Main Menu

Thurston Moore

Started by sweatboard, Mar 05, 2013, 12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Thurston Moore has always been a favorite of mine (named one of my cats after him). Yes, I do have a cat named Thurston Moore....sorry girls, I'm already married.  I'm sure the break from Kim and Sonic Youth was difficult...but it's awesome to see that he has a new band and is still kicking it.  I can see him letting go and still willing to fight to be......

Chelsea Light Moving "Alighted" Northampton, MA 2.24.13
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

55 years old and taking it back to the basement.  I Love It!!  I love that he can do that.  I love that he IS doing that.

Chelsea Light Moving, could possibly be the best thing he's done to date...he just never stops amazing me.

This new record is yet another evolution but touches on so many things I love about his past shit....He just nailed it...I thought Psychic Hearts was amazing...... but this record just blows it away.

Plus..that drummer f'ing KILLS!!!  I'm a big Steve Shelly fan but this new rhythm section is probably what Thurston needs these days....it seems like it's lletting him loose himself in a way that I'm sure he needs right now. 

sweatboard

MrWhippy

Agreed.  Chelsea Light Moving is great.  Very psyched about seeing them in early April in DC. 

It's been hard to get my head around a world without Sonic Youth, but it's been cool to see Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore doing cool new things.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

APR

Had to mention that I listened to SY's Dirty straight thru for the first time in a while.  Unreal!

MrWhippy

Quote from: APR on Feb 15, 2014, 08:46 PM
Had to mention that I listened to SY's Dirty straight thru for the first time in a while.  Unreal!

Yep, that's a great one. 

I saw Chelsea Light Moving in both April and November last year, and thought they were way better in November.  Seemed like the band is turning more and more into a vehicle for Thurston to shred like a madman, which is great.  Also the new songs they did in November bode well for the next album.

I also saw Lee Ranaldo's new band (Lee Ranaldo and the Dust) a few weeks ago when I went up to New York City to see Neil Young.  I was really impressed with them.  Lee has stepped out and written some fantastic songs in the last couple of albums he has done.

APR

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
Quote from: APR on Feb 15, 2014, 08:46 PM

Yep, that's a great one. 

I saw Chelsea Light Moving in both April and November last year, and thought they were way better in November.  Seemed like the band is turning more and more into a vehicle for Thurston to shred like a madman, which is great.  Also the new songs they did in November bode well for the next album.

I also saw Lee Ranaldo's new band (Lee Ranaldo and the Dust) a few weeks ago when I went up to New York City to see Neil Young.  I was really impressed with them.  Lee has stepped out and written some fantastic songs in the last couple of albums he has done.

Cool.  I am in for the next Chelsea Light Moving show.  Edit-- I didn't know they were in Balt in November.  I guess it will be a while until they're back.

MrWhippy

Quote from: APR on Feb 15, 2014, 09:27 PM
Cool.  I am in for the next Chelsea Light Moving show.  Edit-- I didn't know they were in Balt in November.  I guess it will be a while until they're back.

I actually saw them in Austin, TX, in November at Fun Fun Fun Fest, but they did play at the Ottobar in Baltimore as well in either October or Nov. 

It may not be too long before they are back, they have a crop of new songs, so maybe they will have a new album and tour more soon.