If you could go back in time.......

Started by LD, Jan 17, 2013, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
1975.  Bruce at the Bottom Line in NYC.

And I am sitting with Eric.

(i would also be happy if he joined me at the February 1975 show at the Main Point 6 months prior to the release of BTR).

We're there dude!  :wink: and lining up right in front of the ga line hours early too. Shug, you're welcome to join the line.  :beer:

Jeff, another Bruce show I had tix to, but missed was at Seton Hall's Walsh Gymnasium right around the release of BTR in 75. My cousin was a student there, and had tix for him, my older brother, and myself. He bailed on us at the last minute that night because he met a coed,took her out, and gave the tix to some of his friends.

We were pissed, as we would've gone to the show without him. We still bust his chops to this day about that.

If dude had done that to me, he'd have had more than his chops busted.  :angry:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Shug

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2013, 01:20 PM
Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
I didn't go, I went to see the Dead as I always did at New Year's

Sure, rub it in!  :wink:  that would be another on my "back in time list".    :beer:

Eric, you saw Zepp and Bruce and all those other bands in the 70s and you never saw the Dead?  Can't be.  You must mean you never saw the Dead for New Year's Eve.  Well, if you saw the Dead on the East Coast in the 70s, then I think it was probably better than most West Coast shows.  Its no secret they played hotter for those fired up and boisterous East Coast crowds. 
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Crispy

Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 03:11 PM

Sure, rub it in!  :wink:  that would be another on my "back in time list".    :beer:

Eric, you saw Zepp and Bruce and all those other bands in the 70s and you never saw the Dead?  Can't be.  You must mean you never saw the Dead for New Year's Eve.  Well, if you saw the Dead on the East Coast in the 70s, then I think it was probably better than most West Coast shows.  Its no secret they played hotter for those fired up and boisterous East Coast crowds.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant just that New Year's Eve show, or maybe other NYE shows around then. One of my favorite moments from the PC/Boston run was riding around (and around and around) in the car with Tubetop and her brother, Haldon, and Eric (which was itself like going back in time). A GD show came on the satellite radio, and after the FIRST NOTE, Eric said "Winterland '78," and that's exactly what it was.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 18, 2013, 03:07 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
1975.  Bruce at the Bottom Line in NYC.

And I am sitting with Eric.

(i would also be happy if he joined me at the February 1975 show at the Main Point 6 months prior to the release of BTR).

We're there dude!  :wink: and lining up right in front of the ga line hours early too. Shug, you're welcome to join the line.  :beer:

Jeff, another Bruce show I had tix to, but missed was at Seton Hall's Walsh Gymnasium right around the release of BTR in 75. My cousin was a student there, and had tix for him, my older brother, and myself. He bailed on us at the last minute that night because he met a coed,took her out, and gave the tix to some of his friends.

We were pissed, as we would've gone to the show without him. We still bust his chops to this day about that.

If dude had done that to me, he'd have had more than his chops busted.  :angry:

Well, karma has a way of coming back around. He ended up marrying her,still is,  and not for nothing, but he's still paying for that mistake. She is without question the most miserable person in our family.   :wink: whenever I'm around her, (which isn't often thankfully) I can't help but think, if only we went to that Bruce show!  :grin:

Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 03:11 PM

Yes, Shug. No question I was  very fortunate to catch the shows I did in the 70's.

I was talking about a Dead NYE show. It was always on my bucket list, but was never able to score a ticket. Could've gone to the shows leading up to NYE, but didn't want to make the trip unless I had a NYE in hand.

I did manage to catch many East Coast shows over the years, but the closest I came to seeing them in the 70's was hanging out in the lots of Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium, summer of 76. It was a little intimidating for a 14 year old at the time, but I had fun that night, and could hear the show loud and clear. It wasn't until 81 that I actually got inside to see them, and couldn't have asked for a better seat than the on the aisle, 2nd row centers we had.  Great night, and show that was. May of 81, Glenns Falls, N.Y. I was hooked, and continued on that long strange trip til the very end.
"Where's Jim going?"

Shug

That's what I thought.  Living in the Bay Area, I got to see the Dead about 12-20 times a year within a 2 hour drive from my house, which was freakin' awesome.  I also saw lots of songs the first times they were played, cuz they'd bust out new songs in the hometown first-shows-of-the year runs.

But I'd trade all that for getting to easily go on North East Coast tours with the cities and colleges so close together and the way the band consistently played out there, as you know firsthand!  I'd say East Coast Deadheads had it better than West Coast Heads.  I shoulda done more travelling, but I was really poor back then.

