Meeting the band

Started by Goope57, Dec 18, 2012, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goope57

Has anyone here met any of the Jacket guys? And if so how? I feel like I read somewhere that they come out after their shows and talk to fans who wait around, but I could be making that up. I'd really love to meet them.

robb

I ran into Carl after Wax Fang's set at Forecastle this year.  He was walking a few feet in front of where I was standing so I let out a "Hey Carl!" and he walked right over.  We talked about how awesome It Makes No Difference is, and I put in a request for it the next night, he said he'd mention it to the guys, and sure enough it got played.  Super awesome guy.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

tdb810

Yup....lots of folks on here have met various members of the band.  They are really approachable, and very friendly!

Here's my rundown of run-ins with GREATNESS:

July 2010 -- met Jim after the Appalachian Voices show in Brooklyn.  He came out onto the stage to pack up a few things after everyone had cleared out.  Pennylane and I had a very embarrassing conversation with him, where I offered him free therapy from me, or free legal advice from Penny.  I was the embarrassing party.  Also, neither of us had a working phone/camera to capture the moment.  This was almost too much to bear, but we left graciously....and then waited out front for like 45 minutes...he finally came out, and my husband chased him down the street to the bus....and we chatted with him for a couple of minutes....again, embarrassing myself. 

August 2010 -- met Carl and Bo (and Patrick's wife) after waiting for a really long time outside of their bus after the Philly show.

October 2010 --- met Carl, Patrick, Bo, Tommy, and JOHNNY QUAID after Carl's solo show at Joe's Pub during T5 week.  Got to chat A LOT with JQ, and also got to hear the first hand snowy bramble story from Carl.  Also met lp that night. 

July 2012 -- met Carl again at Newport....he thinks/knows that I'm a stalker. 

It's really cool to get a chance to talk to these guys, they are so down to earth (except Jim is sorta...ya know....Jim...he is so very sweet and kind, and just listens to the babbling). 

AMAZING dudes....just adore them!

I think that's it. 
.....Back at the Model Home

Penny Lane

Quote from: tdb810 on Dec 18, 2012, 09:45 PM

Here's my rundown of run-ins with GREATNESS:

July 2010 -- met Jim after the Appalachian Voices show in Brooklyn.  He came out onto the stage to pack up a few things after everyone had cleared out.  Pennylane and I had a very embarrassing conversation with him, where I offered him free therapy from me, or free legal advice from Penny.  I was the embarrassing party.  Also, neither of us had a working phone/camera to capture the moment.  This was almost too much to bear, but we left graciously....and then waited out front for like 45 minutes...he finally came out, and my husband chased him down the street to the bus....and we chatted with him for a couple of minutes....again, embarrassing myself. 

only one of the best nights ever! you married an awesome man, tdb....thank god for Bob chasing down tour buses!

and my friend Jess grabbed Ben's cello from him and carried it to the bus..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

My .02

Tommy and Patrick are completely approachable and friendly!

Jim, Carl and Bo make me sooooooo nervous and I'm sure nothing intelligent has ever come out of my mouth the times I've met them. They seem like sweethearts, though. This is probably a reflection of my own inferiority complex rather than how they really are. Apparently others have had great experiences.

Johnny Quaid is completely approachable, too. LADIES, you're not allowed to approach, him though...(i keed i keed)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

walterfredo

Joe's Pub!

(also ran into Bo at a bar in SF after the Bill Graham Civic show)

Tracy 2112

Hung out with them a couple of times back in 2005 and 2006. Nice, friendly, down to earth. Pretty sure they remember me.... :rolleyes:

