Okonokos - best live album ever?

Started by millerjustin, Oct 22, 2012, 09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exist10z

No one has mentioned Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus.  Not one concert, but a great 'live' album nonetheless...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

rincon

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I really think this conversation starts and ends with Allman Brothers at Fillmore East, still perplexed about the disagreement...

But since we are listing other options, I am with Rincon on Talking Heads, I was going to suggest Stop Making Sense - at least as a part of the conversation.
The name of this Band blows away Stop Making Sense, it covers the tours following each of the first 4 albums. Allmans is a classic, but I could never listen to more than 20 minutes at a time. Great concert, just not as listenable as many others listed here.

exist10z

Quote from: rincon on Oct 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I really think this conversation starts and ends with Allman Brothers at Fillmore East, still perplexed about the disagreement...

But since we are listing other options, I am with Rincon on Talking Heads, I was going to suggest Stop Making Sense - at least as a part of the conversation.
The name of this Band blows away Stop Making Sense, it covers the tours following each of the first 4 albums. Allmans is a classic, but I could never listen to more than 20 minutes at a time. Great concert, just not as listenable as many others listed here.

Twenty minutes at a time?  That's not even a full song! :grin:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

rincon

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 24, 2012, 01:48 AM
Quote from: rincon on Oct 24, 2012, 01:23 AM

Twenty minutes at a time?  That's not even a full song! :grin:
Usually I listen to In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and I am just about done. BTW my great great grandmother was Elizabeth Reed. Only found that out recently. Bet it is a different one.

robb

Surprised there hasn't been any mention of either of Cash's prison albums yet.  They may not be the most "rocking" albums, but they definitely kick ass.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Crispy

Quote from: zanjam on Oct 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
I've listened to live rust more than any album ever, live or studio. So that's my #1 for sure. Then followed by exit stage left, then okonokos. Live at Leeds, the last waltz, grateful dead one from the vault all rank up there too.

WHOA. I forgot about One From the Vault! That one is also in my top 3. "Good evening, we welcome you..." I just love that Bill Graham introduction.

I'm with you guys on the Allman's Fillmore East record too.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Tracy 2112

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 AM
No one has mentioned Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus.  Not one concert, but a great 'live' album nonetheless...

yep
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

zanjam

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 AM
Doh!  Forgot Waiting for Columbus.  That's high up there, too!
anything + reverb always = better

LeanneP

My man just got home with Okonokos! Squeeeeeeeee!
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Shug

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote from: zanjam on Oct 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
I've listened to live rust more than any album ever, live or studio. So that's my #1 for sure. Then followed by exit stage left, then okonokos. Live at Leeds, the last waltz, grateful dead one from the vault all rank up there too.

WHOA. I forgot about One From the Vault! That one is also in my top 3. "Good evening, we welcome you..." I just love that Bill Graham introduction.

I'm with you guys on the Allman's Fillmore East record too.

You'd pick One From The Vault over Live Dead or Europe '72 (which doesn't really count as a genuine live album in my book, but its still so great, whatever it is)?    I know it sounds so good and the complicated and intricate arrangements of the Blues For Allah songs is fantastic, but...  All the Dead's different phases, so much variability, but Live Dead is the balls, don't you think?
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

johnnYYac

With all due respect to Okonokos, a real full-band MMJ experience... I listen to Acoustic Citsuoca far more often.  Perhaps because of its manageable length, its easier to find the time and opportunity.  But what a great slice of live Jim.  Its one of my favorite live recordings.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

I started looking over some of the posts from another thread about best live albums and/or DVD's and found this article posted by dragonboy back in 2008. The article is from Mojo from May 2008. Check out the comments after the article. They are mostly lists of favorite live albums and DVD's.

Quote from dragonboy from 2008
"Why Live Albums Rule!

Excitement, hits, bum notes, heckling: the spirit of rock'n'roll is alive and well in the grooves of the live album, says MOJO's Stevie Chick:"

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/12/why_live_albums_rule_1.html

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Shug

The replies to that article reminded me about  the mighty Humble Pie Live at Winterland 1973. Steve Marriott, one of the great greats in my book.

iLikeBeer

Phish's A Live One is a pretty good live album IMO...

jadavis7

I like Rust (and loooove NY), but I just can't put it in my Top 5, I don't think.

The Last Waltz is probably one of the best music documentaries/concert films ever, so that's in. Radiohead's Live at the Astoria is good stuff. The Flaming Lips' U.F.O.'s at the Zoo for sure.

I think Okonokos tops my list though. Especially because Tommy is turned way up in the mix. Gotta love the low end, and I feel like he gets turned down in the mix a little now. Plus you've got MMJ in full fighting force on like half the songs from ISM, most from Z, and some golden nuggets from At Dawn and TTF. Does the acoustic DVD of songs culled from the Okonokos shows count as part of Okonokos?

Oh, and let's not forget the bear, blood, and Cobra outro.
My head takes a lickin' but my heart keeps on tickin' just the same

Jeff Murray

A couple of live albums that pop into my mind outside of Okonokos...

Live At Massey Hall - Neil Young
Priest Live - Judas Priest
The Gorge Box Set - Pearl Jam
Unplugged - Nirvana - As well as Live at Reading
Live at the Apollo - James Brown
Live After Death - Iron Maiden
Tribute - Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads

DVD - Beastie Boys - I F*ckin Shot That
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yes to the RUSH, but Exit Stage Left is my choice. It's my favorite live record of all time, but probably in a tie with Okonokos.

Rush - Xanadu ( Exit Stage Left )

totally agree! 
what Madonna said really helped

Shug

i've been trying to rent this from Netflix forever, but it looks like they don't really have it.  My Rush-obsessed days are behind me and I never owned this live record (doesn't it sound pretty much just like the studio versions since they were so "perfect" live?)  I'd love to watch the footage for old times' sake.

Rufus T. Firefly

a couple of my favorites, I don't know that I would, or am capable of determining the "best" of anything

Comes Alive- Peter Frampton (I'm old)
Deep End- Pete Townshend et al
Deepest End - Govt Mule

Rufus T. Firefly

also, and again not the best but.....

Live at Tipitinas- Anders Osborne