Shug

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
Shug - Go out and try to find this one.  As good as it gets.

http://www.springsteenliveinconcert.com/6664192-DVD1975-England-London-HammersmithOdeon-1975-11-18

Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like a boot with all the mention of incomplete songs.  Is it the same show as included in the 30th anniv. version of Born To Run?  If not, how do they compare in performance?

MrWhippy

I was never really that much into the grunge scene, but I do remember in '91 there was a triple bill at the Cow Palace in SF for New Year's Eve - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers that was probably a pretty epic show.  That was when Eddie Vedder still climbed into the rafters and all that crazy stuff. I didn't go, I went to see the Dead as I always did at New Year's.

http://diffuser.fm/rare-red-hot-chili-peppers-nirvana-pearl-jam-concert-poster-makes-its-way-to-ebay/

Hey Shug, I was in the same boat that new year's eve in San Francisco.  Going to see the Dead as usual but knowing I really should have been at the Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Chili Peppers show.  Didn't help that the Dead kind of sucked that night.

I'm also with you in that I was a poor college student in the Bay Area in the late 80's who saw all the west coast Dead shows and would have loved to see them more back east where the really exciting stuff seemed to happen. 

I still managed to hit a good amount of east coast ones, though, thanks to strategically timed family visits back east  :evil:.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ericm

Ahhhh yes, the ol' strategically timed family visits.  :thumbsup:  came in very handy back then, and still does even today. :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

headhunter

Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 03:54 PM

http://www.springsteenliveinconcert.com/6664192-DVD1975-England-London-HammersmithOdeon-1975-11-18

Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like a boot with all the mention of incomplete songs.  Is it the same show as included in the 30th anniv. version of Born To Run?  If not, how do they compare in performance?

No and it wasn't a boot.  It was a legit sale by Bruce but sold out quickly.  You can still find the cd version on AMazon but the DVD/cd combo has become hard to find.  Worthwhile if you can pick it up.   The best authorized Bruce live show out there imo.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Shug

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
I was never really that much into the grunge scene, but I do remember in '91 there was a triple bill at the Cow Palace in SF for New Year's Eve - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers that was probably a pretty epic show.  That was when Eddie Vedder still climbed into the rafters and all that crazy stuff. I didn't go, I went to see the Dead as I always did at New Year's.

http://diffuser.fm/rare-red-hot-chili-peppers-nirvana-pearl-jam-concert-poster-makes-its-way-to-ebay/

Hey Shug, I was in the same boat that new year's eve in San Francisco.  Going to see the Dead as usual but knowing I really should have been at the Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Chili Peppers show.  Didn't help that the Dead kind of sucked that night.

I was thinking the same thing when I thought back about that show.  :grin:

Shug

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 05:34 PM
Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 03:54 PM

No and it wasn't a boot.  It was a legit sale by Bruce but sold out quickly.  You can still find the cd version on AMazon but the DVD/cd combo has become hard to find.  Worthwhile if you can pick it up.   The best authorized Bruce live show out there imo.

Thanks, HH, for the good info.  I will try to check it out.  I like the setlist!

Shug

Back to topic:

Derek and The Dominoes Fillmore East 1970, even though there was no Duane or second guitar  :cry:

Got to Get Better in a Little While (Live at the Fillmore on Oct 24 1970) - Derek and the Dominos

ralph

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

capt. scotty

Quote from: APR on Jan 17, 2013, 09:35 PM
I was having this exact conversation with a friend of mine the other night.  Keep in mind I turned 20 in 1991 so quickly I came up with

1.  seeing Pearl Jam way more often

2. seeing Nirvana, Jeff Buckley, and Blind Melon at least once since I never saw a single one of them in person.

I think it would have been awesome to see all the great rock bands in the 70's, but Id rather not be in my 60's right now approacing my retirement, so I think I would go along these lines. This would be the perfect age to have experienced the grunge and alternative explosion. I wouldve loved to see all those bands - Nirvana, STP, AIC, Rage Against the Machine, Beasties, Bush, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, Pavement, Screaming Trees, RHCP, Sublime, Jane's Addiction, etc - in their prime (and for the most part peak), but it would be much more than that as well. Outside of that genre there is a ton of stuff I didnt really listen to until the 2000's like Buckley, Ben Harper, and Phish. I wouldve loved even more to see them back then during at least for the latter two artists easily their prime in the mid-late 90's, to have been able to see things like the Big Cypress Y2K NYE run or the Hampton run in '97. And then to top it all off my favorite era of hip hop is the early-mid 90's which I didnt really listen to much until I turned 20 so I wouldve been right there for that.

