Previous topic - Next topic

vespachick

Quote from: ms. yvon on Dec 12, 2014, 03:50 AM
EVER AND ALWAYS!

Quote from: ms. yvon on Jan 16, 2014, 04:33 AM
Quote from: ms. yvon on Jul 31, 2013, 01:06 AM
but this is still the jam of my dreams:
Quote from: ms. yvon on Jan 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
every morning i light a candle to hear them play Earth, Wind & Fire's "Way of the World" :beer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhW3P7_jvWY#t=193
i support your Cortez campaign, tho.  that song just kills me.  dave rawlings machine does a breathtaking version.  whew.
#CortezInPlaya  :beer:

NOW we're talking!!! :drum:
#CortezinPlaya @WaronDrugsJams
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

tee-dub

I know that it's pretty synth heavy, but when I happened to hear "Hazard" by Richard Marx this morning, I couldn't help but imagine MMJ performing it on stage under some dim blue lights.

**edit** And of course change the "leave this old Nebraska town" to "leave this old Kentucky town".

ms. yvon

i'd like to read something into both MMJ and Earth, Wind and Fire playing B'roo this summer:  that the members of MMJ would feel inspired and compelled to cover and EWF song somewhere on tour.

but.

BUT!  if that doesn't happen i will still get to see EWF at Bonnaroo in June  :cheesy:
*for the love of pete PLEASE don't let there be a scheduling conflict.  if there were i may be moved to violence.  which goes against the whole groovy vibe.  :undecided:*
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

oistheone

I juuuuust remembered that they played "Hit It and Quit It" at T5 and then watched the video a good ten times. What a sweetass cover. They need to bring this one back!

CousinEddie

Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis

CousinEddie

Also, Stay with Me - Faces

oz_lieb

girl from the north country - bob dylan
to love somebody - james carr
brown sugar / can't you hear me knocking / no expectations / salt of the earth - rolling stones
where is my mind - pixies
another saturday night - sam cooke
can't take my eyes off you - frankie valli

ms. yvon

remember that Miss You > Cobra at T5?  holy cats that blew my mind.  funky funky funky!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Crispy

Quote from: ms. yvon on Jan 25, 2015, 11:48 PM
remember that Miss You > Cobra at T5?  holy cats that blew my mind.  funky funky funky!

I remember that! Although the full-on Cobra almost made me forget about Miss You.  :thumbsup:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

walterfredo

Quote from: ms. yvon on Jan 25, 2015, 11:48 PM

The segue between the two songs was absolutely seemless. Release the damn recordings!

meltingaway

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but after listening to Derek and the Dominos, "Presence of the Lord", I feel like the boys would crush this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gZyOM-mBM

Colfax

Quote from: meltingaway on Jan 31, 2015, 10:20 PM
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but after listening to Derek and the Dominos, "Presence of the Lord", I feel like the boys would crush this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gZyOM-mBM

D&theD are my all-time favorite band. I think they'd do this one justice too. I want to make sure that you have heard the Jam disc that came out with the box set within the last 10 years. It is just 5 songs of Duane and Eric trading licks while doing speedballs in the middle of the night. It is the most amazing disc of music I've ever heard in my life.

meltingaway

Agreed. I love that instrumental album, epic jams. Its amazing what this band did in such a short time frame. They're up there at the top of the list of all time bands for me as well--imagine what they could have done given more time. Same with Blind Faith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g69EWScWE0U

If you can take the angrier guitar sound from the D&D version and combine with Steve Winwood (or Jim James of course), well goddam...heavenly.

dookie shoot bandit

With all the new covers they brought to Mexico (especially night3) this thread has definitely become even more relevant.

After looking at everyone's requests, I think ELO would be really fun.

And I don't why but I think it would be cool see them play "hold me" by Fleetwood Mac.
Jim on acoustic and vocals and Carl playing the Lindsey Buckingham parts on guitar. I heard it the other day for the first time in a long time, and just thought they would kill it.

There are so many covers I would love to see them play, but while there live, cheesy or not, it's always fun to hear these types of songs

SpaceWrangler

The Fact That My Heart's Beating IS ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED

SpaceWrangler

I will also accept Low Spark or Gimme Shelter, but Cortez the Killer has been my dream for the last decade or so

IMeMine

There are a lot of good songs on this thread.  Here are a few songs I would love to hear the guys cover for personal reasons, but my first pick is specifically for them, I think it's perfect...

Rolling Stones- Slave (with Jim walking back and forth on stage kinda yell/singing the chorus at everyone on the rail :wink: Carl on backup vocals and sax and then it would just go into an insane extended dirty jam)

http://youtu.be/mTwnExGWsAY

Little Feat- Willin' > Don't Bogart That Joint (à la the Waiting For Columbus album)
Kinks- Nothing in This World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl
Kinks- Alcohol (with a horn section)
Dire Straits- So Far Away
Billy Joel- Piano Man (cause it's just fun and Bo would get to play it big)

Neil Young- Cortez the Killer may actually be my favorite song of all time, and I do not say that lightly.  Of course I was rooting for #cortezinplaya but when I really think about it Built to Spill owns that cover.  I mean, there is no possible way MMJ is gonna top it unless they invite Doug and Neil up on stage with them.  So I'll settle for an Ambulance Blues.

oh and Harry Nilsson- Coconut
I've said it before but I wasn't joking.  He's a genius and that song is amazing.
Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

SpaceWrangler

I don't know if anyone really, truly owns Cortez. Gov't Mule plays a mean version of it. Apparently, Grace Potter and Jason Isbell do to. Just think Jacket is the perfect band to cover that song! #freeCortez! por favor!!!!!

Whilst on the Neil Young topic, I've always thought MMJ would kill "Cowgirl in the Sand"

IMeMine

Quote from: SpaceWrangler on Feb 10, 2015, 06:30 PM
I don't know if anyone really, truly owns Cortez. Gov't Mule plays a mean version of it. Apparently, Grace Potter and Jason Isbell do to. Just think Jacket is the perfect band to cover that song! #freeCortez! por favor!!!!!

Whilst on the Neil Young topic, I've always thought MMJ would kill "Cowgirl in the Sand"

Ha!  Fair enough, we all got our opinions.  Mr. Young himself owns Cortez but I gotta give the cover to Doug.  I've seen Gov't Mule play it, it's good but it doesn't touch Built To Spill.  Personally, my opinion of Warren dipped a little after he played it with Dave Matthews over and over.  I still go see Gov't Mule and I think he can play the hell out of the guitar but when it comes to that song....there is no contest.  Neil acoustic with a harmonica and Built to Spill Live are battling for the number one spot in my mind:)

IMeMine

I actually came back to this thread to add something I forgot in my previous post. 

It's my dream to hear MMJ cover ANY Talking Heads' song.  The list goes on and on.  Dream Operator would take the cake but Nothing But Flowers or This Must Be The Place or Road To Nowhere would probably be the most appropriate for them to pull off.

:beer: