The Black Crowes are flying again!!!!

Started by buaawwww, Dec 25, 2012, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

Besides Southern Harmony, I'd also say Amorica is a must have. Three Snakes and One Charm has a few of my favorite songs as well...

But there are tons of live shows out there, including some officially released by the band. There's a great DVD also called Cabin Fever, that they filmed at Levon Helm's studio before he died. Look on youtube and I'm sure you can find a few.

or else, just go!! I have seen them a ton and never ever been disappointed!  :thumbsup:

Shug

Oh, Mr. Whippy, you've opened a can of worms now!

I agree with BH and Sunflower on studio albums, Southern Harmony is tops for flat out rock n roll and Amorica is right behind it, but that's not quite what they sound like now (with Marc Ford, lead guitar and Eddie Harsch keys, gone), so it might be a bit misleading.  Same for the live shows, there are tons of great ones from the past, but it won't really be what they sound like now.

For intensity and long jams, this just might be their finest show ever, I mean this sucker smokes.  If you play this really loud in the right...ahem...."state of mind" you will probably see the light.  Trust me, this is a rock n roll band coming out slaying, taking no prisoners.  The intro jam to Black Moon Creeping is nearly 15 minutes of dirty nasty blues rock guitar, fucking beautiful, and then they start playing the actual song!  And there is no aimless noodling, its all intense, driven, purposeful.  And it never lets up the whole show. Grade A shit here!

http://instantlive.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=858_4575_9082&pc=IVCD208

From the same era (the second coming of the savior Marc Ford) is this DVD from the Fillmore in SF, all from one night, also blazing.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Crowes-Freak-Roll/dp/B000EHSVO6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359127717&sr=8-5&keywords=into+the+fog

But to hear what they will likely sound like this year, Cabin Fever would be a great DVD to pick up, as sunflower suggested.  Of course, Luther Dickinson has been replaced by Jackie Greene so we don't really know what they are gonna sound like, but I'm guessing it won't be too different from 2008-2010.  Here is a top-notch show from the Luther years 

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,3343/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-12-18-2008-BC-Roadshow-San-Francisco-CA.html

and another excellent one from the same run at the Fillmore

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,3344/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-12-19-2008-BC-Roadshow-San-Francisco-CA.html

Here is another good one with Phil Lesh sitting in for an encore of Dead tunes.  Rich's take on To Lay Me Down is great, he knows how to pick the gems when he does cover tunes.

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,4607/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-12-6-2009-BC-Roadshow-San-Francisco-CA.html

That should get ya started.  :grin: :thumbsup:

Let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

buaawwww

Anybody here wanna trade 2 Friday Night tickets for 2 Saturday Night tickets at Terminal 5?

MrWhippy

Thanks for the suggestions.  Looking forward to digging in.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Taterbug

I just got familiar with the 2010 Filmore run.  Oh my !!!   I would have to say there cover of " oh sweet nuthin " IMO is right up there with Mmj 2011 red rocks version.   
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Shug

Yeah, tater and how about that version of Midnight Rambler?  That was a peak moment because they've hinted at that song for YEARS in their Thorn In My Pride jams and fans had been clamoring for it all that time and then on the last night before hiatus, they finally busted out the full song.  It was a years-long build up of anticipation to a moment of release (insert your own joke here  :drum:).

Fully

Are y'all buying these shows or are you getting them somewhere?

Angelo

Quote from: Fully on Mar 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
Are y'all buying these shows or are you getting them somewhere?

I was thinking of asking this same exact question.

LBSUNFLWR

You can buy soundboards on liveblackcrowes.com  ( I assume that site is still active)

or find them on various torrent sites if you have access...

Taterbug

Quote from: Shug on Mar 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, tater and how about that version of Midnight Rambler?  That was a peak moment because they've hinted at that song for YEARS in their Thorn In My Pride jams and fans had been clamoring for it all that time and then on the last night before hiatus, they finally busted out the full song.  It was a years-long build up of anticipation to a moment of release (insert your own joke here  :drum:).

Yeah Shug.  I only downloaded the show from 12/15/2010 from iTunes.  I will deff check out midnight rambler.  Where you at those shows ?   
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Shug

Yep, all 5 Fillmore shows in 2010, 3 out of 5 in 2009 and 2 out of 5 in 2008.  Like many drugs, you have to keep doing more and more.  :grin:  LD and I will be at all of the Fillmore shows this coming Dec, too (cause I'm positive that will happen!)

For buying these shows, check out some of the links in my earlier posts.  Like sunflower said, there are a TON of shows for sale at www.liveblackcrowes.com, there are still a few CDs you can buy for pretty cheap at instantlive and for some reason they used iTunes for the 2010 Fillmore run.

Mr. Whippy, how is your Crowes educational listening coming along?  Any impressions to share yet?

LD

Quote from: Shug on Mar 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Yep, all 5 Fillmore shows in 2010, 3 out of 5 in 2009 and 2 out of 5 in 2008.  Like many drugs, you have to keep doing more and more.  :grin:  LD and I will be at all of the Fillmore shows this coming Dec, too (cause I'm positive that will happen!)

For buying these shows, check out some of the links in my earlier posts.  Like sunflower said, there are a TON of shows for sale at www.liveblackcrowes.com, there are still a few CDs you can buy for pretty cheap at instantlive and for some reason they used iTunes for the 2010 Fillmore run.

Mr. Whippy, how is your Crowes educational listening coming along?  Any impressions to share yet?

I'm going to correct ya Shug... ALL 6 nights at the Fillmore in 2010 and my feet can testify for that!!! :thumbsup:
It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

Shug

Quote from: LD on Mar 15, 2013, 02:42 PM

I'm going to correct ya Shug... ALL 6 nights at the Fillmore in 2010 and my feet can testify for that!!! :thumbsup:

You get the highest possible award for Rock 'n' Roll Trooper for making all six nights of that run after foot surgery.  Don't get in LD's way when she is determined!! :grin:

Crispy

Quote from: Shug on Mar 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
Quote from: LD on Mar 15, 2013, 02:42 PM

You get the highest possible award for Rock 'n' Roll Trooper for making all six nights of that run after foot surgery.  Don't get in LD's way when she is determined!! :grin:

What! That is impressive amazing. There would be a helluva battle between LD and Ms. Y for Champion RnR Trooper after continuing the rock even after foot injuries.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

When he sings that last "Sister, do you even wanna try and find me" I like that he's screaming it in more than one direction
There's Still Time.........

BH

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
When he sings that last "Sister, do you even wanna try and find me" I like that he's screaming it in more than one direction

I've no time for accusations.   Or cah ohn versations.  Off all the bad bad things that you do.   

This is one of those all time GREAT drinking songs.   I've made a complete fool of myself during this song on waaay to many occasions.   

DO YOU WANT TO TRY TO FIND MEEEEE!!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

BH