That being said, it feels good to still be in my 20's now and have had the chance for MMJ to be that band in their prime now, and really, theyre my favorite band of the bunch anyway. Although if I were a few years older I wouldnt have first start listening to them while I was focused on mostly jam bands, and I know I wouldve seen them before 2008. While this year has been a rebirth of live MMJ IMO, I really wish I couldve seen some of their headlining shows from 03-05 or so. Hell, I went to a showed they played in 2004 when I was at PSU, had ISM for a solid year and that point, but thought the better idea was to have a few more beers and just make sure I get there for Jurassic 5 and Ben Harper. God I was stupid! Actually, that's a show I wish I can go back in time for because I missed MMJ and J5 and left after Ben Harper because I had no interest in seeing Dave Matthews. I would go back and take DMB off the bill, have Ben play for more than 30 minutes, and have MMJ headline.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MrWhippy

If I could go back in time, one thing I've thought I'd love to see is the Richard and Linda Thompson US tour from 1982.  They were in the process of getting divorced, but had this tour booked, which was their first time touring the US, so they went through with it. 

Supposedly there were nights where Linda tried to kill Richard onstage.  I talked so someone who saw the San Francisco stop on that tour and in the middle of the set Linda charged Richard and tried to break a bottle over his head.  Also it was supposedly fairly common on that tour that she would walk over and kick him in the shins while he was playing. 

Also, Ralph, Danny Whitten-era Crazy Horse.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

FiddleCastro

Being born in 1988, I totally missed some killer stuff

The Who - Live at Hull 1970. They recorded two shows in 1970, Hull and Leeds, the Leeds recording became Live at Leeds, which is considered one of the greatest live records of all time. However, according to Who lore, Hull was the better show, but the bass tracks were badly damaged.  In 2011, they released Live at Hull, however it uses bass tracks from Live at Leeds. So as a Who fanatic, this would be the Who show I would choose.

Who-Young Man Blues+Substitute (Hull Live 1970)

The Clash at anytime with Strummer and Jones

Clutch, Early shows
Clutch full set 7.26.96 (Mississippi Nights club, St. Louis)

and The Dead of course.

I'd also show up on time to a Wilco show. Maybe.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

ericm

Wow Rich, you would've enjoyed a summer show I went to in the early 80's at old JFK Stadium in Philly. It was obviously after Moon had passed but The Clash >Santana with The Who headlining. Quite a day, and if you find that time machine, you could knock out two of your bands in one day. :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

FiddleCastro

Quote from: ericm on Jan 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
Wow Rich, you would've enjoyed a summer show I went to in the early 80's at old JFK Stadium in Philly. It was obviously after Moon had passed but The Clash >Santana with The Who headlining. Quite a day, and if you find that time machine, you could knock out two of your bands in one day. :wink:

The Who & The Clash together, that's a total dream show of high school me.  That sounds awesome! I think that show may be during Pete's angry time. And IMO, Daltrey's voice was at its best around then.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

LD

Would have loved to have seen  Plant and Page - No Quarter tour.  It's unfortunate they did not include JPJ on this tour.  The drummer, Michael Lee, is easily on my list of top 5 drummers of all time and IMO totally underrated. 

Thank you starts around 3:38

No Quarter - Thank You - Jimmy Page & Robert Plant

Michael Lee with Thin Lizzy:

Michael Lee (Thin Lizzy- Bad Reputation)

It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

Shug

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 19, 2013, 08:52 AM
If I could go back in time, one thing I've thought I'd love to see is the Richard and Linda Thompson US tour from 1982.  They were in the process of getting divorced, but had this tour booked, which was their first time touring the US, so they went through with it. 

Supposedly there were nights where Linda tried to kill Richard onstage.  I talked so someone who saw the San Francisco stop on that tour and in the middle of the set Linda charged Richard and tried to break a bottle over his head.  Also it was supposedly fairly common on that tour that she would walk over and kick him in the shins while he was playing. 

Also, Ralph, Danny Whitten-era Crazy Horse.   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Whippy, you and I being probably the only Richard Thompson fans on this board, this is probably more like a private conversation, oh well.  yeah, that '82 American tour was the best for live RT.  My favorite recording of Richard live is the Chicago tour stop.  There was something about that fierce rhythm section, Simon Nicol's singing and rhythm guitar playing was at its peak for some reason and that band just gelled.  The jam in Sloth just rips!  And yeah its weird that that musically the band was so tight and inspired when Richard and Linda were not getting along, to say the least.  The only weak point is that weird warbly choking thing her voice was going through at the time that I guess she got over.  Maybe is was psychological?

I have a bunch of live RT if you want some, let me know.