Most underrated MMJ tracks?

Started by ManNamedTruth, Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
I'd nominate "I Won't Cry". Jim wrote this when he was HOW old? Just an unreal song, wish they'd play it live. Could see a countrified version working very well.
:huh:
Puzzled look = not familiar with "I Won't Cry".  Where might I find this?  And am I gonna kick myself when you remind me of its existence?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jaye

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
I'd nominate "I Won't Cry". Jim wrote this when he was HOW old? Just an unreal song, wish they'd play it live. Could see a countrified version working very well.
Puzzled look = not familiar with "I Won't Cry".  Where might I find this?  And am I gonna kick myself when you remind me of its existence?

It's on Ch. 2.   I love this song too.

johnnYYac

Quote from: jaye on Sep 17, 2012, 11:22 AM

Well, guess who is breaking out his Ch. 1 and Ch. 2?  I rediscovered another track recently from the "Early Recordings".  Its been awhile...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

i am 100% in on Remnants!  I can just hear it now! Also a big fan of Aluminum Park and that's a pair of pretty fun and rocking tracks from EU that normally don't get a lot of love.

it's probably not underrated by some on the board, but Just One Thing is special to me and I guess it doesn't get the attention it deserves IMO.
Don't you ever turn it off

YimYodd

I would add Librarian, it appears everyone hates that song, but I think it's great (not great like top 10 necessarily, but I dig it).
[/quote/]

Definitely agree! Why do so many hate it so? :shocked: :angry:
I must say I've always had a thing for librarians so that made me wanna listen, but i think it's got some good lyrics.... showin' love to Karen Carpenter.

Thank You Too!
Slow Tune
Remnants
Aluminium Park
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Fully

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 17, 2012, 04:40 PM
i am 100% in on Remnants!  I can just hear it now! Also a big fan of Aluminum Park and that's a pair of pretty fun and rocking tracks from EU that normally don't get a lot of love.

it's probably not underrated by some on the board, but Just One Thing is special to me and I guess it doesn't get the attention it deserves IMO.

I'm with you! Help me out!
http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=16560.msg307268#new

rincon

Two Halves is the one song I have never heard anything positive about. I love it. Pure POP. Nothing more, and not intended to be anything more. If they can go outside their expected genres in so many directions, why is the pop sound so misunderstood?

weeniebeenie

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 17, 2012, 02:40 PM

Well, guess who is breaking out his Ch. 1 and Ch. 2?  I rediscovered another track recently from the "Early Recordings".  Its been awhile...
I love I won't Cry!. Glad it got a
mention.
How loud can silence get?

Dillsnufus

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 17, 2012, 02:40 PM

I did the same recently (also wish they were on vinyl) and rediscovered there awesome cover of west end girls
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Willard1979

I dont think Golden gets enough praise. I love it!

Fully

Quote from: Willard1979 on Oct 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
I dont think Golden gets enough praise. I love it!
But it does get plenty of love in the setlists. It's a beautiful song, but I've really enjoyed the absence from the setlist in several of these Spontaneous Curration shows that I've seen. I've seen it so many times and heard it in so many live recordings that a break from it has been needed - at least for me. I do think it's one of the prettiest and most peaceful songs Jim has ever written, but sometimes less is more.

vwxg14a

Steam Engine
Dondante
One Big Holiday
Phone Went West

Actually any song on the the Palms especially Nashville and They Ran

Where to Begin/Same in any Language - Elizabethtown Soundtrack

Remnants

Moving Away
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

HardNightConformist

One In The Same
Librarian
Thank You Too!
Hopefully

Jackets N Pones

Evil Urges w/ or w/o strings intro
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

buster douglas

justbcuzido

Quote from: buster douglas on Jul 23, 2013, 10:47 PM
Good Intentions

Sometimes I listen to that song on repeat all day long  :wink:
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Willard1979

I don't hear enough praise for First Light. It's become one of my favorites.  :drum:

Fully

Quote from: Willard1979 on Jul 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't hear enough praise for First Light. It's become one of my favorites.  :drum:

Maybe because it has terrible lyrics? I love hearing it live, but Jim was having major writer's block the day he pulled those lyrics out of his ass.

manonthemoon

Quote from: Fully on Jul 25, 2013, 06:19 PM
Quote from: Willard1979 on Jul 25, 2013, 05:38 PM

Maybe because it has terrible lyrics? I love hearing it live, but Jim was having major writer's block the day he pulled those lyrics out of his ass.

Yeah, not a fan, the only thing I like about the song is the Sax part of Carl's. 
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Lowdown
Knot comes Loose
Into the Woods

All definately underated, even is some people don't like the carnival sound and beginning odd lyrics of ItW, it still has a couple of my favorite verses of all of MMJ's songs with the put in more than you could ever get out towards the end of the song. 
Alive or Just Breathing