Sept. 11 - Huge Day for New Releases

Started by Northern Neighbour, Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Neighbour

Plenty of highly anticipated albums will be released tomorrow, including (in alphabetical order):

The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter
Bob Dylan - Tempest
Calexico - Algiers
Chris Robinson Brotherhood -    The Magic Door
Dave Matthews Band - Away From The World
David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Patterson Hood (of DBT) - Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance
Pet Shop Boys - Elysium
Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II
The XX - Coexist
ZZ Top - La Futura

I'm particularly looking forward to The XX, Thee Oh Sees, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Calexico, and Patterson Hood.

Fully

Thanks for posting this. I'll be checking out the Chris Robinson  Brotherhood, Avetts, and the Byrne/St. Vincent one.

smhoffmann02

Whoa - thanks for the heads up, NN.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

armando

Lots of good stuff. Also looking forward to the David Byrne/St. Vincent. Been digging the first video from that collab, too.

David Byrne / St Vincent "WHO" on Vimeo
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

armando

Um, click the link at the bottom of the video if you get an error :/
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Devil Ledbetter

I was just listening to pre-release streams of Grizzly Bear's Shields (due out on the 18th). I love them, but so far I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance. The truth is, I got distracted and started listening to an old NPR stream of Jim James at SXSW in '08.  :undecided:

Up next, the pre-release stream of Menomena's Moms, also due out on the 18th.

I'm going to have to check out that XX album. I loved their debut.
We understand it's the '90s.

headhunter

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
Plenty of highly anticipated albums will be released tomorrow, including (in alphabetical order):

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Calexico - Algiers

Mumford & Sons - Babel
Pet Shop Boys - Elysium
The XX - Coexist
ZZ Top - La Futura

I'm particularly looking forward to The XX, Thee Oh Sees, David Byrne & St. Vincent, Calexico, and Patterson Hood.

I've already pre-ordered these.  The Patterson Hood release is excellent!  I've already heard it and very highly recommend it.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

exist10z

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Sep 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
I was just listening to pre-release streams of Grizzly Bear's Shields (due out on the 18th). I love them, but so far I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance. The truth is, I got distracted and started listening to an old NPR stream of Jim James at SXSW in '08.  :undecided:

Up next, the pre-release stream of Menomena's Moms, also due out on the 18th.

I'm going to have to check out that XX album. I loved their debut.

Waiting for the Grizzly Bear and Menomena for months, like what I've heard so far, going to listen to those streams today - thanks for the links.

Seeing Menomena in a couple weeks, first time, stoked.

S
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Northern Neighbour

The 18th is also a big day for new albums.

Alt-J
Band of Horses
Dinosaur, Jr.
Grizzly Bear
How to Dress Well
Kanye West
The Killers
Menomena
Woods

And many, many others. 

I'm particularly looking forward to Dinosaur, Jr.; Grizzly Bear; How to Dress Well; Menomena; and Woods.

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

Bob Dylan's Tempest is great! right up there with his other late career releases!

Grizzly Bear and Dino Jr. is streaming at NPR

Band of Horses is streaming off of paste on soundcloud

and spinner's got the new Patterson Hood, Marco Benevento and Will Johnson.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

Dino Jr didn't really hit any typical sweet spots. That was on a lo-fi NPR stream. Perhaps actual album will deliver more nuance.
I'm surrounded by assholes

TheThird

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 AM

Bob Dylan - Tempest
Calexico - Algiers
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Pet Shop Boys - Elysium
The XX - Coexist
ZZ Top - La Futura

if you just can't wait until tomorrow for Coexist, here's the stream of it: http://coexist.thexx.info/?referrer=0de6c6a7-055a-48a7-9137-f9ad5f5009f7
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

exist10z

Listened to the steams for Grizzly Bear and Menomena today, thought they were both really good, then again I love both bands.

Three nights of MMJ this week, those two albums next week, and hopefully see both of them over the next month.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Devil Ledbetter

We understand it's the '90s.

bold992006

Turbo Fruits new album comes out today.  If  you haven't heard of this band check them out.  Saw them open for Deer Tick.

here is a write my friend did on them for an online magazine.

http://mysecretboston.com/sonic-stew/crazy-train

ManNamedTruth

Mumford and Sons doesn't come out 'til Sep. 25. Maybe it came out today outside of the US?
I'll have to check out that Turbo Fruits, i was impressed with them at Deer Tick as well. Pretty bummed that I bought their first LP and it doesn't play though.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Northern Neighbour

MNT, you're right about Mumford & Sons.  I was looking at Metacritic, which had their album listed as today for the release but on their website it says September 24 elsewhere and Sept. 25 in NA.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.