The NFL Thread: 2012

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 25, 2012, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

I simply like Marshawn Lynch more than I dislike Pete Carroll.  :undecided:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 06, 2013, 09:14 PM
I actually respect Pete Carroll a lot.  He's a hell of a coach and I wish he was with the Jets past his one 6-10 season.

I was yelling at the TV that Kirk Cousins should have been in the game since midway through the 2nd quarter.  Shanahan just didn't have the balls to do it at home.  Shame.  They had no chance with how gimpy RGIII was.  I just don't get it.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 06, 2013, 09:38 PM
I actually respect Pete Carroll a lot.  He's a hell of a coach and I wish he was with the Jets past his one 6-10 season.

I was yelling at the TV that Kirk Cousins should have been in the game since midway through the 2nd quarter.  Shanahan just didn't have the balls to do it at home.  Shame.  They had no chance with how gimpy RGIII was.  I just don't get it.

I was thinking the same thing, especially with Dr. Andrews leaking that he didn't even evaluate RGIII when he was first injured and somehow the skins let him back into that game.

When they came out gashing the Hawks I thought it might be a blowout, but either Carroll and the d-coordinator did a good job at adjusting or Kyle blew his wad on the first 15 scripted plays and then forgot how to call plays.

I think I like the Hawks over ATL, not sold on Ryan or their defense.
Packers over 9ers
Hou over the Pats
Den over Bal
Alive or Just Breathing

iLikeBeer

The tough thing for the Seahawks to overcome is their travel schedule.  They had to fly cross country to DC, then back to Seattle.  And now they get to make another long flight to ATL.  Plus the Falcons are working on a week of rest.

I think the Falcons will benefit from being the more rested team but I do think it would be hilarious to see Ryan lay another egg in the playoffs. 

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jan 06, 2013, 10:35 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 06, 2013, 09:38 PM

I was thinking the same thing, especially with Dr. Andrews leaking that he didn't even evaluate RGIII when he was first injured and somehow the skins let him back into that game.

When they came out gashing the Hawks I thought it might be a blowout, but either Carroll and the d-coordinator did a good job at adjusting or Kyle blew his wad on the first 15 scripted plays and then forgot how to call plays.

I think I like the Hawks over ATL, not sold on Ryan or their defense.
Packers over 9ers
Hou over the Pats
Den over Bal

Houston over Pats?  bold call.  I just can't see it the way that Schaub has played over the last month.  And he did nothing on Saturday to make me rethink that opinion.  They won't be able to just ride Foster to victory.  Actually, if Dalton makes an accurate throw on that 3rd & 11 late in the game to a wide open AJ, then we're talking today about how Houston shit the bed...again. 

But if they pull off the upset, I'll be the first one in here to give up the props. 
what Madonna said really helped

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 07, 2013, 10:40 AM
The tough thing for the Seahawks to overcome is their travel schedule.  They had to fly cross country to DC, then back to Seattle.  And now they get to make another long flight to ATL.  Plus the Falcons are working on a week of rest.

I think the Falcons will benefit from being the more rested team but I do think it would be hilarious to see Ryan lay another egg in the playoffs.

I would've agreed w/ this sentiment, but that was before I read this: "The Seahawks aren't just the most balanced team in football, they're one of the most balanced teams ever. Football Outsiders' DVOA ranked them fourth in offense, fourth in defense and third in special teams." (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8813380/nfl-playoff-prognostications)

Those rankings can been seen here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/final-2012-dvoa-ratings

When I see those rankings from 1991-2012, almost all of those teams either won or at least made the SB (I'm simultaneously laughing and fist-pumping at the #2 entry on that list.  That felt good.)  I'm not a big advanced metrics guy, but just the eye test tells me we may be headed for a NE/DEN v. SEA Super Bowl. 

what Madonna said really helped

johnnYYac

Against odds, hoping for a 2nd round Denver loss which could bring the AFC championship to Foxboro... Where I gots tix!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

C'mon Ravens!  Johnny wants to go to the AFC Championship!  Overtime...

ManNamedTruth

Great game, always hate to see Ravens win though. Never thought I'd see Flacco outplay Manning, though how much of that was Denver's conservative play calling?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Mahgeetah34

Game of the season perhaps??  :smiley:

manonthemoon

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Great game, always hate to see Ravens win though. Never thought I'd see Flacco outplay Manning, though how much of that was Denver's conservative play calling?

