Top 10 MMJ songs you'd skip

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMPJ6306

I'm kind of amazed that so many of you are choosing EU and Circuital songs? Is it because you've been fans since way back when and they've changed a little too much for you? I've only known them since Z and the thought of skipping anything on their last three records is crazy to me.

That being said I actively dislike The Dark. It's the only song by MMJ I've never liked and don't think I ever will.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

johnnYYac

I discovered MMJ 36 days before the release of Evil Urges.  However, during those 36 days, I listened extensively to the back catalog and tons of tapings.  As a fan of Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead, I found the early recordings of MMJ reminded me of early Floyd and Dead tracks.  The Dark sounds like something Syd Barrett would write.  I also hear The Doors in early MMJ.  So I think we bring our previous tastes to the way we regard MMJ, old and new. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
I discovered MMJ 36 days before the release of Evil Urges.  However, during those 36 days, I listened extensively to the back catalog and tons of tapings.  As a fan of Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead, I found the early recordings of MMJ reminded me of early Floyd and Dead tracks.  The Dark sounds like something Syd Barrett would write.  I also hear The Doors in early MMJ.  So I think we bring our previous tastes to the way we regard MMJ, old and new.

listening to the Twilight from Red Rocks w/ Bo wailing that organ sound totally sounded like the Doors to me. 
what Madonna said really helped

jaye

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Sep 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
I'm kind of amazed that so many of you are choosing EU and Circuital songs? Is it because you've been fans since way back when and they've changed a little too much for you? I've only known them since Z and the thought of skipping anything on their last three records is crazy to me.

That being said I actively dislike The Dark. It's the only song by MMJ I've never liked and don't think I ever will.

Have you listened to the Red Rocks version of The Dark?   That song was not one of my favorites early on but it's grown on me.   It's great live.

I got into MMJ through Okonokos so I was all about ISM and Z at first, then At Dawn, then got really into Tennessee Fire.   I like most of EU and Circuital - and some of those songs are fantastic live - but to me they don't come close to the early stuff.   But I love how they evolve and try new things - I really like Highly Suspicious and Black Metal which a lot of people don't, so it's not about wanting them to stay stuck in the past.   

EverythingChanges

Let me start by saying I still love these songs in their own way, and I refuse to list Good Intentions, It's been a great 3 or 4 years etc.  That's cheating and you know it!

No order here:

Holdin' On To Black Metal (Probably my least favorite song in the catalogue)
Highly Suspicious
If It Smashes Down
I Needed it Most (This one and the one above it are probably the two songs I've listened to the least.  Just doesn't hold the greatness of the rest of the album.)
Holy
Outta My System
Two Halves
Remnants (I have to be in the mood for this one)
Off the Record
Knot Comes Loose

I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

e_wind

^ ^ ^ off the record, ouch for me! PC night 1 made me fall in love with this song all over.

my new list:

circuital
the day is coming
wonderful
Hot BMs
first light
outta my system
movin away

im amazed
first light
into the woods
first light
librarian
first light
IB4U
first light

on certain days:
wordless
dondante (SO WHAT)
TM pt2
Look at You

are we talking about at shows or at personal listening? if were talking at shows
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EverythingChanges

Wordless gets me going every time I hear it, especially at the shows. 

Mahgeetah34

No Particular Order:

1.) Dancefloors
2.) First Light
3.) Just Because I Do
4.) Slow Slow Tune
5.) Movin Away
6.) Outta My System
7.) Two Halves
8.) Aluminum Park
9.) Into The Woods
10.) Good Intentions  :grin:

Penny Lane

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Feb 08, 2013, 04:06 AM
No Particular Order:

1.) Dancefloors
2.) First Light
3.) Just Because I Do
4.) Slow Slow Tune
5.) Movin Away
6.) Outta My System
7.) Two Halves
8.) Aluminum Park
9.) Into The Woods
10.) Good Intentions  :grin:

that's an interesting list! glad to see Dancefloors getting the love it deserves (in my top 5)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EverythingChanges

I think Slow Slow is my favorite tune on Circuital.  It depends on my mood though.  It is like a 3-way tie between Slow Slow, Wonderful, and Victory Dance.  All of those are great songs!

SauceGod

Holdin on to Black Metal
Slow Slow Tune Movin Away
I'm Amazed
Sec Walkin
Two Halves
Aluminum Park
If It Smashes Down
Honest Man
They Ran
Tonight I Want 2 Celebrate With You!

...didn't want to just go the easy way by naming all of circuital.

johnnYYac

You all understand this thread is for songs you would SKIP, right?  :wink:

SauceGod

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 08, 2013, 11:49 AM

Yep, first 6 songs I regularly skip. The last four are songs that I skip because I have to be in the mood for them and get less play overall.

johnnYYac

Quote from: RDist52 on Feb 08, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 08, 2013, 11:49 AM

Yep, first 6 songs I regularly skip. The last four are songs that I skip because I have to be in the mood for them and get less play overall.
I was kidding, but couldn't add the wink smiley from my phone.   :wink:

To each their own.  I am surprised by a few selections of late, such as

Slow Slow Tune
Honest Man
Dancefloors

Also, Penny's comment suggests she didn't realize the nature of Mahgeetah34's list. 

Crispy

This thread makes no sense to me.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

you're right! holy crap--what kind of thread is this? 10 songs to skip?

i guess mine would be:

Remnants and most of Circuital
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 08, 2013, 12:41 PM
well really you can put anything in a crawfish boil but I think the corn is essential
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
well really you can put anything in a crawfish boil but I think the corn is essential

Don't forget the zebra burgers  :beer:.

John Butler Trio - Zebra

Crispy

Oh, I get it now, it's like when your English class is taught by a drunk woman who only wears makeup on half of her face.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 08, 2013, 01:08 PM

Oh, I get it now, it's like when your English class is taught by a drunk woman who only wears makeup on half of her face.

You had Ms. Fully for Forgettable Canon Literature as well?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head