Main Menu

Silversun Pickups

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 05, 2013, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Silversun Pickups have been a favorite of mine since I stumbled upon some unplugged gig they did on Palladia.  I've got the full discography on vinyl and play 'em frequently.  I've never seen them live, however.

I balked at two shows nearby (well, 3 hours away) late last year, but just announced is State Theatre in Portland, ME on May 7th.  I love the venue, so Tuesday be damned, I'm making the 2.5 hour trip.

Anyone seen these guys? 

Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods (Full Album)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

I saw them in 2010 and enjoyed the show.   The drummer is great and particularly cool to watch.  I liked them and their second album a lot when it came out.  I like their sound, but I couldn't get into their third album.  Their songs from across their albums started to sound all the same to me.  Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.  I haven't listened to them in a while due to finding other music (largely due to this forum).

If you're a fan, you will definitely like the show.  Just don't go in with MMJ-like expectations.

On another note, (while I really like their plugged in sound),  I was not a fan of that unplugged Palladia gig.

he.who.forgets

Saw them in 09 and agree with APR that the drummer is fun as shit to watch.  Good live show, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

johnnYYac

A lot of people compare them to Smashing Pumpkins.  I'm not really familiar with them, so the comparison is lost on me.  Maybe that's a good thing, as SSPU don't sound derivative to me. 

When I saw the unplugged thing, I was drawn to Nikki on acoustic bass  and their drummer with the exaggeratedly high cymbal he has to reach for. 

Brian Aubert reminds me of Jeremy Davies (Saving Private Ryan, Justified) but has a surprising voice. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing them live, and hope to see some Maine peeps join me.  I appreciate the honest feedback. 

APR

They remind of of the Pumpkins a lot as well.  I was a big Pumpkins fan for a while in the mid 90s.  Another similarity to the Pumpkins in my opinion is the better rocking electric  sets versus the acoustic (for both of these SP bands).

That's the cymbal!  The drummer is cool.  You'll have a lot of fun at the show.

MrWhippy

I've seen them live a couple of times before.  Once opening form Muse and once at a festival.  I enjoyed it both times, but wasn't blown away by it.

Their sound reminds me of the Pumpkins, too, but I'd say the Pumpkins (in their prime) were a much better live band than SSPU in their use of dynamics and ability to jam or play vastly different version of songs from tour to tour.  From what I've heard of SSPU, they don't vary their songs all that much live.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

capt. scotty

Liked Carnavas a good bit. I thought Swoon was decent, but it didnt really click for me. I realize they had another once since then (it doesnt feel like that album was released in 2009  :shocked: ). I'll try to give the newest one a listen.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 06, 2013, 07:58 PM
Liked Carnavas a good bit. I thought Swoon was decent, but it didnt really click for me. I realize they had another once since then (it doesnt feel like that album was released in 2009  :shocked: ). I'll try to give the newest one a listen.
Hey Scotty. That YouTube I included in my OP is the entire new album, released last year.

manonthemoon

Never seen them live, but will be checking them at DC101 Chili Cookoff with Soundgarden as the headliner.  I haven't listened to their entire catalouge, but I have liked what I have heard for the most part.  I can see where they might be compaired to SP especially since Brians voice isn't thatstrong of one kind of like corgans, but to me they have a more of a sonic sound that I really like.  Plus like you guys pointed out the drummer does look like Animal from the Muppets when he plays, pretty awesome.
Alive or Just Breathing

tdb810

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 06, 2013, 03:56 PM
I've seen them live a couple of times before.  Once opening form Muse and once at a festival.  I enjoyed it both times, but wasn't blown away by it.

Their sound reminds me of the Pumpkins, too, but I'd say the Pumpkins (in their prime) were a much better live band than SSPU in their use of dynamics and ability to jam or play vastly different version of songs from tour to tour.  From what I've heard of SSPU, they don't vary their songs all that much live.

Saw them in 2009 at APW. I had been listening to them for a few months prior, and was totally loving panic switch, lazy eye and some others.   I enjoyed their set, but like Whippy wasn't blown away. I was a huge pumpkins fan and have seen them twice - once in the early 90s and once in 2007. I've heard th e comparisons also, female bass, lead singer femmmm
sounding male, initials, sound etc. I can see some of that.  I don't think I would travel too far to see them again, but I'm happy I got to see them.

.....Back at the Model Home