I think they play calling was pretty bad in the second half on for Denver.  Guess I'm going to be Ravens fan next week.
Alive or Just Breathing

MMPJ6306

Kenny Mayne With Marshawn Lynch
[/quote]

This is one of my favorite viral videos ever. He's an insane player though. I'd love to see them go all the way.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

rincon2

Wilson. Keapernick, RGIII, these young guys have changed pro football, probably for good. They make Michael Vick look like a pioneer, but not a champion. Somewhere in between is Cam Newton. He has plenty of time to reach the level of these other new guys. What a great day of football. How can you not root for Seattle, unless you are a true Falcons fan?

ericm

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 AM
Wilson. Keapernick, RGIII, these young guys have changed pro football, probably for good. They make Michael Vick look like a pioneer, but not a champion. Somewhere in between is Cam Newton. He has plenty of time to reach the level of these other new guys. What a great day of football. How can you not root for Seattle, unless you are a true Falcons fan?

I disagree about  changing the game for good. These guys are very talented, no doubt, but if they keep running that read option in the pros, they're not going to last too long,IMO.  Pro D-coordinators will figure out a way to stop this type of offense, and it won't take long either,imo. Having a QB who can scramble out of the pocket when needed like an Elway, Staubach or Young  is one thing, and  a great luxury, but counting on a QB to run as much as  he throws is a very risky deal.

These qb's will be getting hurt ala RGIII,and unless these guys can also be a pocket QB, and run that type of offense, they won't have very long careers,imo. There is way too much money, and cap hits tied up in qb's to not have them on the field. I'd bet Shanahan, and the Skins are already at work  putting in a regular pro offense  for RGIII when he returns, and scrapping the read option. Hopefully he comes back healthy, and has a nice career, but one more injury to that knee and he's done, and the Skins will be feeling that cap hit for a long time.
"Where's Jim going?"

Ruckus

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Hey he outplayed Brady in the AFC Championship game as well.  Granted Flacco is a statue in the pocket and lacks the pocket presence to feel pressure and get rid of the ball early but he has shown over the last three playoffs that he is fearless under pressure and can make big throws.  Think about Boldin and Housh dropping balls against the Steelers or Lee Evans dropping the ball against the Pats last year.

More than anything I'm happy for this city and my friends.  Everything is purple here.  People were out on the streets celebrating and fireworks (or gunshots) were going off everywhere when that game ended.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

joey_rogo

I'm a Ravens hater (sorry Ruckus) but holy shit that was an epic game. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll actually be pulling for the Pats today so we can have an AFC championship rematch.

Go seahawks...... :undecided:

davymac

johnnYYac

For last night, I was a Ravens fan.  What a game!  Now, back to reality.  Go Pats!

rincon2

Quote from: ericm on Jan 13, 2013, 09:19 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 13, 2013, 02:11 AM

I disagree about  changing the game for good. These guys are very talented, no doubt, but if they keep running that read option in the pros, they're not going to last too long,IMO.  Pro D-coordinators will figure out a way to stop this type of offense, and it won't take long either,imo. Having a QB who can scramble out of the pocket when needed like an Elway, Staubach or Young  is one thing, and  a great luxury, but counting on a QB to run as much as  he throws is a very risky deal.

These qb's will be getting hurt ala RGIII,and unless these guys can also be a pocket QB, and run that type of offense, they won't have very long careers,imo. There is way too much money, and cap hits tied up in qb's to not have them on the field. I'd bet Shanahan, and the Skins are already at work  putting in a regular pro offense  for RGIII when he returns, and scrapping the read option. Hopefully he comes back healthy, and has a nice career, but one more injury to that knee and he's done, and the Skins will be feeling that cap hit for a long time.
Those are good points. I don't remember RGIIIs injury that put the brace on him but the latest injury was not related to his running style. Keapernick demonstrated he knows when to get out of bounds, when to slide, and when to throw from the pocket. It is safer for him to run through a giant hole in the defense than wait to get hit. This style may not become the norm, but so far this year it has been very successful, very entertaining, and will not go away. There is a lot of money to be made that have nothing to do with longevity. How many shirts did RGIII sell at over $100 a piece?