ItBeats4Jew

what Madonna said really helped

ericm

GO GIANTS!

Let's put one in the W column today, and get back on track. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

manonthemoon

So my Phins got a win, thats always a good day when it rarely happens
But with the Jets getting pounded and the Patriots choking, it made the day a lot better.

Eagles suprised, how can you have 9 turnovers in 2 games and be 2-0

Eli was ridiculious in the second half

The skins crapped the bed, which means the drive home from work all week will be much more enjoyable.  By far the worst sports/homer fans in the country by far.
Alive or Just Breathing

BH

Look on the bright side skins fans.   Think of all the money the team saved on kleenex's.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ericm

Really hoping we see the regular refs back soon. Yes they miss plays too, but at least they have a handle on the game, and keep it under control. It looked to me like the games were way more chippy this week than last. Guys seem to pushing what they can get away with to the limit. What's it gonna take, a major injury to a star player?

I think you could've called defensive holding on just about every play. More of a sandlot looking game, than a professional one in that regard,IMO. Db's seem to figure they're not going to call it every time, so if they can  get away with it , why not do it?

"Where's Jim going?"

Northern Neighbour

The replacement refs haven't been very good at all.  Actually, pretty bad.  I hope the League and the officials can reach an agreement soon.

Anyway, the Boys got smoked yesterday.  Other than parts of the first half, Seattle controlled the game.  They were the more physical and the hungrier team.  They just beat up the Boys and the Boys, as usual, just whimpered.

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
The replacement refs haven't been very good at all.  Actually, pretty bad.  I hope the League and the officials can reach an agreement soon.

Anyway, the Boys got smoked yesterday.  Other than parts of the first half, Seattle controlled the game.  They were the more physical and the hungrier team.  They just beat up the Boys and the Boys, as usual, just whimpered.

Ben, I was going to take a photo of Gideon in Giants gear watching the Giants game w/ us, but I refrained from doing so.  I think we should agree that Gideon be off-limits to any fan allegiances that may offend or upset any of the other Gideon owners.   :wink:

Ruckus

Quote from: ericm on Sep 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Really hoping we see the regular refs back soon. Yes they miss plays too, but at least they have a handle on the game, and keep it under control. It looked to me like the games were way more chippy this week than last. Guys seem to pushing what they can get away with to the limit. What's it gonna take, a major injury to a star player?

I think you could've called defensive holding on just about every play. More of a sandlot looking game, than a professional one in that regard,IMO. Db's seem to figure they're not going to call it every time, so if they can  get away with it , why not do it?
I was one of the few that were ok with the replacement refs.  When we had the regular refs people were always complaining and there was no real accountability mechanism.  I was hoping that the replacements would step up with few problems.  I mean the full time refs are asking for some enormous salaries for what amounts to a VERY PART TIME job.  Unfortunately, I finally have to concede that the replacements do indeed suck and an agreement has to be reached sooner than later. 

The best of the weekend was the phantom pass interference call against the Steelers on Santonio Holmes :grin:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 PM

I was one of the few that were ok with the replacement refs.  When we had the regular refs people were always complaining and there was no real accountability mechanism.  I was hoping that the replacements would step up with few problems.  I mean the full time refs are asking for some enormous salaries for what amounts to a VERY PART TIME job.  Unfortunately, I finally have to concede that the replacements do indeed suck and an agreement has to be reached sooner than later. 

The best of the weekend was the phantom pass interference call against the Steelers on Santonio Holmes :grin:

sorryspacebarbroke.
gottalovewhenthefanscontinuetoboowellaftertheplay.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ericm

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 PM

I get the salary and benefits these guys want is huge, and for most of us seems out of line, but the NFL is a multi billion dollar business. The players, fans, and the game itself deserve the best officiating they can get. They have the dough, so it shouldn't be that hard to come to an agreement that makes everyone happy,IMO.

Another thing to consider is the integrity of the game, and of the regular refs. These guys are beyond reproach, and that's gotta be worth something, no? I know I never minded paying one of my guys a little more if it meant less headaches for me.  :grin:

I got a kick out of the dumbass they pulled off the Saints game. It seems he posted on Facebook he was thrilled to be working a game for his favorite team, along with pics of him in a Saints jersey  outside the Superdome before a game he went to! You can't make this kinda shit up!

"Where's Jim going?"

