The NFL Thread: 2012

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 25, 2012, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Rootin' for a Harbaugh Bowl here
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

johnnYYac

I'd say look for me in the crowd next Sunday night, but I doubt the cameras pan that high.

Looking forward to my first time being at Gillette Stadium for a playoff game.  After a couple of decades of always seeing them lose, the last decade has been nice.  I hope I can be their for another AFC Championship win, and maybe one more Super Bowl for Brady before he starts to lose his edge. 

Standing at our seats in October, Pats v. Broncos, over my brother's shoulder you can see our view.  We spend a lot of money to see the game from far away in the cold.  Fuck yeah! 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

AMERICAN DAD RULES

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'd say look for me in the crowd next Sunday night, but I doubt the cameras pan that high.

Looking forward to my first time being at Gillette Stadium for a playoff game.  After a couple of decades of always seeing them lose, the last decade has been nice.  I hope I can be their for another AFC Championship win, and maybe one more Super Bowl for Brady before he starts to lose his edge. 

Standing at our seats in October, Pats v. Broncos, over my brother's shoulder you can see our view.  We spend a lot of money to see the game from far away in the cold.  Fuck yeah! 

aRE YOU sETH mACfARLANE? i KEEP ASKING YOU AND YOU WON'T TALK TO ME!!!!! yOU MUST BE sETH mACfARLANE. i'M GETTING MY FEELINGS HURT!!!
Israel pulls out of Gaza; Gaza not pregnant.

ericm

Congrats John. Glad the games played out the way you needed them to so you can be there for the Championship game. It doesn't  matter where you're sitting, you'll be there for the biggest game of the year, and rooting your Pats onto the Super Bowl in person. It doesn't get much better than that for a fan.

If they don't pan that high and we don't see you, I'm sure you'll be cheering loud enough that we might hear you. :wink:

Having been to a few Giant playoff games, I know how excited you must be. Enjoy it, and be sure to take it all in.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

manonthemoon

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 13, 2013, 09:10 PM
Rootin' for a Harbaugh Bowl here

Same here, with Reed finally getting a ring and then he and Ray call it a career.
Alive or Just Breathing

Tracy 2112

capt. scotty

Quote from: ericm on Jan 13, 2013, 09:19 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 AM
Wilson. Keapernick, RGIII, these young guys have changed pro football, probably for good. They make Michael Vick look like a pioneer, but not a champion. Somewhere in between is Cam Newton. He has plenty of time to reach the level of these other new guys. What a great day of football. How can you not root for Seattle, unless you are a true Falcons fan?

I disagree about  changing the game for good. These guys are very talented, no doubt, but if they keep running that read option in the pros, they're not going to last too long,IMO.  Pro D-coordinators will figure out a way to stop this type of offense, and it won't take long either,imo. Having a QB who can scramble out of the pocket when needed like an Elway, Staubach or Young  is one thing, and  a great luxury, but counting on a QB to run as much as  he throws is a very risky deal.

These qb's will be getting hurt ala RGIII,and unless these guys can also be a pocket QB, and run that type of offense, they won't have very long careers,imo. There is way too much money, and cap hits tied up in qb's to not have them on the field. I'd bet Shanahan, and the Skins are already at work  putting in a regular pro offense  for RGIII when he returns, and scrapping the read option. Hopefully he comes back healthy, and has a nice career, but one more injury to that knee and he's done, and the Skins will be feeling that cap hit for a long time.

I saw less NFL games this year than in probably a decade, but I disagree with you. I saw a lot of games of all 3 QBs 2nd half of the season, and my impression is that RG3 is a gambler. I didnt see Wilson or Kaep take near as many runs to the sideline or try to get a few more yards like RG3 did. RG3 appears to be a pocket passer first, run 2nd, & thats another thing that differentiates him from Vick.

That said, Kaep and Wilson even moreso, look like pass 1st QBs to me. They also happen to be fast. They got their teams in the playoffs the first time they hit the field. Something is working Id say.

And again, I would rather have a top 5 prototypical QB at the helm like Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger if the game is on the line. If I dont, then Id wish I had a guy like Kaeprnicus or Wilson all day
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
Ravens fan goes nuts! Part 2

My god man!  Dude needs to get a fucking grip?! 

Btw, what does Part 1 look like???   :cheesy:

rincon2

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 16, 2013, 09:59 AM

The future of his children is bleak.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 16, 2013, 09:59 AM

The future of his children is bleak.