One story sticks out > My friend Tom and I went to see them in Cincinnati at Bogarts in October of 2005. It was Tom's 18th birthday! We ran into Tommy and his girlfriend at the time, now ex-wife, out front on the sidewalk before the show and talked. Tom told Tommy he wanted to give him a tape he had made of his music and Tommy said something like "after the show" or something; I figured he was just blowing him off. Anyway, great show and we waited out back near the bus with about a couple of dozen people hoping to get a "glimpse"; so we all sort of cheered and said their names as they rushed to the bus, one by one and they waved. When Tommy came out, he was about to get on the bus and heard Tom call his name and they made eye contact and Tommy made a b-line to Tom and Tom gave him his tape and they talked briefly, Tommy took the tape from Tom, gave him a big hug, and walked back through the crowd to get on the bus. One of the coolest "rock star" moves I had ever seen. Then Tom cried like a 6 year old the whole drive back to Nashville and said he was never bathing again, etc...
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

oistheone

Talking to the guys one by one after the Ramble at Levon's made for one of the most unforgettable and surreal nights of my life. My girlfriend is IN LOVE with Jim (what gal isn't?) and though he was just milling about by himself after the show, she didn't have the guts to go up to him. For some reason I thought I'd take it upon myself to introduce them to each other.

With my girlfriend still awkwardly waiting by the door, I walked up to Jim and simply asked if he'd mind taking a few seconds just to say hello to her. "Of course!", and like the gent that he is, he walked right up to her and stuck out his hand. "Hello Nicole, I'm Jim". She just about fainted and we all talked for a minute or two while she was on the biggest natural high of her life.

tdb810

Quote from: oistheone on Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
Talking to the guys one by one after the Ramble at Levon's made for one of the most unforgettable and surreal nights of my life. My girlfriend is IN LOVE with Jim (what gal isn't?) and though he was just milling about by himself after the show, she didn't have the guts to go up to him. For some reason I thought I'd take it upon myself to introduce them to each other.

With my girlfriend still awkwardly waiting by the door, I walked up to Jim and simply asked if he'd mind taking a few seconds just to say hello to her. "Of course!", and like the gent that he is, he walked right up to her and stuck out his hand. "Hello Nicole, I'm Jim". She just about fainted and we all talked for a minute or two while she was on the biggest natural high of her life.
What a guy!! Nice move O!
.....Back at the Model Home

Angelo

Quote from: oistheone on Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 PM

I can't imagine how awesome that night must have been. I wish I could have experienced it. Not the meeting per se but just the show (although the meeting seems like icing on the cake I guess!). I would cherish that memory.

korief

I met Carl, Bo, and Tom outside of a Toronto show - not waiting for them but a hot dog. What struck me was that they were not only gracious and down to earth but also gave off the impression that they actually enjoyed talking with the fans. I would live to meet Patrick some day because I think he is the coolest but dread meeting Jim because I'd make a fool out of myself by humping his leg :)

rincon2

I met Jim while getting my New Multitudes album signed by the band. He has a presence I have never observed before. As he was declining signing my MMJ T-shirt because it was not N.M., it was the nicest rejection I had ever had in my life. Direct eye contact with a smile, the most peaceful person I have ever seen. Can't say the same for 2 other members of N.M. A fourth member was exceptionally nice though. Ran into Bo twice, once quite literally, and Carl also. Patrick seems like a fan of the band, with his perpetual grin, and my guess is a very cool guy. I hear Tommy is very nice and approachable. What a collection of extraordinarily talented and nice people.

Mahgeetah34

I met Tom after the 2012 Alpharetta show and I got a picture but i didn't have my usual sharpie on me to get anything signed.

After the overpass show at Forecastle, the security was rushing the band to leave and I simply said "Jim" in a low tone and he somehow heard and left the line to come over and shake my hand.

mynameiscurt

After the 2011 MSG show we just so happened to roll up to the bar where the band had their "after party".  Patrick and Bo were the only guys there from the band and were both super cool.  Bo kind of blended in, but Patrick had a bit of a receiving line and was cool and gracious to tons of people.   I had a few too many drinks and didn't have much of a conversation, but the duddes were cool.

JaneCool

Well I met Patrick, Tommy and Bo after the MSG show at a private party - I wasn't on the guest list but Patrick said to go on in, so who was I to argue? I talked to both Tom and Bo, mostly about music, for several minutes - it was surreal. I would love to meet Carl and Jim some day. I would probably stutter around them both!
Edit: just saw your post above mine curt, guess we were both there!
So, I do believe.....

weeniebeenie

My sister and I met Bo on the street (we were crossing the road so he stopped to talk once we got to the other side) and we met Jim, Pat and Carl outside the the venue they were playing that night. After the show they drove past and all the band waved at us.
How loud can silence get?