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 17, 2012, 06:24 PM

Ben, I was going to take a photo of Gideon in Giants gear watching the Giants game w/ us, but I refrained from doing so.  I think we should agree that Gideon be off-limits to any fan allegiances that may offend or upset any of the other Gideon owners.   :wink:

Deal

davymac

Atlanta and Denver's MNF game last night was awful.  I bet an hour was wasted trying to figure out calls or re-locating the chains, very poor officiating.

iLikeBeer

Yeah.  I read on ESPN that the first quarter lasted over an hour alone in last night's game?!   :shocked:

This is getting utterly rediculous.  I don't know if anyone else is sensing it, but it seems to me as though the officials are catering more towards the home teams?  Just looking at the Browns to use an example...

In week one the Browns hosted the Eagles.  The Browns were flagged 3 times for 35 yards.  The Eagles?  They were flagged 12 times for 110 yards. 

Last week, the Bengals hosted the Browns.  The Bengals were flagged 6 times for 54 yards and the Browns had 10 penalties for 103 yards?! 

I also noticed in watching the Packer's first two games that they were getting the benefit of a TON of calls (and non-calls  :rolleyes:) and oh, they just happened to be playing at home as well.

So far the NFL has been able to mostly deflect any bad publicity that the replacement officials have brought to the games as there really haven't been any glaring errors made in any of the marquee games.   Well, last night wasn't pretty for the NFL and the noise is starting to get louder and louder with complaints about how poor the replacement officiating is becoming.  And now, player safety is being added to the argument about getting this deal done and Roger Goodell is beginning to look like a big hypocrite with how much he is has been an advocate for player safety and all!

iLikeBeer

Man, I was so encouraged after opening night beating the Giants in the Meadowlands!  And then last week happened?!   :rolleyes:  That was an awful performance all around but I'm mostly disappointed with one Dez Bryant!  Starting with his off the field issues, and that seems to be carrying over to affect his play on the field?!  How many dropped passes did he have?  Or how about muffed punts?!  He has all the talent in the world, but he's such a head case, I'm beginning to wonder if he's worth the trouble?! 

manonthemoon

Yep, the replacement refs are bad, but I have to agree with steve young's take.
It doesn't really matter how bad they are because everyone will still watch and buy tickets so the performance of the replacements will not really effect the negotiations with the regular refs.  I think the big sticking point is that the refs still want a full pention when everyone, other than players, that works for the NFL has a much smaller pention as part of their contracts.  I think this one could drag out farther than most people think as there hasn't been any reports of any new talks between the sides and I think Goodell has most of the power with profits still up.
Alive or Just Breathing

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 18, 2012, 11:48 AM

Man, I was so encouraged after opening night beating the Giants in the Meadowlands!  And then last week happened?!   :rolleyes:  That was an awful performance all around but I'm mostly disappointed with one Dez Bryant!  Starting with his off the field issues, and that seems to be carrying over to affect his play on the field?!  How many dropped passes did he have?  Or how about muffed punts?!  He has all the talent in the world, but he's such a head case, I'm beginning to wonder if he's worth the trouble?!

Witten had 5 dropped passes (4 official, but he also whiffed on the long pass).  BHe and Bryant were atrocious.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 19, 2012, 12:55 PM
Witten had 5 dropped passes (4 official, but he also whiffed on the long pass).  BHe and Bryant were atrocious.

Yeah, Whitten had a bad game too, but he also has that spleen issue to deal with.  Plus, he'll be in Canton someday, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt...  :cool:

pawpaw

RIP Steve Sabol

NFL's Best Ever Quarterbacks (1985), Part 1

NFL's Best Ever Runners (1985), Part 1

and of course, The Autumn Wind clip I post every season that is on the first page of this thread.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ManNamedTruth

Much appreciative to Steve Sabol for capturing some great stuff on film and making the game feel cinematic. I tried going back and watching the complete broadcasted Steeler SB's from the 70's on DVD and was surprised at how poor the quality was, I only ended up watching 2 of them. It's much better to just watch those clips from NFL Films.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ItBeats4Jew

so most of the prognosticators were picking against the Giants last night.  looks like the champs woke up the rest of the league to the fact that THEY ARE THE REIGNING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!  stop sleeping on this team.  they have the best quarterback in the league (that's right, I said it).  and now 2 more found weapons in Andre Brown & Ramses Barden (although anyone who watched the Giants this preseason...and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I watch preseason football...knows Barden could break out just given the opportunity.)