immediately, and much to my delight, they suddenly turned into a "jammier" band.  I would have stuck with them thru thick and thin, but they miraculously heard my cry and turned a bit in that direction.  That said, I still need a varying setlist.  Not like a Grateful Dead-different-every-single-night setlist...but in order for me to feel completely satiated with MMJ I need at least a nugget or two.  A standout.  And I always get at least a little sumpin sumpin.  So as far as I'm concerned, they've achieved Superstar Status in my book and if they never get any bigger, we are all the luckier for it! 

What other band has had an entire episode of a cartoon sitcom dedicated to it? (Phish only had a few minutes in the Simpsons.)  Do you see Wilco getting a mention in Happy Endings??  Which band headlined like five MAJOR festivals (that were webcast, no less) last summer??  And was it over, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!!  And it ain't over now.  Cause when the going gets tough...the tough get going!  Who's with me??!

Luna Moth

^ reminds me of bluto's speech in animal house, don't really know what we have to rally about but im with you!  :D

Seeker

Wow- great thread! I love all the introspection by people who love this band and yearn for others to have the same appreciation. I agree with most comments.

MMJ and Grace Potter & the Nocturnals are bands I've really gotten into; but I am frustrated they haven't hit the arena level in popularity. What separates them from the Black Keys, who I saw as a support act for MMJ at Red Rocks only few years ago? ( The BK bluesy grundgey sound was OK for awhile, but it never changed and bored me after about 20 minutes)?

The Black Keys finally got some mainstream FM-Love.  Same with Avett Bros. or KOL >>> FM Love. But I'm mystified here too. Both MMJ (on Evil Urges) and GPN's last album had several outstanding FM friendly songs. Somehow they didn't get traction. Is it bad promotion? I don't know. When this happens (FM love) it will drive more casual fans to shows and their live acts will retain a bunch of those fans.

And varied setlists really only matter if you are a hard core follower. For the masses, they only hear one set when see MMJ, so it doesn't matter.

zanjam

Quote from: Luna Moth on Apr 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
^ reminds me of bluto's speech in animal house, don't really know what we have to rally about but im with you!  :D

It is, of course, Bluto's speech!  We are rallying that even though they're not the biggest, they still get major props - everywhere - and we are the lucky ones who fully understand and appreciate the critics' darlings.  We reap the benefits of other people being complete ignoramuses.  Sure it could change.  The next album could be monstrously huge.  So we have to soak it all in while we can b/c we don't know what tomorrow may bring.  If I had to see them at Shoreline I would probably cry (unless I was in the first couple rows.)  We've got it so good right now, there should be no complaining.