TOTALS

TTF — 50.5
At Dawn — 59
ISM — 64
Z — 61
Evil Urges — 30.5
Circuital — 26
ROLASOG — 39
10: T5 (At Dawn, Z, Evil Urges) 11: VA, MSG, 2012: BK, Cap Theater 1-2 15: GovBall, XPN, Beacon 2+3

EverythingChanges

I will never understand Evil Urges hate.  Ever.  :shocked:
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Tired Eyes

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 06, 2013, 01:15 PM

And I will never understand an MMJ fan ranking EU above TTF.  To each their own.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Feb 06, 2013, 01:32 PM

And I will never understand an MMJ fan ranking EU above TTF.  To each their own.

That's an easy explanation.  If we were going to compare live versions of both TTF wins, but we are comparing the album versions.  TTF is not fully realized on the album, it is the live shows that bring it life.  Listen to War Begun (studio) and then War Begun at PC, huge difference.  The Dark is another great example.  When it is played live it captures so much more raw energy when compared to the studio.  Evil Urges (studio) already has the meat on its bones that the TFF (studio) is lacking.  That is why I voted the way I did.

e_wind

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 06, 2013, 01:55 PM
Quote from: Tired Eyes on Feb 06, 2013, 01:32 PM

That's an easy explanation.  If we were going to compare live versions of both TTF wins, but we are comparing the album versions.  TTF is not fully realized on the album, it is the live shows that bring it life.  Listen to War Begun (studio) and then War Begun at PC, huge difference.  The Dark is another great example.  When it is played live it captures so much more raw energy when compared to the studio.  Evil Urges (studio) already has the meat on its bones that the TFF (studio) is lacking.  That is why I voted the way I did.

gonna have to go with TE on this one. I would argue that the style of recording used for EU left it feeling hollow.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Evil Urges (studio) already has the meat on its bones that the TFF (studio) is lacking.

Zebras vs. crawfish

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 06, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evil Urges (studio) already has the meat on its bones that the TFF (studio) is lacking.

Zebras vs. crawfish

But you've never tried a Zebra, I'm sure.  Who knows, it might be tasty!

TTF's songs live are some of the best for sure.  I just feel like the studio album is a little less realized and a little less full. 

Also, I'm apparently one of the only board members who likes Sec Walkin' and Look at You.  The only songs I find really weak on the album are Two Halves and Highly Suspicious.  However, the latter is meant to be kind of silly and different, so it does accomplish what it set out for. 

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 06, 2013, 02:49 PM

Zebras vs. crawfish

TTF's songs live are some of the best for sure.  I just feel like the studio album is a little less realized and a little less full. 

Also, I'm apparently one of the only board members who likes Sec Walkin' and Look at You.  The only songs I find really weak on the album are Two Halves and Highly Suspicious.  However, the latter is meant to be kind of silly and different, so it does accomplish what it set out for.

no, there is a REASON people don't eat zebra

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 06, 2013, 02:56 PM

Zebras vs. crawfish

http://treesnevermeet.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/zebra-tastes-good/

Another article said it tastes like beef.  I like beef.

I assume most people don't eat it because it is exotic, expensive, and a horse-like mammal.  People tend to avoid horse meat, probably since they have road them their whole lives.  It would be like eating a dog (man's best friend).

e_wind

I dont know why, but dog (mans best friend) just made me laugh out loud. It's like whoever used to post cocaine (cocaina) all the time.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 06, 2013, 03:01 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 06, 2013, 02:56 PM

Zebras vs. crawfish

http://treesnevermeet.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/zebra-tastes-good/

Another article said it tastes like beef.  I like beef.

I assume most people don't eat it because it is exotic, expensive, and a horse-like mammal.  People tend to avoid horse meat, probably since they have road them their whole lives.  It would be like eating a dog (man's best friend).

Are you really arguing that zebra meat tastes better than boiled crawfish? Oh wait, you are saying Evil Urges is a better album that TTF, so maybe you do believe this. Great! Tell you what, you keeping serving up those zebra burgers to your friend and relatives, getting all crazy on Librarian, while we're over here having a crawfish boil listening to TTF.  :beer: :beer:

e_wind

do you have to use live crawfish in a crawfish boil? I want to have a crafish boil now, but I feel like getting live ones will be a problem for me

EverythingChanges

I still think you all are thinking of TTF (The Tennessee Fire) in terms of live performances and not studio.

EU (Evil Urges) definitely has its duds, but it has some of MMJ's (My Morning Jacket's) best tracks too.  Perhaps it doesn't sit well with some of the folks on here because of the 50/50 (half amazing half meh) feel of the album.  Regardless, it was what got me hooked in the first place.

IFAWE_WH (I'm fucking around with E_Wind here)

Tracy 2112

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 06, 2013, 03:36 PM
do you have to use live crawfish in a crawfish boil? I want to have a crafish boil now, but I feel like getting live ones will be a problem for me

you gots to cook them live, like lobsters

Tracy 2112

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 06, 2013, 03:51 PM
I still think you all are thinking of TTF (The Tennessee Fire) in terms of live performances and not studio.

no, you are incorrect with that assumption

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
I discovered MMJ 36 days before the release of Evil Urges.  However, during those 36 days, I listened extensively to the back catalog and tons of tapings.  As a fan of Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead, I found the early recordings of MMJ reminded me of early Floyd and Dead tracks.  The Dark sounds like something Syd Barrett would write.  I also hear The Doors in early MMJ.  So I think we bring our previous tastes to the way we regard MMJ, old and new.
No one is wrong.  You like what you like.  I'm glad I had those 36 days to discover the early greatness of Jim and MMJ, yet find plenty in albums like EU and Circuital to enjoy. 

I'll play...

TTF — 4.5
At Dawn — 5
ISM — 5.5
Z — 5
Evil Urges — 3
Circuital — 3.5
ROLASOG — 3.5

TOTALS

TTF — 55
At Dawn — 64
ISM — 69.5
Z — 66
Evil Urges — 33.5
Circuital — 29.5
ROLASOG — 42.5
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Good point johnnYYac, my previous band tastes do melt over into MMJ.

I love Pink Floyd (post Barrett more so) and I feel a Dark Side vibe at the beginning of Smokin' and into Touch Pt. 2.  Strangulation is another great example.  It is super dark and powerful, which is what I love about Floyd's music.

Now if MMJ covered Dogs I'd be all like  :cheesy:.  I could settle for an Us and Them cover though...

Crispy

Man, I don't mean to be an asshole...and I don't care how much you hate me, Tracy, I love you for linking that eBn oZn track.  :thumbsup:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"