I thought the same thing

joey_rogo

So, who will draft Te'o? :smiley:

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: joey_rogo on Jan 16, 2013, 07:49 PM

it has to be the Jets, right? 
what Madonna said really helped

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM

it has to be the Jets, right?

The Bengals are always known for going after high character players...  :tongue:

capt. scotty

Someone picking Top 5. Id think the Lions would definitely take him if he was there at 5.

First time I looked at the draft order, Steelers are picking 17th. If only we lost a couple more games and we'd be picking top 10. Sounds like its gonna be a defense dominated 1st round.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ericm

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 16, 2013, 10:02 PM

Someone picking Top 5. Id think the Lions would definitely take him if he was there at 5.

First time I looked at the draft order, Steelers are picking 17th. If only we lost a couple more games and we'd be picking top 10. Sounds like its gonna be a defense dominated 1st round.

I'll be flat out shocked if he goes top 5.  I think Bama exposed some major weaknesses in his game  that will only be repeated on Sundays.

Then again, there have been some questionable high picks over the years, so maybe shocked is too strong. I'd be shocked if any team with solid  scouts and a good GM take him high though. 
"Where's Jim going?"

capt. scotty

Quote from: ericm on Jan 16, 2013, 10:36 PM

I'll be flat out shocked if he goes top 5.  I think Bama exposed some major weaknesses in his game  that will only be repeated on Sundays.

Then again, there have been some questionable high picks over the years, so maybe shocked is too strong. I'd be shocked if any team with solid  scouts and a good GM take him high though.

Bama exposed nothing in Teo's game, they exposed ND as lucky and even moreso their D as fraudulent.

Outside of a Patrick Peterson type CB getting picked apart or a top rated pass rushing DE/OLB getting stuffed by a OL for an entire NCGame, I dont think 1 game can really define a defensive players draft status by any means. Youre only as good as the 10 guys around you. From what Ive seen, Teo is worth a high draft choice. He'll be the QB of a defense for over a decade without a doubt.

ericm

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 17, 2013, 12:44 AM

Bama exposed nothing in Teo's game, they exposed ND as lucky and even moreso their D as fraudulent.

Outside of a Patrick Peterson type CB getting picked apart or a top rated pass rushing DE/OLB getting stuffed by a OL for an entire NCGame, I dont think 1 game can really define a defensive players draft status by any means. Youre only as good as the 10 guys around you. From what Ive seen, Teo is worth a high draft choice. He'll be the QB of a defense for over a decade without a doubt.

Alabama showed that he gets lost inside sometimes, and can be blocked by athletic, pro sized lineman, which is what he will be seeing on a daily basis in the NFL. He  can't handle the size, and get off blocks, and that is a MAJOR issue for an ILB. He's going to be seeing lineman like Bama's everyday, even in practice. He won't be able to feast on the Navy's, Pitt's,Purdue's, and BYU's  of the world anymore. They  might have had one lineman with pro skills, maybe, but every lineman in the Pro's is just that, a Pro. Even the worst of them are better than the everyday, normal college lineman. No way will he go high, or be around for long at LB, IMO.
"Where's Jim going?"

capt. scotty

Quote from: ericm on Jan 17, 2013, 08:05 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 17, 2013, 12:44 AM

Alabama showed that he gets lost inside sometimes, and can be blocked by athletic, pro sized lineman, which is what he will be seeing on a daily basis in the NFL. He  can't handle the size, and get off blocks, and that is a MAJOR issue for an ILB. He's going to be seeing lineman like Bama's everyday, even in practice. He won't be able to feast on the Navy's, Pitt's,Purdue's, and BYU's  of the world anymore. They  might have had one lineman with pro skills, maybe, but every lineman in the Pro's is just that, a Pro. Even the worst of them are better than the everyday, normal college lineman. No way will he go high, or be around for long at LB, IMO.

I dont expect him to be an elite NFL ILB like a Lewis, Willis, Bowman, Lee so yes he probably is a better college LB than NFL but I think he's going to be pretty good and a longtime starter & signalcaller (barring injury) for someone. Id be even more surprised if his draft stock drops that much between now and the draft than him not meeting expectations. What are you considering high? Top 10? First round? He isnt dropping out of the top 20, I highly doubt he would drop much past 10.

ericm

Scotty, I would consider top five a high pick, and reserved for elite/can't miss, future pro bowler.  A lock type of pick.
"Where's Jim going?"